No announcement yet.

Recessed vs non-recessed bridge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ones I assemble/order custom I always do recessed because I like them the best, but I do have a Charvel with a non-recessed bridge and I like it, too.

I started out playing on a Strat so the recessed Floyd is about the height I got used to.

Comment

All of mine are recessed, I like the feel. But I've been leaning towards a non-recessed or a TOM, as I like the feel, look and old school vibe of them too. A top mount Floyd also gives the option of adding a D-tuna, which is making me think of getting one just for versatility.
      "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Well, a recessed trem gives more options (if you want to use them, like the flutter effects etc), but in terms of playability it's very different. It's something many people get used to, but I'd advise you to go through guitar shops and play with as many guitars equipped with a recessed trem as you can, so you can see if you like it or if a non-recessed is enough for you.

Comment

You can get flutters with a non recessed Floyd, as long as it's floating...
          Popular is not the same as good
          Rare is not the same as valuable
          Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

I started out with a non-recessed trem in 1986 with my Kramer and then my Model 5 Charvel. My RR1 is recessed and I can adjust to it fine. I do like the extra depth between the strings and the face of the guitar that non-recessed gives. It gives me a little more room for 'expressive' picking styles when I'm feeling bluesy.
            GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
              I do like the extra depth between the strings and the face of the guitar that non-recessed gives. It gives me a little more room for 'expressive' picking styles when I'm feeling bluesy.
              ^^^ This. You can really dig into the strings. On some recessed trem setups, my pick just goes rat-a-tat-tat off the face of the body. The other thing is that with your hand being up higher, you tend to crash into the volume knob less.

Comment

I don't like my strings so high off the top of the body. I had a recessed Shaller installed in a M1 and that's all I played for years. I like the feel. To me it feels so much more modern comoared to Gibsons and the like.

Comment

Originally posted by Nagash02 View Post
                  Well, a recessed trem gives more options (if you want to use them, like the flutter effects etc), but in terms of playability it's very different. It's something many people get used to, but I'd advise you to go through guitar shops and play with as many guitars equipped with a recessed trem as you can, so you can see if you like it or if a non-recessed is enough for you.
                  I get flutter effects just fine, actually better with my non-recessed. And I don't feel a big difference or like it's very different, just different.

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                  ^^^ This. You can really dig into the strings. On some recessed trem setups, my pick just goes rat-a-tat-tat off the face of the body. The other thing is that with your hand being up higher, you tend to crash into the volume knob less.
                  I never gave this much thought. This perhaps is why I prefer non-recessed. Banging into the volume knob drives me nuts, and with the strings off the body more, you don't notice the knob as much. I'm modding a Kelly right now...recessed...ugh, but filled the volume hole and the neck hum route, and am using the pickup selector hole for volume, and no other knobs. I cut the Cathedral portion out of my extended solo years ago...
                  My Charvel/Jackson Family

Comment

I have both and think I prefer the recessed. Simply, you can do more with it.. e.g screaming pull ups. I dont get the problem of digging in and hittign face of guitar as I use a hard, sharp pick with only a little exposed at the end (no laughing).

Comment

Makes no difference to me. I have a great playing Model 6 and a great playing SL2H.

The only thing I'd say is that I'd take the non-recessed just because it's more unusual / less common. But both of them feel great to me.

Comment

I prefer recessed but wouldnt turn down a non recessed. I like em too.

Comment

Originally posted by BayRocker View Post
                          I never gave this much thought. This perhaps is why I prefer non-recessed. Banging into the volume knob drives me nuts, and with the strings off the body more, you don't notice the knob as much. I'm modding a Kelly right now...recessed...ugh, but filled the volume hole and the neck hum route, and am using the pickup selector hole for volume, and no other knobs. I cut the Cathedral portion out of my extended solo years ago...
                          made me laugh

this thread made me remember my old Model 2. Dragged it for a play last night. Most of my guitars are recessed, but I like a non-recessed trem just fine too. Lately I've been working on NOT anchoring my picking hand to the face of the guitar and this has made playing the Model 2 much easier now.
                          Hail yesterday

Comment

Non recessed sounds better but I have no preference
                            This space for rent

Comment

My first guitar with a real floyd i took the neck shim out and took a router to it and also shaved out the trem cavity for maximum up pull orgasm. I wouldn't really buy a guitar with a top mount floyd to me it's kinda gimped when i look at it. Seems like the natural evolution to recess it, never got why like Eddie never did. Might as well have a standard trem or none at all (to me) easier to deal with and get the same basic effect, a dive bomb.
                              But whatever someone likes have it.
                              I don't think i ever hit the pickup rings let alone the body of the guitar with my pick,
                              that would really be uh diggin in

Comment

Working...
                              X