No announcement yet.

Okay, here it comes: Jackson sl1 90' -intonation etc

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Don't touch the truss rod!!! You probably don't need to. None of what you are doing should have any real impact on the neck's curvature (I guess it COULD have a slight effect from BARELY changing the direction of tension but I can't imagine it would be noticeable. One for the engineers I guess).

I am not a big believer that touching the truss rod is ONLY for experts...I think the damage you can do, unless you are really careless, is less than people think. But still, for this I don't think there is any reason to mess with it.

I do not think that you will get slippage due to the lubricant getting into the intonation screws. If you do, it's because the screws need to be replaced anyway or the baseplate is stripped.... in which case there are a few things you can do short of getting a new baseplate....we'll cross that bridge if we get to it. The threads on those screws have a pretty tight pitch (not sure if that's the word...but they have lots of threads like a machine screw, not steep like a wood screw) so I don't think they're going to unscrew themselves without help.

One other thing I noticed..and it's hard to tell, but it looks like on the first fret on the low e side that you might be getting a little bit of fret lifting. Again, no the end of the world, but if you do end up taking it in to a luthier at some point it's something you could point out to get it back where it needs to be. Not a horrible problem at all, especially since it's on the low e. If it was on the other side, you'd feel it sometimes, but not so much since it's up near the first position.

Don't be afraid!! You gotta learn might as well be now. Just don't FORCE anything and take your time. If you have other questions or something doesn't seem right STOP and post again...I'm going to go grab some beers soon but someone will be along to help out.

Oh and Dave has some good advice- Give the screws a little shake when the trem is off if you go that route...should tell you how well they're holding up.
    Last edited by Vass; 05-22-2011, 04:34 PM.

Comment

fair n square! but .. i have have already touched the truss rod ... But i can just screw it back in position (if i know where the start position was).

Comment

and what do you mean with the fret lifting? is that also the problem with the high e, that it gets attached under the fret?

Comment

Could be. On the low e side it LOOKS to me like the fret is lifting away from the binding. Can you fit a fingernail in a little gap there? If so it's lifting. If it's doing the same thing on the other side, then yeah...you bet that's why the e being so thin could get caught in there.

Just remember LITTLE TURNS in the truss rod have big effects. If you can get it right where it was, great. But don't be turning it like crazy. A quarter turn is IMO ALOT considering I don't think this buzz has anything to do with your truss rod.

If you can take a picture of the fret on the high E side we can take a look...but again, if you try to stick a finger nail in there and it gets between the fret end and the binding, it's lifting. Not a huge disaster but something to get fixed some time.

Comment

I hope your are drinking beer right now!
            Okay I can't get my nail in between the fret and fretboard. I can feel that it is lifted a little -thereby i can feel an edge.
            The camera is pretty close to the object so maybe it seems worse? dont know.

Comment

Originally posted by Vass View Post
              Could be. On the low e side it LOOKS to me like the fret is lifting away from the binding. Can you fit a fingernail in a little gap there? If so it's lifting. If it's doing the same thing on the other side, then yeah...you bet that's why the e being so thin could get caught in there.

Just remember LITTLE TURNS in the truss rod have big effects. If you can get it right where it was, great. But don't be turning it like crazy. A quarter turn is IMO ALOT considering I don't think this buzz has anything to do with your truss rod.

If you can take a picture of the fret on the high E side we can take a look...but again, if you try to stick a finger nail in there and it gets between the fret end and the binding, it's lifting. Not a huge disaster but something to get fixed some time.
              Okay Vass, long time no see. (i only wuoted you to get your attention).
              1. I have given the pivots teflon tape: they were totally loose in the bridge :S
              2. I have added chapstick on the pivots to lubricate it.
              3. Turned the pivots one time to the left. (basically just lifted the bridge one turn)
              BUT.
              Still i don't why the high e and b goes out of tune after using the whammy. Maybe the saddle that holds the high e is a little bit damaged so that the string doesnt lay tight.
              I also think that the strings have very high action at the 12-24th frets.
              Thanks!

Comment

Still i dont know if I have kranked the truss-rod too much. i thought i needed relief, but i just needed the higher bridge and bla. bla.
                because of the high action at the 12th fret i dont know how good the truss-rod is tightened

Comment

Dude if you don't know how good the truss-rod is tightened........How high is the action at the 12-24th frets?
                  do not crank the truss rod more then 1/4 turn at A time. Then wait A day or so..for action... reaction.

Comment

okay, but i dont know the measures or how its supposed to be.
                    im lost

Comment

Send that axe to me...I'll fix it!

Comment

Jackson sets the necks almost flat(no relief).Too much relief and your action will be too high so if the neck is dead straight just lower the bridge a little and no you wont hurt the trem pivot post turning them with string tension.
                        Post pics of where you are with it now.
                        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

okay, i can try that but take a look at these pics.

So im just waiting in pain. Uhm the guitar goes constantly out of tune. the guitar didnt go out tune before i changed the string and all the bullshit, but now i can even hear it drop down after i tuned it.

/jakse

Comment

My advice - take it in and have it set up.
                            It sounds like it's beyond your skill level, and at this point i can see the neck has way too much relief and you don't want to be messing with the truss rod if you don't know what your doing. In fact usually there should hardly ever be a need to adjust the truss rod. In 25 years i have rarely ever had to mess with them. Some climates may be more severe on a neck, but usually once they are set they are set. Unless you have a bad or really thin neck or drastic change in string gauge or tuning they don't usually need to be touched. I let my guitars go thru the seasons and the relief can change a tiny bit but not enough to bother me at all. Imo the less you mess with the truss rod the better. The are more for extreme case scenarios imo.
                            Take it to someone who can set it up for you correctly, maybe try to get some pointers from them if you can. Or read up on the tons of info out there on how to set up a floyd rose. Try Youtube, i'm sure there must be a plethora of videos on the subject.

Comment

Okay! some weeks ago i got my Jackson back from the luthier. .... It's amazng. I can't describe how good it feels. He fixed everything on that guitar. Fromheadstock to potmetres. I payed 1600 danish kroners. Then u can do the math in a calculater
                              Damnit its good. I almost believe that i can throw my guitar in to a wall and will still tune.

/the happy guy

Comment

Originally posted by jakse View Post
                                i payed 1600 danish kroners.
                                $ 303.68 usd
                                "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Working...
                                X