Going tone-knobless

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by jgcable View Post
    There is little to no difference in output or tone whether or not you have a tone control or tone controls or not.
    If you experience a HUGE difference you either have junk pots or the wrong values.
    I'm guessing you can't hear treble anymore or something.

Huge difference, no, but also not "no difference." On a Soloist, taking the 250K tone pot out of the circuit is relatively equivalent to the difference between rolling the tone off 1/3 of the way and all the way up.
    Last edited by MakeAJazzNoiseHere; 01-19-2011, 04:25 PM.

Comment

I have a push/pull for a coil split, but it got even twangier split. Haha.

Like MAJNH said, not a TON of difference adding a tone pot, but I definitely heard it.

Comment

@thebigz: I'll PM you my addy so you can donate that crappy Dimebucker to me to replace my crappy stock pickup, ok?
        My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

Originally posted by thebigz View Post
          I have a push/pull for a coil split, but it got even twangier split. Haha.

Like MAJNH said, not a TON of difference adding a tone pot, but I definitely heard it.
          Yeah, it just warms up the highs (cuts them off) a small amount.

I never really thought much of it until I put a Custom in my Soloists and noticed it sounded a lot darker than it did in my Charvels. Partly due to neck-through, but after reading a tip on here, eliminating the tone knob got it a LOT closer.

Comment

Working...
          X