No announcement yet.

Soloist String slippage?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I actually think this is more common on bolties, and I've wrestled with a few like this. Sometimes the issue is with the nut not being centered, which a luthier can fix. Also, I often replace the R4 nuts with R3's for a bit more fret margin. If your issue is higher up the neck, this may not buy you much.

Comment

Originally posted by Ultramagnus View Post
      Wow, harsh? Ya think? Maybe a little more like ignorant considering so many other people seem to be experiencing the same imaginary phenomenon, or maybe It's just that none of those guys seem to know how to play thier properly made soloists.
      Dude... Relax.

I said a properly-made Soloist. I explained that there are some where the strings are off-center. I explained that in some cases the centering error is so slight that the distance to the edge of the fret was still larger than what one would find on a standard guitar with a Floyd anyway.

The point was a joke, but also a comment. I'm saying, if you can't play ONE OF THOSE, with a very slight centering error, your technique would result in any guitar but a Soloist with perfectly-centered strings being "unplayable." Go try playing a Strat with a vintage-spaced bridge for example, then compare that to the Soloist.

Anyway, yeah, there are some that are off pretty damned far. It's a manufacturing error, not intentional. Don't buy those.

Comment

Is that phenomenon only with the Floyd vers. of the soloist? I have a T version on order and now im worried. Yikes!
        Jackson USA Select SL1T Soloist
        Charvel USA San Dimas Style 1 HSS
        Charvel USA San Dimas Style 2 2h
        Gretsch G6128T-TVP
        Gibson LP Traditional
        Gibson J-185 EC
        Hagstrom XL5
        Hagstrom Select Ultra Swede
        Walden T550 EC

Comment

ive gone to the sweetwater website and looked at the close up of there soloists they have in stock and I dont see that the E strings are any closer to the edge than my USA charvels or my Pro Line Gretch.
          Jackson USA Select SL1T Soloist
          Charvel USA San Dimas Style 1 HSS
          Charvel USA San Dimas Style 2 2h
          Gretsch G6128T-TVP
          Gibson LP Traditional
          Gibson J-185 EC
          Hagstrom XL5
          Hagstrom Select Ultra Swede
          Walden T550 EC

Comment

Yep, sometimes you will find the dealer has a good pic where you can see the strings are centered, and sometimes you will find that they either intentionally or unintentionally don't show a picture from dead on (a few of the Ebay dealers selectively don't show that view).

I have seen it on stuff with a TOM bridge, too. Gibsons, ESP's. It's just the guy drilling holes for the bridge (or the machine) doesn't get it exactly right.

Stuff like this is why I'm very leery of buying any Charvel/Jackson that is neck-through (or any neck-through or set neck guitar for that matter) without seeing it in person first, or the dealer having a reasonable return policy. Buy it before you try it, with no returns? Get outta here.

On a bolt-on, it's a very simple adjustment of the neck, even a nice and snug neck pocket should allow enough adjustment to center the strings up.

Comment

It's a common problem and you would think they would get it fuckin right after all this time. I've seen Tons of them with this problem and so have many people I have talked to. It's just ridiculous to ruin such nice guitars with a simple to fix problem like this. Jackson, drill the the damn holes for the trem posts in the right place....along with the trem route. It isn't that friggin hard.
              sigpic

Comment

I bought one of the Floyds from Guitar Fetish website. The Steel construction ones that look like those floyds that said Peavey on it. It was originally for a 90s PRO soloist I have because the intonation holes were stripped.

But when I got the floyd I noticed there was a small inconsitancy with the floyd. I seen other peoples same floyd from guitarfetish and theirs had the same thing, the saddles were tilted more towards the bass side so maybe not an inconsitancy but theyre actually built that way. The saddles intonation holes were drilled a little to the bass side. So What I got was a floyd that counterbalanced the misplaced studs on my soloist.

The studs were a little too far to the treble side and the floyd saddles were leaning towards bass side. when I installed the floyd it was perfectly balanced in the middle. Ill take some pictures later when I can.

Note: that if you get this floyd youll have to either route out some wood or shave the floyd. I have no experience with woodworking, so Ill much rather fuck up a floyd rather than my soloist itself lol

The floyd feels great too, feels just as heavy as the Schaller Floydrose II and has a thicker bassplate than the original, and sounds better too. All the parts on this floyd are interchangable with the original floyd too minus the baseplate.
                Last edited by Acesofbelkan; 10-22-2010, 12:50 PM.

Comment

Working...
                X