Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

yep. i did chris.

Comment

guess no one here owns a model 8 or spectrum....

Comment

AK47 has one, and his thread answers some of your questions. His definitely has the JE-1500. You can tell by the mini switch between the pots.

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/366...lusive-Model-8

More Model 8 threads:

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...4&pf=p&pdl=300

Comment

In addition to the great stuff dg offered:

- Don't expect face melting metal tone. They're stacked singles, yes, but they still have single coil sound.
          - Not active pickups; they have a midrange control which is great for the first hour you have the guitar and want to make fake wah wah tone.

That said, I had a spectrum and enjoyed it because it reminded me of Beck's orange Soloist. That said, Dinky bodies and I don't mix. Felt like I was holding a pointy Uke.

Sully
          Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
          Sully Guitars on Facebook
          Sully Guitars on Google+
          Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

thanks, dg, for providing the links. i did a search before i posted the thread but didn't find these two links :think: i must not have been thorough enough.

based on ak47's description, i guess i have a spectrum, not a model 8. so both websites above posted a wrong picture for model 8.

i'm still a little confused about the je1500 and its function, as oppose to a je1200. i'll do a little research...

given the characteristics of the stacked singles sound, i might modify the bridge to a humbucker.... not sure yet.

thanks. i'll post pics of the guitar once i get her.

Originally posted by dg View Post
            AK47 has one, and his thread answers some of your questions. His definitely has the JE-1500. You can tell by the mini switch between the pots.

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/366...lusive-Model-8

More Model 8 threads:

http://www.google.com/#sclient=psy&h...4&pf=p&pdl=300

Comment

It's just a midrange filter. If you roll the knob back and forth, it'll make a wah sound. Granted, you can use it like a tone knob, but I found it as more of a novelty than anything else. I put a hot rails in my spectrum; that way you don't have to rout the body. Win win.
              Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
              Sully Guitars on Facebook
              Sully Guitars on Google+
              Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Moku, as for whether it's a Spectrum or Model 8, I'd use the headstock logo as the most important factor. Model Series logo = Model 8, toothpaste logo = Spectrum. Judging by the old threads and some of the pics, I think the specs for the Model 8 may have changed during production right up until they changed the headstock logo & renamed it the Spectrum. For example, I think some had JT6 trems and some later ones may have had a factory JT-590. Even though it didn't officially appear on import Charvels until '89, the 590 was available in late '88 and was being used on USA Jacksons, so I can see how some of the Model 8s could've ended up with one.

Comment

thanks again, guys. i may get a hot rails to save from modification... but 3 stacked singles look kinda weird. i'm used to seeing s/s/h config. i'll wait and see how i feel when i get her. as for the headstock, it has toothpaste logo. it's supposed to arrive on monday....

Comment

well, looks like it's a spectrum.... but modified.

ordered a spectrum pickguard from pickguard heaven to fit on this thing... but looks like someone yanked the je-1500 unit out of the electronic cavity and replaced the toggle switch with a knob

but at least the schaller trem is still there--just no trem arm housing and arm. already ordered a schaller ones

i'm inclined to paint the body... not into this blue. i bought this as a project to messed around with. i'm thinking teal color.... or something wild....
                    Last edited by moku; 08-21-2011, 05:43 PM.

Comment

well, i decided that i suck at painting/refinishing guitars so i just assembled it together. finally the pickguard heaven custom spectrum pickupguard came in so... here are some pics. i'm just going to have fun with it now until i decide what pickups to put in, if i do:

need a white truss rod cover:

yeah, sully, definitely not metal tone w/ these singles but i do like the tone.... all my other guitars produce 80s metal tone, so this is a nice change.

Comment

Some of those came with a chrome JT-6 IIRC the only model to get the chrome one.
                        I had an orange spectrum years ago.Great guitar.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

interesting... i guess it would have to be a non-recessed floating setup then.

btw, can anyone educate me about how to decipher the serial number to know wht year this was made? 317259... (made btn '89-'91 but maybe someone can narrow it down more?) i'll try to see what i can find in the meantime. thanks!

Comment

1989, among the earliest serials for the 1989 model year. The problem here is the old Model Series still had an abundance of parts remaining and consequently you can find the old Charvel logo, technically 1988 model guitars, still made into the 32XXXX. Not common, but definitely happened.

Mitch
                            AxeD
                            Mitch
                            AxeDealers/Guitarsehole

Comment

thanks, mitch, for letting me know. so i'm guessing the "9" in the last digit mean it's '89?

Comment

Unfortunately, no. The last digit isn't code for anything. The first three digits can provide you with the best quick n dirty snapshot of when a Nagano guitar was made. To zero in from there, tho, entails a long Q & A list about the guitar.
                                Mitch
                                AxeDealers/Guitarsehole

Comment

Working...
                                X