Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which pickups for 80's hair metal in san dimas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by straycat View Post
    J90-C is a bad ass pick up..........................really it is no kidding.
    I have to agree, it is not a bad pickup at all.
    "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
      try a Duncan Jazz in the neck. nice pickup. standard on USA Rhoads models.

I cant imagine a better pickup for 80's hair metal than a JB. I know alot of people disagree with me. but I think they are greatly misunderstood pickups. they shine IMO. but tone is a very subjective thing.
      Agreed. DeMartini, Mustaine, Friedman, Jake E. Lee(?), Lynch (sometimes), about everyone from the 80s had a JB in their guitar at some point. It's the same wind as the Duncan Distortion, the Dist just has an oversized ceramic magnet. To warm it up try a 250K pot first, that may do it. If you are more adventurous, change the Alnico 5 magnet for an Alnico 2. I had a JB with an A2 in a maple body, maple neck, floyd'd guitar and it rocked. *EDIT* FWIW, that guitar had a single 500K volume pot.

Do you have other guitars that give you the tone you are looking for through your current setup?
      Last edited by devastone; 06-07-2011, 10:27 PM.

Comment

What devastone said.

Most of my guitars sound great with a JB....except one.
        Last edited by TX-Joe; 06-07-2011, 07:57 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
          Hey Man, before you go buying new pickups try wiring in a 500k tone pot and .047 capacitor. Leave the pot turned all the way up and stuff it in the cavity. This will smooth out the brightness to what it is supposed to be and will nail the 80's metal tones perfectly.

I would do something like this before buying new pups, you have a good set in there now. A tone knob is a oft overlooked feature on guitars. They are very useful imo, i don't like not having them. That or you could simply get a lower value volume pot, check the one in there now with a multimeter and try one with a bit lower value reading. A 500k is rarely 500k more like 400k average, but check what's in there now.
          Last edited by Trem; 06-07-2011, 10:33 PM.

Comment

"clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
              Hey Man, before you go buying new pickups try wiring in a 500k tone pot and .047 capacitor. Leave the pot turned all the way up and stuff it in the cavity. This will smooth out the brightness to what it is supposed to be and will nail the 80's metal tones perfectly.
              It's easier to just change the volume pot to 250K, and the result is very similar.

Comment

Working...
              X