Dealer setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
    Not anymore! Mouthy newb! How dare you tell us veterans what to do!
    Thanks for the spelling lesson.
    Last edited by unknown; 07-27-2010, 03:29 PM.

Comment

Don't fuck with RacerX, or he'll fuck you.

Words of advice.

Especially about grammer.

I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
        Don't fuck with RacerX, or he'll fuck you.

Words of advice.

Especially about grammer.

Haha. That wouldn't be nice.
        Last edited by unknown; 07-27-2010, 03:30 PM.

Comment

Back to setups. I know it's a tangent to your op but since the thread has drifted in this direction I'd like to make a few comments. I don't think it takes much skill to adjust pup and trem height, adjust the saddles, set the intonation, shim the nut if necessary, put new strings on and tune them, polish the frets with steel wool and make sure the trem is level or tilted back a little. On a guitar with an OFR or LFR you should wrap the trem posts in teflon tape if it uses ferrules. This should increase the sustain of high pitched harmonics (I doubt your tech will bring this up--none I know ever did). Adjusting the truss rod is the only risky part of it, but if you do it slowly and carefully you won't have any problems.

The techs I respected for their knowledge when I was growing up started working on guitars in the 60's and 70's. After the internet made it possible to access the collective experience of posters at various sites like this one and others dedicated to different manufacturers it became obvious to me that the people I had so much respect for were only repeating rumors. The information they shared with me was wrong about half the time. You have the opportunity to learn as much or more than techs from decades past could ever hope to know.

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
            Back to setups. I know it's a tangent to your op but since the thread has drifted in this direction I'd like to make a few comments. I don't think it takes much skill to adjust pup and trem height, adjust the saddles, set the intonation, shim the nut if necessary, put new strings on and tune them, polish the frets with steel wool and make sure the trem is level or tilted back a little. On a guitar with an OFR or LFR you should wrap the trem posts in teflon tape if it uses ferrules. This should increase the sustain of high pitched harmonics (I doubt your tech will bring this up--none I know ever did). Adjusting the truss rod is the only risky part of it, but if you do it slowly and carefully you won't have any problems.

The techs I respected for their knowledge when I was growing up started working on guitars in the 60's and 70's. After the internet made it possible to access the collective experience of posters at various sites like this one and others dedicated to different manufacturers it became obvious to me that the people I had so much respect for were only repeating rumors. The information they shared with me was wrong about half the time. You have the opportunity to learn as much or more than techs from decades past could ever hope to know.
            Can you recommend a guitar setup DVD that includes the Floyd? That one that was posted from Amazon looks interesting. I may at some point get a DVD to learn some on setting up a guitar.
            Last edited by unknown; 07-20-2010, 12:11 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by unknown View Post
              Can you recommend a guitar setup DVD that includes the Floyd? That one that was posted from Amazon looks interesting. I may at some point get a DVD to learn some on setting up a guitar.
              I've never watched a DVD about this sort of thing. I used trial and error, sifted through posts on this site and recently watched a number of vids on Youtube. Feel free to post simple questions about string changes, OFR's, intonation, etc. on this site. People are really helpful here and will respond with useful information. If you're concerned about a procedure post a question in the Tech Q&A section before trying it on your guitar.

Comment

I've never watched a DVD about this sort of thing. I used trial and error, sifted through posts on this site and recently watched a number of vids on Youtube. Feel free to post simple questions about string changes, OFR's, intonation, etc. on this site. People are really helpful here and will respond with useful information. If you're concerned about a procedure post a question in the Tech Q&A section before trying it on your guitar.
                I appreciate it. I think I'm gonna check something like this out:

www.metalmethod.com/guitar-repair.htm

Comment

Maybe I'm getting an answer for a question I never asked. I assumed you knew how to read the first post of this thread. As you would know that the point of this thread is that I was looking for a dealer to order a guitar through who gave good setups. That was the only point for starting this thread.

So, how did I lose money getting a free setup from the Jackson dealer I bought my guitar from? I actually got a deal and saved money compared to other places I could have gotten it from. I lost no time, and had no aggravation at all getting my guitar ordered with a free setup. It was a breeze. So, your point is pointless.
                  Wow, you are such a tool.... How in the hell can a point be pointless?
                  "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
                    Wow, you are such a tool.... How in the hell can a point be pointless?
                    And you're a dumbass. Your point is senseless as you don't know what you are talking about. You pose an answer to a question I didn't ask. Then say I get answers I don't want to hear. Then you say I wasn't competent enough to save money, time, and aggravation and tell me good luck on my quest of learning how to properly set up my guitar. Which further shows you are a dumbass as you obviously can't or didn't read the first post of this thread to know what this thread is about. So, go back and read it, then figure out what is your point talking about doing your own setups.

You've got plenty of time and space to go start your own thread on how to do a setup. I started this thread just looking for a dealer who knew how to check a guitar out and gives good setups so I could order a guitar. You decided to go off topic about learning to do your own setups as I never asked about that and it had nothing to do with this thread.

Again, how did I lose money by getting a good deal on a guitar and getting a free setup? Sounds like you don't want to hear the answer to that question because it shows you are a dumbass as I got a killer deal. Haha.

Comment

And you're a dumbass. Your point is senseless as you don't know what you are talking about. You pose an answer to a question I didn't ask. Then say I get answers I don't want to hear. Then you say I wasn't competent enough to save money, time, and aggravation and tell me good luck on my quest of learning how to properly set up my guitar. Which further shows you are a dumbass as you obviously can't or didn't read the first post of this thread to know what this thread is about. So, go back and read it, then figure out what is your point talking about doing your own setups.

You've got plenty of time and space to go start your own thread on how to do a setup. I started this thread just looking for a dealer who knew how to check a guitar out and gives good setups so I could order a guitar. You decided to go off topic about learning to do your own setups as I never asked about that and it had nothing to do with this thread.

Again, how did I lose money by getting a good deal on a guitar and getting a free setup? Sounds like you don't want to hear the answer to that question because it shows you are a dumbass as I got a killer deal. Haha.
                      I don't need to start a thread about how to do a setup because I already know how to do them. You didn't lose money YET, I was referring to the future, the money that you could save by doing your own setups.

You shall get down on your knees and thank your lucky stars that I am not a moderator here because I would have already banned you and sentenced you to 5 years at the ESP forums.
                      "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

You're the one who decided to step in and call BS on my opinion like it was some big deal. What if the guy is only going by a DVD that doesn't say you can't adjust action via the trussrod? Which is why I think it is a good idea to get in person feedback on what you are doing and learning. Just like learning to drive a car.
                        When I said "resources" I meant "resources." Not one DVD that does a poor, incomplete job of explaining things.

Some people can gather information from multiple reputable sources and when using "possibly reputable" sources, they can use critical thinking and trial-and-error to determine who is full of shit, and who knows what they are talking about, as well as how to get the best results.

Other people need to be told what to do and how to do it.

So, I'm calling BS on your opinion because... IT IS.

Actually your point has been to call my opinion BS, which makes you look like a .

I don't know how to do a proper setup, but I have a general idea of what adjustments can be made. I think you are so dependant on the internet, book, DVD only training because you're afraid of getting feedback on your setups because an actual luthier may tell you that you don't know what you are doing.
                        :ROTF:

I'm not dependent on anything but finding the information I need from a knowledgeable source, and I would happily let anyone look at my setup work. :dunno:

Make sure when you get a custom shop Jackson made, to spec out that you want an internet only trained luthier to build your guitar.
                        What in the fuck does building a guitar have to do with doing a setup? :think:
                        Last edited by MakeAJazzNoiseHere; 07-20-2010, 09:46 AM.

Comment

I didn't read the entire thread, but I will say this.

If great guitar setups, and I mean truly great work, was easy to learn and commonplace, guys like Phil Jacoby and the people at PLEK wouldn't build entire careers on doing awesome setups.

I'm not saying everyone here sucks at it, I'm sure some are great, and if your home setup works for you, that's wonderful. But you play a guitar that's been PLEk'd and set up by a competent guy, who will take things into account such as your playing style, there's absolutely NO WAY you can tell me that you've done a better job yourself.

By the way, no setup lasts ten years. Unless you never touch your guitar. If you're telling me that you've played a guitar on a regular basis and haven't had it set up in years, frets polished and leveled, etc, you either have no idea what a well set up guitar plays like, or you're a dirty, dirty liar, because I guarantee you it plays like ass.

Comment

Originally posted by Argos View Post
                            I didn't read the entire thread, but I will say this.

If great guitar setups, and I mean truly great work, was easy to learn and commonplace, guys like Phil Jacoby and the people at PLEK wouldn't build entire careers on doing awesome setups.

I'm not saying everyone here sucks at it, I'm sure some are great, and if your home setup works for you, that's wonderful. But you play a guitar that's been PLEk'd and set up by a competent guy, who will take things into account such as your playing style, there's absolutely NO WAY you can tell me that you've done a better job yourself.
                            No one can compete with a computerized Plek machine. I've never heard of a fret level and crown coming with a setup. At least that's my understanding.

Comment

No one can compete with a computerized Plek machine. I've never heard of a fret level and crown coming with a setup. At least that's my understanding.
                              You're right about that, but all will polish the frets, etc. If you're not doing even that once every ten years, your guitar probably plays like turds.

I was talking more about an initial setup in my last post, since playing style, radius, string gauges, desired action, etc, all play a part in what your ideal fret job should look like. Most factory fret jobs are worthless in that they aren't adjusted to the individual who will be playing the guitar (and most of them just plain suck anyway, especially on imports). I know most people don't, or can't afford, to have their guitar most likely sent to someone when it's brand new for a great first setup, but man, they should.

Comment

Originally posted by Argos View Post
                                PLEK? There isn't one within 200 miles of me, I bet. So, I have no way of knowing if my fret work is "better" or "as good" or "worse." I know it's good, better than anything I've seen on any production guitar, because I take the time to get it just right.

I'm a competent guy, there is no communication barrier between myself the player and myself the "setup guy" and so yeah, I can say that I will do a better job.

Comment

Working...
                                X