Jackson DK2M - Intonation and truss rod setup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A little update
    Shimming the nut is obviously not working and the higher strings sound more and more like a sitar. I gave the neck a slight relief, no change; Raised and lowered the bridge, no change. I'm currently trying to tighten the truss rod see if there are any noticeable changes however unlikely. If that doesn't work, I'll probably give up and put in the case and just use my strat.

Comment

There is also therefore a chance that the bridge saddles are causing the sitar effect. Can you make sure that the strings are centred in the square pocket, so they come overvthe saddle indentation in a completely straight line?

Comment

And tightening the truss rod will NOT fix this issue if you're continuing to get buzz on the lowest frets, it can only make it worse.

Comment

The strings are lying perfectly centered in the saddles, I don't think that ever was a problem.

And tightening the truss rod will NOT fix this issue if you're continuing to get buzz on the lowest frets, it can only make it worse.
          Well at the moment I am desperate enough to try anything. My reasoning is that when i bought the guitar the neck was dead straight and it played alright, it didn't need any adjustments.
          Last edited by Ophie; 11-26-2010, 09:26 AM.

Comment

I think it's time to start posting pictures of what is going on.

Comment

Originally posted by Tommie View Post
              There is also therefore a chance that the bridge saddles are causing the sitar effect. Can you make sure that the strings are centred in the square pocket, so they come overvthe saddle indentation in a completely straight line?
              It could also be a fine tuner. I used to get this weird buzzing/overtone and slight rattling sometimes on the high E or B string of one of my guitars. I traced it back to the fine tuner. A little adjustment of the fine tuner made it go away.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                I think it's time to start posting pictures of what is going on.
                I'd be happy to post pictures, but I have to wait until tomorrow because my phone doesn't have flash.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  It could also be a fine tuner. I used to get this weird buzzing/overtone and slight rattling sometimes on the high E or B string of one of my guitars. I traced it back to the fine tuner. A little adjustment of the fine tuner made it go away.
                  I have raised the fine tuners so that they don't touch the saddles. I traced the problem to the frets. The string will buzz on the fret right after the fretted one.

Comment

UPDATE: After fiddling some more with the truss rod and upping the string gauge at the cost of adding a forth spring, the fret buzz has disappeared. I continued and intonated it to correct pitch. Thanks for all the help and support, now I have a low action and highly playable Jackson.

Comment

glad you got it worked out. so you went up to 10s?

Comment

Originally posted by moku View Post
                        glad you got it worked out. so you went up to 10s?
                        I indeed did. The jumbo frets are making it harder to fret the strings than usual mediums, but I don't really care as long as it's playing good.

Comment

cool.

Comment

Working...
                          X