Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A contender for my Duncan Custom love?!?!?!?!?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
    Uh-oh...could Mr Sully be starting a new trend here??? You've gotten us all hooked on the Custom, now you're gonna get us all to try the Alt8 aren't you??? You secretly work for Mr Duncan don't you???
    or it could be a plot to redirect everyone's attention to something other than the Custom. And then when we all start off loading our Customs in the Classifieds, sully will be there.....
    Hail yesterday

Comment

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
      or it could be a plot to redirect everyone's attention to something other than the Custom. And then when we all start off loading our Customs in the Classifieds, sully will be there.....
      Sully seems like such a nice guy in his videos, but that's just a diversion from his truly evil intentions...

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
        but then, there is the Tone Zone, which is on paper "the same" as a JB, 18K and Alnico 5 magnet, but it somehow doesn't suck. :dunno:
        I never understood why some people compare them as similar either. The JB is more high mids and treble, while the TZ is more low mids and bass.
        I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I think you'll find that the Custom 5 has a subcutaneous woody glow with elastic midranges and champagne highs.

I'm not sure the 5 suits the brutal metal rhythm too well, but damn if I'm not loving the harmonics and lead tone.
          The Custom 5 rocks in mahogany, but I found it kind of lame and a little too scooped in the mids in alder. Its EQ is the same as the '59, just more output, but I think the '59 usually sounds better.
          I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            The Custom 5 rocks in mahogany, but I found it kind of lame and a little too scooped in the mids in alder. Its EQ is the same as the '59, just more output, but I think the '59 usually sounds better.
            I had a Custom 5 in an ash bodied strat, and it wasn't bad, just not what I wanted.

Originally posted by Nightbat View Post
            on the SD forum they rave about the duncan custom 8 (indeed, custom with alinco 8 in it)
            Y'know, I thought that the A8 was based on the Custom, but I kinda forgot about that, as the pickup has been sitting for months. Makes sense why I like it as much...

Uh-oh...could Mr Sully be starting a new trend here??? You've gotten us all hooked on the Custom, now you're gonna get us all to try the Alt8 aren't you??? You secretly work for Mr Duncan don't you???

Since Sully's is in a mahogany axe right now...who out there (Plon perhaps) has an Alt8 in something else like Alder or Ash? What do you think of it compared to the Custom?
            It's most likely going to wind up in an Alder bodied guitar as soon as I can get a replacement in zebra....

Originally posted by javert View Post
            Not only that, his pickups have also been hand-wound by Mr. Duncan himself!
            Two words: I fucking WISH! I did get to meet him once at NAMM, though. I told him that the Custom is the greatest pickup known to man.

Ah... That is an interesting point. The Custom definitely let me down in my Mahogany hardtail, it didn't cut through at all, just got lost in the mix, which was never a problem before.

I used a JB in that guitar for the meantime and I think I like it but something a little tighter would be good (but with similar EQ, which the Alt8 seems to have.)

Sully you might have just cost me $70 but helped me figure out what to try in my hardtail.
            Happy to help! I seem to recall trying a Custom in a LP a few years back and not being overwhelmed by awesomeness....

Originally posted by VitaminG View Post
            ...like a lion in the tall grass, waiting for the wounded antelope!

Sully seems like such a nice guy in his videos, but that's just a diversion from his truly evil intentions...
            Heh....like the Dexter garage!

Sully
            Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
            Sully Guitars on Facebook
            Sully Guitars on Google+
            Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
              Two words: I fucking WISH! I did get to meet him once at NAMM, though. I told him that the Custom is the greatest pickup known to man.
              Sully
              be careful what you wish for...I don't want to get my source into any trouble but...apparently Seymour's been known to...ummm...forget the wax sometimes...oops!
              Last edited by 6string40; 07-14-2010, 09:20 AM.

Comment

If this is the plan, keep it up sully!! I still haven't gotten a custom yet so I'll be waiting with you. I like to stay about 2 years behind the rest of you...
                Every man dies... Not every man really lives!!

Comment

Dude, get some magnets from addictionfx on Ebay and get into swapping and making hybrid pickups. I did a JB/59 hybrid set a while back (one coil from a 59, one from a JB) and it rocks.

Also took one coil of a Custom Custom and paired it with a 59B coil. Sounds better than the C5 IMO.

I've also been getting into magnet swapping recently - took a ceramic from an EMG HZ3 and put it into a Custom Custom (A2) and turned it into a Custom

Also put a ceramic in a 59N (A5) and it sounds nice.

FOr less than $10 you get a whole new pickup.
                  I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Working...
                  X