No announcement yet.

String tension question.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The necks relief or lack there of will change the feel of the strings. I like just a touch of relief myself.
    -------------------------
    Blank yo!

Comment

Try adjusting the trem springs to get a looser feel.
      That will cause a set up to be done of course
      Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by moku View Post
        hey helbat. i think i'll try the dr tite fit strings. why do you think they buzz more? b'cuz they vibrate more/are thinner/hence sounding brighter? just curious. thanks!
        I'm not sure where it comes from to be honest. It's only the wound strings of course so it's something to do with the windings. It's really apparent once the strings first go on and then after being strung for an hour or two it mellows out. It's not really anything like fret buzz and it's very faint. Hard to explain, it's one of those things you have to hear. Maybe it's the compressed windings and once they settle at tension it goes away? I don't know. They are really loud and bright acoustically so maybe they just transmit that sound of fret contact more the the D'Addarios.

I've never experienced any problems with the tite fits in about 15-20 sets. Their coated strings I can't say as much about the quality because I did get some dud strings where the coating fell away as they were being strung up, but the tite fits have been problem free for me. As far as price D'addarios are about 6 bucks a set and the DR's are around 8 bucks. So more expensive for sure but not enough for me to care about. I'm sure if I was living paycheck to paycheck it would be enough to make me think about the cheaper strings but I can live with an extra 2 bucks a month. (I tend to change my strings once a month or so whether they need it or not.)

I could understand inconsistencies because they are hand wound strings but I don't have dial calipers to confirm or deny.
        GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

FWIW, I find new strings buzz more than when they are worn it a bit, regardless of brand. I like my action low as shit anyway so I just put up with it

Comment

I use GHS Boomers exclusively but I use to use DR Tite-Fits. I've had QC issues with DR's but not with GHS. Especially now that they come in sealed packs.
            Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Maybe the action is too high? It's hard to imagine 9's as being stiff.

Comment

I guess some guitars necks make 'em feel stiff. I have DR Tite Fit 9s (maybe fav strings) on a 24 fret Vigier and they feel a little more stiff than on a 22 or 21 fret guitar.

On the Topic of DRs I have their new Neon strings on that Vigie. They feel lovely. Bit different to normal strings obviously, and different to their old coated ones.

I was turned onto DR by a Pro player who was doing a steady gig nightly in the most prestigious department store in the country here. He was raving about them. So I tried them, and I love 'em.

Funnily enough King's X had a similar experience. They were about to endorse a string company when one night, their guitars got strung with DRs they had been given as a promo. Strum a few chords, looks of disbelief and "what have you done to my guitar?!". Next day they canceleld the endorsement they were gonna have.

Anyway, on topic: I can only suggest raising action as Axeweilder said, or 8s!
                http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

I've done rather deep research on string tension and have posted it on some forums, but not the JCF. Stay tuned. I'll get it posted here in a few minutes.

Edit: Here it is:

http://www.jcfonline.com/threads/115...on-LONG-THREAD
                  Last edited by Chad; 01-23-2011, 07:11 PM.

Comment

BTW, which model is your Hamer and what guitar model are you comparing it to?

Comment

Working...
                    X