Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What's the reason that neck p.u. is usually associated as a lead p.u.?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

:think:just a thought here. As to the question of the Rhythm/Lead which is which, we're all using the denotations that we are used to seeing on a Gibson Les Paul, only it's Rhythm/Treble. Did the original LP's, the one that Les Paul actually used, were they 2 humbucker setups or one? I was thinking, if they were 2, maybe the style of music that he played warranted him using the neck pickup, with it's warmer sound, for rhythm playing and the bridge pickup to get that trebley sound to cut through the other instruments. Being limited with how much he could shape the tonality of the guitar sound with amplification back then, maybe it was just the only way to cut through the upright basses, horns, and other instruments common to the music of his era.

just a stab in the dark.
    For the aid of the sarcastically challenged, smartass comments will now be denoted in orange. Thank you for your support.

Comment

This may sound strange to some but it's just a question of terminology, right? What makes a pickup a lead or a rhythm pickup? I never looked at it the way of the gibson selector switch. To me, rhythm (in a song) is the main backing riff or chords. Which is mostly played on the bridge pup, by the rhythm guitarist. Lead is the solos, played mostly on the neck pup for the smoother tone and flowing notes, by the lead guitarist. And of course fills in with intros and such. I'll never be more that a rhythm guitarist (if even that) and playing a background during verses and solos, I don't switch to the neck pup, so the bridge is the rhythm pickup to me. That's how I see it but obviously it's all personal like was said up there ^^..

Edit: I was still typing while dustin posted. I was speaking of metal. His description is right on with how I'd think of jazz/blues..
      Last edited by warlok; 09-29-2010, 07:42 PM.
      Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Yeah, Les didn't exactly play metal.

Comment

Why even worry about all that stuff.........................really.
          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Originally posted by straycat View Post
            Why even worry about all that stuff.........................really.
            It keeps you from practicing and realizing how bad you suck at playing the guitar, duh. :ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by Grandturk View Post
              There are no rules. Go with what works and what you like.
              With you there

neck and bridge PU differ enough in character to use either (or both) for what you're trying to achieve
              Hell, switching pups in a solo is a very common practice
              "There's nothing taking away from the pure masculinity I possess"

-"You like Anime"

"....crap!"

Comment

I think it largely depends on the style of music & the mix. Essentially the lead is supposed to stand out. If your playing Jazz or Blues the neck pickup will give you a warmer rounder tone & likely you will stand out in the mix. In a metal situation, especially these days with guitarists running with almost no mids & or tuned down a step or 3, likely the neck pickup would leave you nothing more than mud, so the bridge pickup would be a better option as it will give you a sharper attack/tone, allowing you to cut through the band &/or mix. But in the end it comes down to what you like.
                KV DM PRO, SLSXMG, RRXMG, DXMG, LP P90 Goldtop_GSP1101_RM4: JF SL-OD100_Randall RT2/50_Peavey 4x12 cab
                I'm loving the Jaded Faith mods. Going Egnater Dual mod route: Voxless, SL-OD100, Brahma #39, QuickMod GT

Comment

Working...
                X