Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

DiMarzio Tone Zone or Norton in mahogany?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yeah, typical Dimarzio voicing but a bit broader
    Charvel 7308 (TMZ 008), Charvel Pro-mod (yellow), Jackson Soloist Custom (Yellow), Jackson SL2H-V Natural, Gibson LPS DB, Gibson LPS EB, Gibson LPCC C, Charvel Model 2 (scalloped), Jackson DK2M (white), Charvel Journeyman, Fender Classic Player 60's strat, Carvin C66, Musikraft strat mutt, Warmoth Strat mutt, Fender MIM Jazz bass, Epiphone Classical, Takamine parlor. Marshall 2203, Marshall JVM 210H, Splawn Nitro, Fender Supersonic 22, Line 6 AX2 212, Marshall 4X12.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      I forgot I acutally do have a zebra X2N lying around and a Super 2. Always liked those as a cool bridge/neck combo. Never tried a Duncan Distortion, though.
      The TZ will be very muddy.

X2Ns are tight as hell in Mahogany, as are Super Distortions. the TB-6 has the same sorta thing going on.

If you want to submit to maximum pickup lust... www.bareknucklepickups.co.uk (no joke, the Painkiller is the tightest pup ever. With a Cold Sweat in the neck, your mind will be blown.)

They are calling you...
      Last edited by Grim; 09-29-2010, 09:02 PM.
      I like EL34s.

Comment

I put a Painkiller in my SL2h-MAH yesterday. It is insane.
        I like EL34s.

Comment

Is this a short scale?

I have a 59 in the bridge of my Godin Summit CT (mahogany + maple top). Sound awesome!!!
          JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
          Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

TJ I put a DiMarzio PAF pro in the bridge and a PAF Joe in the neck of my all mahogany PRS/SE and it is a perfect combination.
            Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Cool. Thanks, guys. Yes, it's a short 24.75" scale. I've got a pair of '59s in my Mark Morton model, just wanting something a little hotter in this guitar. Not sure I really want to venture into Bareknuckles or any other boutique pup just yet.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

A question for Dimarzio guys, is the Paf similar to a Duncan 59?

@Toejam... I'm really diggin' the '59 in my Godin (short scale all mahogany, maple top and ebony fingerboard)... ToneZone in my Ibanez and other floyded Superstrats...
                JB aka BenoA

Clips and other tunes by BenoA / My Soundcloud page / My YouTube page
                Guitar And Sound (GAS) forum / Boss Katana Amps FB group

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                  Cool. Thanks, guys. Yes, it's a short 24.75" scale. I've got a pair of '59s in my Mark Morton model, just wanting something a little hotter in this guitar. Not sure I really want to venture into Bareknuckles or any other boutique pup just yet.
                  That's what they all say...
                  I like EL34s.

Comment

I personally love the tone zone in any guitar. But then Im of the mindset that the wood of the guitar has relatively little to do with the tone when you compare it to the effects of the construction methods, type of hardware and electronics. Plus another thing Ive found is tone is so subjective that you will get too many variables to get a straight answer. What is muddy to one guy is bright to another. I say drop the bitch in the guitar, the worst thing that can happen is you have to swap it out again. That aint such a bad thing if you like to tinker. Hell Im always looking for a reason to plug in my soldering iron.

Comment

Joe...give the Norton a shot. While I never tried it personally in a mahogany guitar, the Dimarzio site says the Norton is "really good for opening up the sound of mahogany set-neck guitars." It's sort of between a TZ and a PAF, so you might be pleasantly surprised with it.

Comment

I think I should give the Norton a shot. I don't mind tinkering and doing setups on my guitars, but I've never done my own wiring. I do have a soldering iron in the basement...
                        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

The most important thing to remember when soldering: Don't touch the hot part.

Comment

I found the norton a little too high output for a basswood guitar and definitely too high for an alder guitar. Might work well in the mohogany though. The Tonezone will probably work great in Mohogany. I found it shrill in alder but killer in basswood. Its popular in IBBys for a reason I guess.

Comment

Working...
                            X