No announcement yet.

Need help picking a dimario pickup

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

You said "80's metal." The PAF Pro was heavily used by Vai, Gilbert - all those guys. The DMZ/IBZ pickups in all the Ibanez RG's were based on the PAF Pro.
    I hope not the powersound those suck! I didn't mention those guys either.
    I should maybe think about a mid level pup since all my current ones are high output.

Comment

Try a Norton.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Try a Norton.
        This one needs some looking into.

Comment

Yeah!

or if you're into to paying the price premium, I wouldnt hesitate to pickup a Bare Knuckle Holy Diver or Bare Knuckle VHII! I know the holy diver sounds totally awesome for 80s metal. It may not be fat enough for you, I use it more for Maiden-esque stuff.

But the medium output stuff from DiMarzio is much better for those fat tones. I would also reccomend trying a Tone Zone (FME, sounds totally different depending on guitar) or Evo2 from the high output.

You can't NOT mention the almighty Duncan JB on this one. And I think you can get it in cream.
          I like EL34s.

Comment

Yeah!

or if you're into to paying the price premium, I wouldnt hesitate to pickup a Bare Knuckle Holy Diver or Bare Knuckle VHII! I know the holy diver sounds totally awesome for 80s metal. It may not be fat enough for you, I use it more for Maiden-esque stuff.

But the medium output stuff from DiMarzio is much better for those fat tones. I would also reccomend trying a Tone Zone (FME, sounds totally different depending on guitar) or Evo2 from the high output.

You can't NOT mention the almighty Duncan JB on this one. And I think you can get it in cream.
            too expensive and they don't come in cream according to their website. Since the JB is seymour duncan, I would go custom if I went the SD route with cream and a cover special ordered. For that maiden sound I would have to go with the dimarzio super distortion since that's what they use.
            the tone zone I already have in 2 guitars, in some guitars I have hated it lately.
            The Evo2 is in the running.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
                For that maiden sound I would have to go with the dimarzio super distortion since that's what they use.
                If this is for your Fiesta red - be aware that the original route is not deep enough for Super Distortions and Duncan Distortions.
                -------------------------
                Blank yo!

Comment

If this is for your Fiesta red - be aware that the original route is not deep enough for Super Distortions and Duncan Distortions.
                  A luthier redid the guitar and already has a seymour duncan distortion with a pickup ring so I hope it was done right.

Comment

Then you're probably all set.
                    -------------------------
                    Blank yo!

Comment

Rich, I replaced my 1972 Super Distortion with a Holy Diver and like the Holy Diver better.

And im pretty sure BKP can do any colour you want if you ask
                      I like EL34s.

Comment

No to paying 140-150 for a pickup!

Comment

Yes to worth it?

Honestly.. I was just like you.

But I swear these are the best pickups you will ever use.

If you don't like it, ship it my way hahaha.
                          I like EL34s.

Comment

Think

You are paying 60-80 dollars a pickup. For twice that, you get an amazing "custom" pickup

When you pop them into your guitar there is a world of difference.

Take my word for it. I am possibly the most anal tone snob ever. I don't settle for "pretty awesome".

the ceramic nailbomb helped give me my sound.
                            I like EL34s.

Comment

The JB lasted a week in my KE2. It was too high end focused, lacked harmonic character, and didn't have any of the low mid growl I like. I'm feeding a Legacy II so I figured Evo2 was worth a shot. It hit the spot. It is articulate without the harsh highs of the JB. The harmonics jump out and the low mid growl is all there. It is also very dynamic. I've used the Super Distortion since the early '80's and still have one in my Bich, I like the Evo2 better.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
                                Think

You are paying 60-80 dollars a pickup. For twice that, you get an amazing "custom" pickup

When you pop them into your guitar there is a world of difference.

Take my word for it. I am possibly the most anal tone snob ever. I don't settle for "pretty awesome".

the ceramic nailbomb helped give me my sound.
                                You can also call Duncan and get them to make you a custom pickup to whatever specs you want.
                                I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                                X