TB-4 vs. SH-11

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Yes, it would.

To me the TB-4 is both bright and has a low-midrange fatness to it, using it with just a 500K volume pot. I'm gonna say 180 Hz vs more like 100 Hz on the Custom, which, the Custom is not as hot, but I dunno, the TB-5 Custom is just the shit, to me, except in a very warm guitar I'm liking the TB-4 also. :dunno:

I have a Custom in my SL1, tone pot disconnect, it sounds heavy as hell compared to either of my SL2H with the TB-4 (also with the tone pot disconnected) although, it's not like the JB sounds wimpy or anything, I think the Custom is a tiny bit more "scooped" sounding.
    Last edited by MakeAJazzNoiseHere; 06-18-2010, 01:34 PM.

Comment

The WR1's body wood is alder, and is supposed to be bright. So whether the TB-5 will suit it, I dunno. I was previously recommended the SH-11, and the TB-4 seems to be the most popular. At this stage, I'm thinking stick a TB-5 in the Nebula, TB-4 in the Trans Black, or swap the TBK for someone's SL2H, which comes stock with a TB-4 anyway.
      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
        i swapped it out for a tb-5 (custom) and am much happier.
        John, I can't tell ya how proud that makes me.
        I'll go to my grave saying that nothing beats the Duncan Custom. Noth-ING.

Sully
        Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
        Sully Guitars on Facebook
        Sully Guitars on Google+
        Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post
          John, I can't tell ya how proud that makes me. I'll go to my grave saying that nothing beats the Duncan Custom. Noth-ING.
          I stopped trying Duncans because I didn't like any of them except the '59 in the neck...went all Dimarzio for years...then tried a Custom. I'm now using Customs in the bridge and '59s in the neck. Awesome combo.

Sully - (or anyone else for that matter) have you used a Custom in both the bridge and neck? If so, what are your thoughts of it as a neck pickup?

Comment

Y'know it truly is sad that Wilksy can't post or read the SDUGF posts, because just one week ago we had a discussion over there about how fucking annoying it is when people speak of the pickups by their model number (SH-this, TB-that) which no one memorizes, rather than their model names (JB, Custom, Invader, etc).

As for the JB - everyone recommends the JB if you have a Jackson because they're sucking Dave Mustaine's dick. The Invader kicks ass in a Warrior, the JB does not. MoP Tone achieved with the Invader, not with the JB.

And yes, the Custom goes great with anything.

If you're leaning more towards full-step detuning and vintage Sabbath, try a Custom 5 or CustomCustom.
            I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Sully
              Sully
              you converted me a while back. I now have 3 guitars with customs. I should have more!

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                Sully
                you converted me a while back. I now have 3 guitars with customs. I should have more!
                Cool! How bout adding an RC Raven to the collection?

Sully
                Sully Guitars on Google+
                Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
                  I stopped trying Duncans because I didn't like any of them except the '59 in the neck...went all Dimarzio for years...then tried a Custom. I'm now using Customs in the bridge and '59s in the neck. Awesome combo.

Sully - (or anyone else for that matter) have you used a Custom in both the bridge and neck? If so, what are your thoughts of it as a neck pickup?
                  Haven't tried one in the neck; I'm super happy with the Jazz or 59 in there, although the P-Rails is pretty sweet as well.

Sully
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Originally posted by wilkinsi View Post
                    The WR1's body wood is alder, and is supposed to be bright. So whether the TB-5 will suit it, I dunno. I was previously recommended the SH-11, and the TB-4 seems to be the most popular. At this stage, I'm thinking stick a TB-5 in the Nebula, TB-4 in the Trans Black, or swap the TBK for someone's SL2H, which comes stock with a TB-4 anyway.
                    Well, the JB is brighter than the Custom... And the Soloist is also Alder.

I never had a Custom until I bought a Charvel that had one in it. Great sounding guitar. I ended up swapping that pickup for a different color and put the old one in a Pro Mod in place of a JB... And that was the last time I ever used an EMG. I've only found one guitar the Custom didn't sound great in, and it still sounded damn good, it was just not bright enough to cut through.

Then again, I don't tune down, so YMMV, I'm an E or E-flat kind of guy. But I really think you should at least try a Duncan Custom out. :dunno:

Comment

TB-5 it is then. Now I just need to choose a neck pup - SH1/59?
                      Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Actually, the JB does great in the neck IMO. Not so great in the bridge (unless you want the atypical Pussified Hair Metal tone, which on a Warrior would violate some law somewhere )

As for comparing one pickup in a Soloist to the same pickup in a Warrior, you really can't make that comparison even though both have the same woods. Body shape does have some effect on tone. Vs only sound like Vs, Explorers only sound like Explorers, LP-types only sound like LP-types, and Strat-types only sound like other Strat-types. With the Warrior being closest to an Explorer than a Strat-type, it leans towards that type of sound.
                        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by sully View Post

Sully
                          I recently put the Custom / Jazz combo in my Gibson V - LOVE IT! the best way i can describe the Custom is it's the perfect combination of Vintage and Modern sound at the same time in the same pickup!
                          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                            Y'know it truly is sad that Wilksy can't post or read the SDUGF posts, because just one week ago we had a discussion over there about how fucking annoying it is when people speak of the pickups by their model number (SH-this, TB-that) which no one memorizes, rather than their model names (JB, Custom, Invader, etc).
                            +1000

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                              As for comparing one pickup in a Soloist to the same pickup in a Warrior, you really can't make that comparison even though both have the same woods.
                              I just did. :dunno:

I also can compare the same pickup in bolt-on and neck-through guitars, and guitars made of weird-ass woods that Jackson would never dream of using, that have a TB-4 and don't sound anything like "pussified hair metal."

Comment

Working...
                              X