No announcement yet.

Copper tape under the floyd saddles?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yup, that is them. I cut them with a diagonal cutter to make the hole longer (to match the long groove in the saddle) so that the whole shim stays under the saddle and then just use a small amount of super glue to stack them and keep them stuck to the saddles. It's easy to break off if you need to but I've never needed to. :dunno:

Comment

Aha. Got it. Now, what radius are you shooting for at the bridge? It's 12 at the nut, 16 at the last fret, so flatter than 16 at the bridge?
      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

12 works fine with a compound radius.
        Some I've had were shimmed.
        A floyd is real simple to work on for me so I get tons of set up jobs from people that can't figure it out.
        Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

I have had nothing but OFR's and the occasional Schaller since the late 80's and pretty much ever guitar is outfitted with a Floyd so setups are a breeze.

The intonation key from Stew-Mac is a god send for its ease of use. Schallers take a few minutes longer but are no harder to set up than the OFR.

Its like anything else in life. Practice makes perfect!

After a proper setup and string stretching, the guitar can hang on the wall for literally months and still be PERFECTLY in tune! It's worth the time to learn how to setup them up right. It pays off in spades over time!

Just my two cents!

Comment

Originally posted by warlok View Post
            Aha. Got it. Now, what radius are you shooting for at the bridge? It's 12 at the nut, 16 at the last fret, so flatter than 16 at the bridge?
            Technically it should be flatter than a 16" but it will work fine (action close to 1 mm) at the standard unshimmed 14" - so if you don't prefer the feel of the bridge being very flat there is no reason to feel obligated to go for 18 or 20" radius at the bridge.

Comment

You can easily calculate what the radius of the bridge should be. I read on the intarwebs that Jackson Floyds have an 18" radius.
              Scott

Comment

You mean the JT6? :think:

I thought those were 16" radius.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                  You mean the JT6? :think:

I thought those were 16" radius.
                  The site I saw it at just said "Jackson's Floyds". Not sure if that means OFR on the US models, JT580LP, or what.
                  Scott

Comment

Nah, the OFR's Jackson uses are the same as everyone else's. Could be one of the OEM Jackson-branded units is a flatter radius, but my Charvels and Jacksons just have a regular old OFR with a standard set of saddles on it.

Comment

I've never need to shim one but never checked that radius either. Always just worked out good when I set them up. Now I'm curious what they are (Have a 590, FR Pro, and a '94 square plate 580LP) and if it would make a difference. Woohoo... More to play with!!
                      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Working...
                      X