No announcement yet.

Floyd Rose Comparison

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

am i the only guy who actually like the jt580 lp?

Comment

I like the 580LP's

You don't have to spend 200 or 175 etc. on a new OFR. Just get a new base plate.
      Chris

Is there any other brand of guitar...?

My fleet of guitars
      http://www.angelfire.com/va2/ckjones

Comment

Originally posted by CKJ View Post
        I like the 580LP's

You don't have to spend 200 or 175 etc. on a new OFR. Just get a new base plate.
        But now you are at risk of the inferior saddles wearing out before the knife edges on the base plate

Comment

Inferior saddles will last a lot longer than knife edges as long as you don't torque the shit out of them. I've never had a saddle fail me in my 15 years of playing with OFR's, JT500, JT580s, JT580LP, 600S & other FR licensed. Knife edges.. well I abuse a FR tremolo when it comes to playing. I make sure the springs never get stuck together

Among my many other skills I am rather highly mechanic inclined and I understand that a certain torque means a certain torque. You don't torque down a head on a SBC block just grabbing an 1" impact gun w/ 180 psi and hold it on it. Short & middle bolts are 65 ft lbs, and long bolts are 75 ft lbs clamped down from the inside working out.

I have a method for tightening the saddle lock screws in a OFR. Its finger tight and then 1/8" turn torque, never fails me! Kinda like adjusting rockers on a OHV SBC.
          Last edited by CKJ; 08-12-2010, 09:48 PM.
          Chris

My fleet of guitars

Comment

Impact gun + head bolts = broken head bolts + destroyed head gaskets + possible destroyed heads (except when removing)

Problem with chevs is that they have too many head bolts, I once saw some one undo all the head bolts from the middle of a SBC head, but forget to remove the ones at the edge (below the exhaust ports), they then wondered why the head wouldnt come off, grabbed a crow bar and snapped the edge off the head - hilarious

Small block fords are better, less head bolts

Anyway in regards to the OFR swap, hope it meets your needs, cheers!

Comment

I like JT580LP's, OFR MIGs, Schallers, and probably MIK OFRs and I'm happy you took the time to compare these. My only point is that I haven't heard anyone say that they had a bad mechanical experience with one. If anyone has, seriously, I'd like to hear it. I've kept these in mind as another alternative if I need a bridge.

Now where's my Rockwell hardness tester??
              Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Originally posted by ralph View Post
                Impact gun + head bolts = broken head bolts + destroyed head gaskets + possible destroyed heads (except when removing)

Problem with chevs is that they have too many head bolts, I once saw some one undo all the head bolts from the middle of a SBC head, but forget to remove the ones at the edge (below the exhaust ports), they then wondered why the head wouldnt come off, grabbed a crow bar and snapped the edge off the head - hilarious

Small block fords are better, less head bolts

Anyway in regards to the OFR swap, hope it meets your needs, cheers!
                More head bolts = a better clamping force = a much greater seal.

Kinda like a 2 bolt vs. a 4 bolt vs. a 6 bolt mains.

Those end bolts can be easily forgotten being that they sit down in a hole and are usually covered up half if not more than half w/ oil.
                Chris

My fleet of guitars

Comment

More head bolts = a better clamping force = a much greater seal.

Kinda like a 2 bolt vs. a 4 bolt vs. a 6 bolt mains.

Those end bolts can be easily forgotten being that they sit down in a hole and are usually covered up half if not more than half w/ oil.
                  +1 More bolts are always better, and you use a torque wrench to tighten them, not an impact wrench.

I'm with everyone else. The MIK floyd on my $495 (with case) RR24M is perfectly fine. Excellent guitar, made me finally start liking EMG's.

Comment

Originally posted by Krymson86 View Post
                    Well, tensile strength still plays into it. Whether it's formed and filed into a knife edge or not. the "hardness" of the metal is what tensile strength is a measurement of. Mock it if you want.
                    First, that is NOT what tensile strength is a measurement of. Look it up.

Second, as to the rest of your post, that's a great theory you have come up with.

However, you can make some assumptions based on why a particular fact is true and then theorize about how that might affect this or that and that doesn't mean you have proven anything, and thus, you are just pulling stuff out of your ass, as I said before.

Metallurgy is a science, and you don't prove things in science by theorizing. It has to be tested.
                    Last edited by MakeAJazzNoiseHere; 08-13-2010, 11:13 AM.

Comment

The whole impact gun thing was just one of those extreme measure of "i have to torque the living shit out of it, because its always better!" I'm surprised nobody caught on to the torquing capability of an 1" impact. You wanna talk about some brute f'n force there!
                      Chris

My fleet of guitars

Comment

Off topic:

SBC has more head bolts (17 I think), SBF are larger though, at least on the 351W they are 1/2", on the 302 they are 7/16" like on SBC. More is better, if you get into insane high power based SBF heads and blocks they have another row of bolts to make 15 total. Easier to pop head gaskets when making big power with only 10 of them.

Comment

SBF & big power... ha!

Sorry..
                          Chris

My fleet of guitars

Comment

Last edited by ralph; 02-21-2016, 07:53 PM.

Comment

The whole impact gun thing was just one of those extreme measure of "i have to torque the living shit out of it, because its always better!" I'm surprised nobody caught on to the torquing capability of an 1" impact. You wanna talk about some brute f'n force there!
                              1" impact is for small jobs, on a truss bridge we use a spline-drive, called a "yo-yo" and I've heard it called a 'transmission.' 1 1/8" x 7 1/4" bolts went to 90,000 ft/lbs, anything less than 4 1/2" gets 65k. Ever seen a 1" bolt head snap off? Duck! They get really hot too.
                              "illegal downloading saved people from having to buy that piece of shit you tried to pass off as music" - Nighbat

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                                First, that is NOT what tensile strength is a measurement of. Look it up.
                                Good call, hardness has nothing to do with tensile strength, i.e. a piece of rope can have higher tensile strength than concrete

Comment

Working...
                                X