No announcement yet.

Dealer setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok. Good luck on your quest of learning how to properly set up your guitar.

EDIT: The only thing about a setup that would in my eyes be correct, is making sure the intonation is the last thing checked. How you get to point B from point A is irrelevant.... As long as you have your guitar playing the way you want it (and it still works), how you actually got it there doesn't really matter. That is my opinion. Some people agree, some people don't. It is trial and error when you are learning and you will figure out the way that works best for you as you go. But if your neck has too much bow in it and your solution is to simply loosen the strings, you are not setting up the guitar. You are detuning it.
    Last edited by Musician78; 07-19-2010, 07:03 PM.
    "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by unknown View Post
      Since you say I'm wrong, then I say you don't know what you are talking about. There are different desired results from a setup from person to person i.e. action, string spacing, tuning, etc. But there is a correct and incorrect way to adjust things on a guitar. Though it is not that black and white. For example, if I tell a set up guy to raise the action, the correct way may not be to crank down on the truss rod. But to raise the nut and/or bridge instead.
      That is a poor example, because you could find countless printed resources and quality web sites which would tell you that you do not use the truss rod to change the action.

I personally would say doing a setup is not rocket science. You're making it out to be a lot harder than it is.

The point I'm making is there are different ways to set up a guitar. Some correct, others incorrect.
      The point I'm making is that you have said that you do not know how to set up a guitar, so clearly you don't know what you are talking about... And that makes you full of

Last edited by MakeAJazzNoiseHere; 07-19-2010, 07:10 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
        Ok. Good luck on your quest of learning how to properly set up your guitar.

EDIT: The only thing about a setup that would in my eyes be correct, is making sure the intonation is the last thing checked. How you get to point B from point A is irrelevant.... As long as you have your guitar playing the way you want it (and it still works), how you actually got it there doesn't really matter. That is my opinion. Some people agree, some people don't. It is trial and error when you are learning and you will figure out the way that works best for you as you go. But if your neck has too much bow in it and your solution is to simply loosen the strings, you are not setting up the guitar. You are detuning it.
        Haha. I never was on a quest to learn anything about how to do setups. I started this thread just looking for a Jackson dealer shop that I could order a guitar through who had a reputation for doing good setups.
        Last edited by unknown; 07-27-2010, 03:53 PM.

Comment

Well occaisionally you get the answer you don't want to hear when you post questions on the internet. Anyhow, sorry for assuming that you were competent enough to be able to save yourself money, time and aggravation.
          "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Well occaisionally you get the answer you don't want to hear when you post questions on the internet. Anyhow, sorry for assuming that you were competent enough to be able to save yourself money, time and aggravation.

One setup lasted 10 years, he can't be too picky. :dunno:

Comment

Hey now.... if we learned how to properly set up a guitar, our set-ups would last 10 years as well.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                That is a poor example, because you could find countless printed resources and quality web sites which would tell you that you do not use the truss rod to change the action.

I personally would say doing a setup is not rocket science. You're making it out to be a lot harder than it is.
                You're the one who decided to step in and call BS on my opinion like it was some big deal. What if the guy is only going by a DVD that doesn't say you can't adjust action via the trussrod? Which is why I think it is a good idea to get in person feedback on what you are doing and learning. Just like learning to drive a car.

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                The point I'm making is that you have said that you do not know how to set up a guitar, so clearly you don't know what you are talking about... And that makes you full of
                Actually your point has been to call my opinion BS, which makes you look like a .

I don't know how to do a proper setup, but I have a general idea of what adjustments can be made. I think you are so dependant on the internet, book, DVD only training because you're afraid of getting feedback on your setups because an actual luthier may tell you that you don't know what you are doing.

Make sure when you get a custom shop Jackson made, to spec out that you want an internet only trained luthier to build your guitar.

Comment

This one genuinely made me laugh... how can a luthier say that it was done wrong if it plays well for him? In the end that's all that matters. I don't care if other people can't play crap on my guitars as long as I can.

You keep going to this internet trained lurhier... but (I'm sure I am wrong again) there is a HUGE difference between building an entire guitar and doing a simple setup. And to be honest, if the luthier does good work, I wouldn't give two craps if he learned by trial and error, the internet, or went to school for it.

Comment

Maybe I'm getting an answer for a question I never asked. I assumed you knew how to read the first post of this thread. As you would know that the point of this thread is that I was looking for a dealer to order a guitar through who gave good setups. That was the only point for starting this thread.

So, how did I lose money getting a free setup from the Jackson dealer I bought my guitar from? I actually got a deal and saved money compared to other places I could have gotten it from. I lost no time, and had no aggravation at all getting my guitar ordered with a free setup. It was a breeze. So, your point is pointless.
                    Last edited by unknown; 07-27-2010, 04:03 PM.

Comment

So, how did I lose money getting a free setup from the Jackson dealer
                      Fixed. unknown, I hope you don't mind me stepping in here with a free spelling lesson for ya

lose = opposite of win. loose = opposite of tight

They are even pronounced differently, so I am a bit aghast when I see this error. I see it a lot lately.
                      "Quiet, numbskulls, I'm broadcasting!" -Moe Howard, "Micro-Phonies" (1945)

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                        Fixed. unknown, I hope you don't mind me stepping in here with a free spelling lesson for ya

lose = opposite of win. loose = opposite of tight

They are even pronounced differently, so I am a bit aghast when I see this error. I see it a lot lately.
                        Well, I fixed this grammar error for you:

unknown, I hope you don't mind me stepping in here with a free spelling lesson for ya.

I know what the difference is between lose and loose. It is a common spelling error.
                        Last edited by unknown; 07-27-2010, 04:01 PM.

Comment

Well, I fixed this grammer error for you:
                          The what error now? Bwahaha! You are funny!

I know what the difference is between lose and loose.
                          Now you do. What about earlier?

Comment

Originally posted by racerx View Post
                            the what error now? Bwahaha! You are funny!

now you do. What about earlier?
                            lol...

Comment

Originally posted by RacerX View Post
                              The what error now? Bwahaha! You are funny!

Now you do. What about earlier?
                              It is a common spelling error. And what is your point anyways?
                              Last edited by unknown; 07-27-2010, 03:26 PM.

Comment

Not anymore! Mouthy newb! How dare you tell us veterans what to do!

Comment

Working...
                                X