No announcement yet.

Guitar Body Roundover and Router Bits

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

y'know, every now and then I toy with the idea of building myself a table and having a crack at building my own. But I can always count on you guys to scare me out of it
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
      Aptly named. I would want chainmail gear to do any work with that thing spinning at high rpms.
      Hm....not a bad idea!

Originally posted by ginsambo View Post
      Yeah, that's the beast exactly! But I found out the green Trend range is kack, apparently hobby/DIY range and the bearings burn out, so luckily found an online supplier of bespoke stuff which comes highly reccomended from UK router forums for next day delivery - didn't know there were such things.

I'II go with an inch bit then and go progressive for the bodies, although might try the death spinny will do for the softwood ("Redwood" - Scots Pine), although it is soft and only really needs a sand. Hey thanks man!

I always find that wearing good ear defenders as well as goggles helps me to remain calm and not shit myself in woodworking gone bad situations, like it focuses the other senses and you can have a piece of hardwood shrapnel completely lodged in your forehead but it doesn't phase you.
      I like the earplugs as well; with certain woods, I'll not only have glasses, earplugs, but will also sometimes wear my filtration mask; turns out I'm allergic to sawdust. What a coincidence! The plugs can definitely help center you, but here's a pic of what that bit can do when you try to take off a liiiiiiittle too much:

It was totally fixable, but that's some dense mahogany. Scared the living shit outta me when it happened.

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
      y'know, every now and then I toy with the idea of building myself a table and having a crack at building my own. But I can always count on you guys to scare me out of it
      I dunno man, I definitely don't wanna discourage anyone from doing that sort of thing; it can be insanely rewarding.

Sully
      Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
      Sully Guitars on Facebook
      Sully Guitars on Google+
      Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

That is some serious, spinny of death woodworking gone bad shit there Sully.

Must be the hardest area to do where you are routing against a long run of endgrain on an apex. Done my homework on that - like back routing into it and gently nudging it etc.... But I think the reality will be quite different, hopefully amusing and I escape with my digits intact. Wood will always have it's own personality to let you know about, just when you are least expecting it anyway.

I particularly like trying to rescue splintered hardwood strips on the tablesaw which envitably turn into flying darts of death. I've ordered my own Spinny of death today so should be here Saturday, along with some other less hazardeous trimmer bits, so maybe I am thinking...I should wear my welding mask? The instructions for those 2" bits over here reckon about 1/10" max is all you can rout off in a single pass, and that is going with the grain in softer woods. So I can see how it can become a nightmare.

Did you suffer any shrapnel wounds from that?

I do think you are missing a trick using ear plugs. I don't know how hot it gets there, but you should try ear defenders. I use them for 4 hours straight at a time all day, most days outside. They take you to this serene laa laa place where you develop super concentration and super strength and absolutely nothing can harm you. Then you take them off, get in the van, get some shopping done at the supermarket and have a noise information overload induced panic attack because everything seems like it's at 1000Db.

And I feckin hate tropical hardwood dust, Mahogany, Albizia, Teak, Sapele etc. I think is is just naturally irritating, very fine and has something very, very nasty in it. Certainly too much of it will cause lung cancers long term. I think most other woods are OK but I would seriously not want to be a cabinet maker for a living. Thanks christ my talents preclude me from it. Probably a blessing that you are allergic to be honest, given how much you work with them, means you have to PPE. Paving stones are similar, limestone is OK, but you have to watch cutting in sandstone slabs etc. I still haven't bought a wet saw kit and too much of that dust is like old fashioned fibreglass = major silicosis, but as long as the wind is blowing away from me, perhaps into the customer's neighbour's garden, whilst their neighbour is hanging out their washing I am good to go!
        Last edited by ginsambo; 10-11-2012, 11:13 AM.
        You can't really be jealous of something you can't fathom.

Comment

Working...
        X