Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just got this from musicman faq :

http://www.music-man.com/faq/music-m...-man-neck.html

To clean the neck, use a high-grade of lemon oil. If the neck is very dirty, try Murphy's Oil Soap diluted 3:1. Some players have found that using a toothbrush for cleaning is very effective. Since the neck is finished only with the gunstock oil/wax blend, it is more susceptible to humidity changes. A very infrequent dose of gunstock oil will help to keep the neck maintained; we recommend Birchwood-Casey Tru-Oil, but any good quality gunstock oil will work. Use a small amount, leave it on for just 5 minutes, then it off with a paper towel. After that, apply Birchwood-Casey Gunstock Wax. Be sure to douse the paper towel with water before disposing of it! Read the wax and oil manufacturer's instructions regarding disposal of these used paper towels.

Birchwood-Casey products are available at most sporting goods or gun stores or directly. Their web address is www.birchwoodcasey.com
    Rosewood fingerboards should not be treated with the gunstock oil; instead they should be treated with a high grade of lemon oil. Again, for cleaning, try using the same high grade of lemon oil to clean the entire neck, both maple and rosewood fretboards. Ernie Ball Wonder Wipes Fretboard Conditioner are excellent for frequent cleaning and maintenance as they are very effective and string removal is not necessary.

If the neck is very dirty, you can use a small amount of Murphy's Oil Soap, diluted 3:1 to clean it. Keep in mind that if the dirt has gotten into the wood, it cannot be removed except by sanding it down, which we do not recommend. It is better to keep it clean in the first place. Washing your hands first helps! On an unfinished neck, some discoloration after many hours of playing is normal. Be sure to follow all of the manufacturers recommended safety precautions when using any of these oils or waxes.
    Last edited by donnykbs; 07-14-2010, 12:21 AM.
    Jackson Demon Custom Shop Black Cherry
    Ibanez RG5000SG
    Ibanez RGT3120TV
    Cole Clark FL1AC

Mesa Boogie Mark V Head
    Laney Cabinet 212 Lionheart
    POD Studio UX 2

Comment

Originally posted by Trussrod View Post
      I have a maple fret board and was wondering what the finish is. It's not raw wood. I just used Finger Ease to clean surface level dirt and grime from it. Is the finish polyurethane, lacquer, gun stock Tru-oil, etc.--I can't tell. There are a few spots where the finish has worn off and dirt is embedded in the wood so I'd like to clean those spots up and re-finish them.

Hey, why isn't this thread in the Tech Q&A section?
      What make and model is it?

If it's recently made, it's probably just a simple acrylic laquer. Behlen and McFaddens are popular brands used to finish and repair maple fretboards.

When we're talking about maple necks and fretboards, we must make a distinction between completely unfinished (exposed grain) and laquered/finished/whatever. They are cared for differently! I don't see a distinction in the Music Man article, but I'm assuming it talks about unfinished wood. I'd be careful about putting any sort of wax or compound on exposed grain.

Comment

So after looking up the Birchwood Casey Gunstock Wax recommended by Music Man, I'd steer clear. It appears to contain caranuba, beeswax, and silicone. I believe EB/MM treat their necks with this before they leave the factory (don't hold me to that), and I do know that the EB/MM necks are notorious for getting gummed up/sticky/dirty.

Keep in mind also that--yes--there are different ways of maintaining these things. I'm telling you what the industry standard is, what's been used for many years and is known to be effective and to not fuck up your instrument. If anyone has better solutions that have worked, I'd love to hear them.

Comment

I believe the main topic of this thread was the finish on a PC1 Au Natural body and neck.

So I'll say this again...
          Scott's Liquid Gold is perfect for cleaning and maintaining the finish.
          It has no wax or silicone additives. It doesn't leave a residue either.
          My PC1 Au Natural still looks like it did when I got it new some 6 years ago.
          It also works great on the neck and fret board.

Just spray it on, let it set for a few minutes and then wipe it off.
          Last edited by rjohnstone; 07-14-2010, 12:22 PM.
          -Rick

Comment

Naptha is ideal for our purpose, which is all Scott's Liquid Gold is. I might try it myself.

Comment

Finally, i bought lemon pledge from Johnson which contains no wax and no buildup, i will try to use it for about 3 months to see how it goes, and once in a while i will use murphy oil soap

Thanks for all your info, hope u have a great day, GBU
              Jackson Demon Custom Shop Black Cherry
              Ibanez RG5000SG
              Ibanez RGT3120TV
              Cole Clark FL1AC

Mesa Boogie Mark V Head
              Laney Cabinet 212 Lionheart
              POD Studio UX 2

Comment

Working...
              X