Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Which pickups for 80's hair metal in san dimas?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hey Man, before you go buying new pickups try wiring in a 500k tone pot and .047 capacitor. Leave the pot turned all the way up and stuff it in the cavity. This will smooth out the brightness to what it is supposed to be and will nail the 80's metal tones perfectly.
    Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

try a Duncan Jazz in the neck. nice pickup. standard on USA Rhoads models.

I cant imagine a better pickup for 80's hair metal than a JB. I know alot of people disagree with me. but I think they are greatly misunderstood pickups. they shine IMO. but tone is a very subjective thing.
      "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Was gonna fit a concentric pot but might be worth a shot.
        Cheers.

Comment

Jazz was my other thought as 59 seems to be to low on output

Comment

Originally posted by mrjones2004x View Post
            Jazz was my other thought as 59 seems to be to low on output
            The Jazz has a tiny bit less output than the '59. Hard to go wrong with either in the neck, but the Jazz is a little brighter.
            I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by dulrich1227 View Post
              BareKnuckle Pain killer in the bridge for some killer 80s tones OR a suhr Aldrich ... a tone pot/cap will clean up that neck pup and make it sound just killer just like sweet child o mine...
              Painkiller for 80s tones??... Yikes! Sure it will get you there, but seriously...

If you're going Bareknuckle, try a VHII/Mule/Holy Diver/Nailbomb then report back. More warmth? Get Warpig.
              I like EL34s.

Comment

Does the neck pickup really matter in an 80's hair guitar???
                I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Chrome EMGs, 85 neck 81 bridge. Or the new EMG James Hetfield signature set...??

Comment

Duncan Custom is good.. Had one in a LP and it SMOKED. I always liked the Duncan Distortions as well.. and you could get one of those dirt cheap on ebay. I'm thinking that Dimarzio may be better for the hair though??? My Tone Zone is great in my BC Rich Strat!

Comment

DIMARZIO X2N'S!

THEY'RE EVEN IN HAIR METAL COLORS LIKE PINK AND PURPLE! Plus their voerdrive is pure awesomeness for a passive.

Forget actives. That means woodwork to do. Besides most hair metal guitarists never touched actives and sounded just fine.

Comment

Can't believe nobody recommended the Jackson J90C.... that pickup defined hair metal tone!

Comment

J90-C is a bad ass pick up..........................really it is no kidding.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

screamon demon in the bridge
                            JB in the neck

Comment

Whats the deal with the Suhr Aldrich?

They fail to mention anywhere on the website as to what type of magnet is used.

Anyone have one or know?

May be a contender for that '80's hair metal sound.

Comment

In a mahogony body the suhr aldrich rips and is 100% 80s... had one in an ibby 520QS ... but was recommended against putting in anything else... so i sold it withe the guitar.. lol

Comment

Working...
                                X