No announcement yet.

Best Pickups for Down Tuning

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ok, I bought a full shred on ebay for 43.50. I already have 3 SD customs.
    Bottom line, these pickups are fantastic and totally worth the $150 you spend on them. you're spending like 75$ a pickup from SD or DiMarzio anyways.
    I 'm was going for used. But no offense that's is the worst logic, since you're spending one amount why not just go ahead and double it? i'm an accountant and that makes no sense to me.

Comment

I really like the SD Jazz pickup in the neck spot of my RR3. I have that guitar in C standard and it sounds great, very clear. I've use EMG's and Blackouts and I also find myself going back to passives.
      Last edited by Echo; 05-14-2010, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Rich#6 View Post
        Ok, I bought a full shred on ebay for 43.50. I already have 3 SD customs.
        I 'm was going for used. But no offense that's is the worst logic, since you're spending one amount why not just go ahead and double it? i'm an accountant and that makes no sense to me.
        I'd have to agree.

I came upon my Warpig by chance-it was free in a case with a guitar I bought at GC. It is a fantastic pickup in my HM Strat, but so are the Aria Pro II Rail singles, so WTF? Maybe it's the guitar not the pickups.

I've got great sounding Korean import pickups too.

Good luck with the Full Shred. I have a set in my 750XL, tuned down 1/2. They are very tight, and not very loose. If you are a Steve Via or Satch or Petruci (not even going to try to spell) fan and have fast fingers and blazing notes, you will like these.

I'm not fast, more of a Judas Priest / Maiden / Scorpions kind of guy, so the CC, JB, Super D are a little more of my flavor. But I'm keeping the Full Shred set in there for the time being. Maybe I just need to get used to them.

They are certainly not what I thought they's be. I was expecting something super bright and harsh on the ears like a JB. Not even close, but a 750XL with a fixed bridge isn't an SL2H.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          Which Lamb of God song? They've used JBs, Invaders, Customs, '59s, Live Wires, EMGs, DiMarzios, whothefucknows?
          i don't know, i heard one of the guitarist say he uses the Custom. good point. i'll shut up now.
          Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

DiMarzio X2N

Comment

Dimarzio X2N or Dimarzio Dropsonic with the bar towards the bridge are really good for downtuning. Dimarzio D-activator X could be worth a try too. Duncan Custom also works well in lower tunings.

Comment

Also, Lamb of God plays strictly in drop D, not what most would consider drop tuning.

That said, I play in Drop C and C Standard quite regularly and I find that my RR1 with EMG 81's is great, and my Schecter with a Duncan Distortion in the bridge is great in that tuning.

Comment

For down tuning a lot the Lundgren M6 (M7 or M8 for 7 and 8 string guitars) is pretty sic. From the sound clips and the Meshuggah CDs you can see the pickup has tons of power and bite, but is super clear.

Cheaper options would be Duncan Full Shred for that tight bottom end punch or the BlackOuts.

Really though, I'm tuned down to C on my King V3 with an EMG81 in the bridge and it sounds great. Down tuned guitars is the one place where the "over processed" sound of actives fades away and turns into a really tight, crunchy perfect tone for down tuned guitars. Also, a lot of people have said they like the sound of the EMG85 with low tunings. I've never tried it myself, but a number of people on these boards and in famous bands (Killswitch Engage) have used this set up.

Comment

Originally posted by Electric View Post
                    Also, Lamb of God plays strictly in drop D, not what most would consider drop tuning.
                    They did more than just Drop D on the Wrath album.
                    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Working...
                    X