Dealer setups

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Grim View Post
    Steve's Music in Toronto is where I get mine initially setup (because it's free and i'm lazy) I do a much better job.

Gear Music is Oakville is better, ask for Keith.

Of course, this is if you're in the area...

EDIT: Steve's is free with the purchase of a guitar.
    It is nice to get a free setup when you get a guitar. Though, I wonder how much time they spend on it.
    Last edited by unknown; 07-26-2010, 12:02 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by unknown View Post
      I think it's best to have someone who knows what they are doing teach you how to set up a guitar.
      \

BS...

If that's how you learn, then that is how YOU learn, and that's cool, but I have never had anyone show me how to do anything. Books, pictures, web sites, and a little trial and error. :dunno:

Comment

Mine was all trial and error as well.
        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Ross at Drum City Guitar Land does killer setups, and they do one on every guitar before shipping.

But you are going to have to learn anyway, one setup doesn't last a lifetime.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
            \

BS...

If that's how you learn, then that is how YOU learn, and that's cool, but I have never had anyone show me how to do anything. Books, pictures, web sites, and a little trial and error. :dunno:
            This isn't solving math problems. You need someone to check out your setups to let you know if you are doing it correctly, or what to change. A book or pictures won't do that. How do you even know if your setups are correct since you get no feedback, you just guess it is right?

It's like learning how to drive by reading a book or looking at pictures. You need someone sitting in the passenger seat teaching you what to do, and giving you feedback on how you are doing.

Do you think you could build a guitar from scratch just by reading a book or looking at some pictures? I think not.

Comment

I have the video linked below and I found it quite good.

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Setup-M...9560847&sr=8-2
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
                I have the video linked below and I found it quite good.

http://www.amazon.com/Guitar-Setup-M...9560847&sr=8-2
                Thanks, I'll have to look into that DVD. I may get one at some point. I do believe in person training is the way to go, but if you don't have access to that. Then you have to look at other things like DVD's.

Comment

I agree with you on this.

Thee are lots of little tips and trick you won't learn from a book.

Have you looked around at community colleges? Man of them offer lutherie courses, I know a few here offer basic and advanced guitar setup courses.

Comment

Originally posted by Argos View Post
                    I agree with you on this.

Thee are lots of little tips and trick you won't learn from a book.

Have you looked around at community colleges? Man of them offer lutherie courses, I know a few here offer basic and advanced guitar setup courses.
                    Never looked, but I doubt they have guitar setup courses. Though, it doesn't matter as I'd never sign up for a course anyways, or invest hundreds of hours to learning guitar setup.

But, I never really planned on learning how to setup a guitar anyways. I just was looking for a shop to do a good initial setup. I've played guitar for 10 years and only had one setup. So, I'm sure 5+ years will go by before I look into guitar setup again.

Comment

This isn't solving math problems. You need someone to check out your setups to let you know if you are doing it correctly, or what to change. A book or pictures won't do that. How do you even know if your setups are correct since you get no feedback, you just guess it is right?
                      Right, well, I guess I can't set-up a guitar then, because the guy who can't even set-up a guitar let me know that I won't have much luck learning how to do it the way I learned how to do it. Thanks for setting me straight.

Comment

It's like learning how to drive by reading a book or looking at pictures. You need someone sitting in the passenger seat teaching you what to do, and giving you feedback on how you are doing.

Do you think you could build a guitar from scratch just by reading a book or looking at some pictures? I think not.
                        Sorry dude, but you are just plain wrong here. There is "no right" way to set it up... you set it up to how you feel comfortable.... what works for me might not work for you. Your comparison is apples and oranges. Driving a car incorrectly can get people killed. Setting up a guitar incorrectly will just be annoying to the player. And the player can tell what he/she likes/dislikes about a particular setup. The "tricks" involved IS basic problem solving.
                        "I would have banned you for taking part in hijacking and derailing a thread when you could have started your own thread about your own topic." - Unknown

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                          Right, well, I guess I can't set-up a guitar then, because the guy who can't even set-up a guitar let me know that I won't have much luck learning how to do it the way I learned how to do it. Thanks for setting me straight.
                          I never said you couldn't learn to do it yourself. I just said that "I think it's best to have someone who knows what they are doing teach you how to set up a guitar." And you called BS on that.
                          Last edited by unknown; 07-27-2010, 04:34 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
                            Sorry dude, but you are just plain wrong here. There is "no right" way to set it up... you set it up to how you feel comfortable.... what works for me might not work for you. Your comparison is apples and oranges. Driving a car incorrectly can get people killed. Setting up a guitar incorrectly will just be annoying to the player. And the player can tell what he/she likes/dislikes about a particular setup. The "tricks" involved IS basic problem solving.
                            Since you say I'm wrong, then I say you don't know what you are talking about. There are different desired results from a setup from person to person i.e. action, string spacing, tuning, etc. But there is a correct and incorrect way to adjust things on a guitar. Though it is not that black and white. For example, if I tell a set up guy to raise the action, the correct way may not be to crank down on the truss rod. But to raise the nut and/or bridge instead.

What I'm saying is I think it is best to get in person training on how to set up a guitar from someone who knows what they are doing vs. only learning from the internet or DVD. I'm not saying you can't learn from a DVD. And if the internet or DVD is the only way to learn, then go for it. I'm sure I'll end up getting a setup on DVD at some point as I have no access to in person training, nor do I care to spend the amount of time on that anyways since I've been doing just fine on one setup in 10 years.

Like with the driving, sure you could learn from the internet how to drive and still be able to get to point A and B without wrecking. But I still think it is best for in person training on how to drive a car.

Here's you an apple to apple comparison:

Would you pick the guy that builds your custom shop Jackson guitar to have in person luthier training, or someone who says they learned from the internet?

Comment

Since you say I'm wrong, then I say you don't know what you are talking about. There are different desired results from a setup from person to person i.e. action, string spacing, tuning, etc. But there is a correct and incorrect way to adjust things on a guitar. Though it is not that black and white. For example, if I tell a set up guy to raise the action, the correct way may not be to crank down on the truss rod. But to raise the nut and/or bridge instead.

What I'm saying is I think it is best to get in person training on how to set up a guitar from someone who knows what they are doing vs. only learning from the internet or DVD. I'm not saying you can't learn from a DVD. And if the internet or DVD is the only way to learn, then go for it. I'm sure I'll end up getting a setup on DVD at some point as I have no access to in person training, nor do I care to spend the amount of time on that anyways since I've been doing just fine on one setup in 10 years.

Like with the driving, sure you could learn from the internet how to drive and still be able to get to point A and B without wrecking. But I still think it is best for in person training on how to drive a car.

Here's you an apple to apple comparison:

Would you pick the guy that builds your custom shop Jackson guitar to have in person luthier training, or someone who says they learned from the internet?
                              *sigh* When I said there is no right way or a wrong way, I meant that there is no "proper setup". It is user preference. As far as not knowing what I am talking about, I own 12 guitars and 2 basses. Each one has been set up by me. I have also made money setting up other people's guitars. Obviously I know what I am talking about. So again. Wrong.
                              Last edited by Musician78; 07-19-2010, 06:28 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Musician78 View Post
                                *sigh* When I said there is no right way or a wrong way, I meant that there is no "proper setup". It is user preference. As far as not knowing what I am talking about, I own 12 guitars and 2 bases. Each one has been set up by me. I have also made money setting up other people's guitars. Obviously I know what I am talking about. So again. Wrong.
                                There are lots of shops who make money doing setups. And I've heard tons of comments here and there about so and so shop doesn't know how to set up a guitar. Yet, they are still making money doing setups.
                                Last edited by unknown; 07-27-2010, 04:28 PM.

Comment

Working...
                                X