Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

what kind oil do i use for my rosewood fretboard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by SKArface McDank View Post
    baby oil is pretty much mineral oil, and i picked up some mineral oil from rite aid and it worked wonderfully
    i also ordered some gibson fretboard conditioner
    Unscented mineral oil starts to smell bad after a few days. I've considered using baby oil, but thought it might change the color of the treated wood. You could also use linseed oil, lemon oil (scented linseed oil) or even Tru-oil. Tru-oil will actually seal the moisture content in the wood.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
      Baby oil is for skin not wood get real dude
      Baby oil is fine on ebony and rosewood. Hell, Jimmy D'Aquisto, the acoustic guitar maker, recommends 10W30 or 10W40 motor oil. Jackson's owner's manual also suggested vaseline.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

This is what I use on ebony and rosewood http://syntheticlubricants.aerospace...ngerboard-oil? a little on the pricey side, but a little of this stuff goes a long way. It's synthetic so it doesn't get rancid and it has no petroleum distillates.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
          Unscented mineral oil starts to smell bad after a few days.
          :think:

It's not a food product, it doesn't go rancid. I think you're thinking of vegetable oil or something.

Comment

Nose oil & ear wax.
            Models
            The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
            I dont need furniture.
            If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
            If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
            And rock that sucker.

Comment

Jizz could work.
              Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Thank goodness no one mentioned urine yet.
                Sam

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                  :think:

It's not a food product, it doesn't go rancid. I think you're thinking of vegetable oil or something.
                  It is a food product (included in many foods) or a drug depending on how much you ingest. The mineral oil I bought at a pharmacy was sold as a laxative--not a fret board conditioner. The bottle has a warning to keep the lid tight and it has an expiration date.

A couple weeks ago I Tru-oiled a neck and used mineral oil to keep dust and lint from sticking to the finish between coats. After the last coat I rubbed a lot of oil into the finish and a few days later I noticed an odor. About a week later the odor was still strong so I used wax and grease remover to remove the excess oil. Most of the smell was gone after that.

Comment

According to Fret Doctor, their product is the best if you actually want to condition the wood. I've been using a bottle of Selmer clarinet bore oil (I think it's just mineral oil) for years and it works fine, but apparently it mostly just sits on the surface and doesn't really condition the wood as is the case with most other "solutions" as well.

My bore oil bottle is getting close to empty, so I'm probably gonna order some Fret Doctor soon. Will be interesting to see how it works. I read about one guy who had a massive change in relief on the guitars he used it on because it penetrates the wood so much. But according to Fret Doctor, it just puts the wood back to its original state and after a truss rod tweak all is good. Apparently, it can cause Ebony cracks to go away too.

Comment

It is a food product (included in many foods) or a drug depending on how much you ingest. The mineral oil I bought at a pharmacy was sold as a laxative--not a fret board conditioner. The bottle has a warning to keep the lid tight and it has an expiration date.

A couple weeks ago I Tru-oiled a neck and used mineral oil to keep dust and lint from sticking to the finish between coats. After the last coat I rubbed a lot of oil into the finish and a few days later I noticed an odor. About a week later the odor was still strong so I used wax and grease remover to remove the excess oil. Most of the smell was gone after that.
                      Ah. Well it does have a smell to it, but I would not call it a strong smell and it doesn't "rot" or increase in smell in my experience. It's actually a petroleum product. I've had the same bottle for a couple of years and even left it open... I wonder if what you got has some other additive in it? :dunno:

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                        Jackson's owner's manual also suggested vaseline.
                        The ongoing joke in my family is that my grandfather claimed he could fix anything with vaseline and duct tape.

Comment

Originally posted by dmccarthy View Post
                          The ongoing joke in my family is that my grandfather claimed he could fix anything with vaseline and duct tape.
                          You need a big hammer, too.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                            You need a big hammer, too.
                            Yeah a big hammer is always necessary, or as we call it "the adjustment tool" or "persuader"

Comment

That was probably a chemical reaction between the not-yet-dry clearcoat and the oil.
                              I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Bore oil bought it off of the fret doctor site works awesome

Comment

Working...
                                X