model 6 fretting or dressing

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
    If you are getting it refretted have it done in stainless steel and you'll likely never have to have it down again in your lifetime unless you have some kind of Hulk grip.
    +1 on stainless frets, I'm hard on them and I grind rings into my strings now instead of divots in my frets.

Comment

The model 6 came in yesterday. The wear on the frets isn't as bad as the picture made it look. It's got a couple of spots that are maybe 35% worn bit nothing to terribly bad inrestrung it and I noticed a crack going down the fret board on both side about 6 inches on one side and 2 inches on the other. Came with original Floyd rose, emg 81, SA, SA. The 3rd knob doesn't sound like it does anything. The wiring is so screwed up. But it plAys like a dream. Some dings and dents I will post some pics today

Comment

DSC06361.jpgDSC06370.jpgDSC06370.jpgDSC06357.jpg

Comment

Crack running down the side of the fingerboard sounds (and looks like, in the one picture) like maybe the fretboard is delaminating from the neck? Or maybe it's just the binding. I'd get that looked at.

Comment

The bind and neck are still intact and you can't even tell that the board is peeling with strings set up

Comment

Model 6s have binding, and I also have one with flat dead frets. How would a luthier/tech go about refretting that? New binding install?
              http://youtube.com/user/nickwellings

Comment

Originally posted by Dustinofcharvel View Post
                The bind and neck are still intact and you can't even tell that the board is peeling with strings set up
                If the binding is coming loose and/or fretboard is delaminating due to the truss rod pressure or whatever, leaving it will only make it a bigger repair later, if you intend to repair it. If it's a junker you don't care about, play away then I guess. :dunno:

Originally posted by wanthairspray View Post
                Model 6s have binding, and I also have one with flat dead frets. How would a luthier/tech go about refretting that? New binding install?
                No new binding... Unless it is messed up. They would clip off the fret tangs (the little part of the fret that sticks down in the neck) at the end of the frets, so that the tang is as wide as the wood part, but leave the fret itself wider than the binding. Then the fret is filed off flush with the binding.

Comment

Models
                  The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
                  I dont need furniture.
                  If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
                  If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
                  And rock that sucker.

Comment

can i reglue the fretboard at the first fret to keep it held downand top keep it from peeling anymore. Maybe as a temporary fix.

Comment

Working...
                    X