No announcement yet.

Pickup set help?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

If you want I can record some clips of the blackouts in my model 5 through various amp models with my toneport. I'm not a great player by any stretch though.
    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

sounds like you want EMGs, BMFV and metallica both use them

ive heard that the blackouts have more midrange, some people like this, some dont, its really up to your preference, ive never used active pickups so i cant offer my opinion

why have you not considered passive pickups?, SD or Dimarzio have models that will probably give you what you want, a JB or DD will sound awesome IMO

Comment

also Mark Morton from Lamb of god uses passive SD '59 models in both the neck and bridge and his guitar sound is as heavy as fuck, so you definately do not need actives to play metal,

almost anything will sound better that the HZs though, i find them a lifeless and dull, however i have them in a Basswood bodied guitar

just my .02c

Comment

I don't think Morton has used 59's for a few years. He did have one guitar with blackouts in it for a bit I believe but i think lately he's been using an EVO or something like that.

Also, while Metallica might play EMG's live and in the studio, they also play a lot of other guitars that don't have EMG's when recording. (Both Kirk and James have some Les Pauls I know they have busted out for recording.)

I'll take a little more time typing this out at home than I would have available at work. Both the Blackouts and EMG 81/85 use the some wiring and pot values and have the same quick connector on the pickup. Buy EMG set or the Blackout set. Make sure you do the wiring using the 3 pin quick connector setup. When you can spare extra cash buy the other set. Now swap pickups in and out, neck to bridge mix and match till you find what works best for you. If you can afford to sit on the spare parts then do so and use them in other guitars. If you can't then sell them as a set with the leftover wiring package and recoup some cash. It's a simple solution. Here is a pick of the connector. The Blackouts ship with regular wires coming from the pickup as well as the quick connector.

Like I said if you want, I can make some quick recordings of the Blackouts in my Model 5 through any of the amp models I have for the Line6 toneport on my PC. I have all the model packs including the Metal Shop one so I can do emulated Uber, Recto, XTC, or a couple of Diezel's. I might have to email them to you though because I know I'm butting right up against my webspace limits on my account. And don't expect virtuoso playing, I'm not one of the boards bonafide players.

Basically the Blackouts are my go to choice for when I want to play lots of simple 2 note power chords with that perfect chainsaw distortion. Because their output is quite hot (but clean) they are almost like playing with a clean boost pedal slamming the amp front end.
          GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Hellbat View Post
            If you want I can record some clips of the blackouts in my model 5 through various amp models with my toneport. I'm not a great player by any stretch though.
            That would be really kind. If it's alright with you then i'd love to hear some recordings.
            Gear

Jackson DXMG
            Jackson JS30RR
            Boss ML2 Metalcore Pedal
            Dunlop GCB-95 Crybaby
            Blackstar HT5H
            Marshall MC212

Gear I want

Jackson RR1T Black
            Marshall JCM 800 2203
            Marshall 1960A Cab

Comment

Okay, I had good intentions for this but I did a ton of yard work today and I'm feeling pretty beat. So, this is through the Uberschall setting using my Line-6 Toneport to start. Just some basic dull out of time riffing to give you an idea on the character of the pickup. Followed by some single note stuff/bad "8 year old epileptic at GC" noodling. Then to mix it up some blues noodling on a clean Fender Bassman model using the neck and bridge to show how they sound clean. Keep in mind the Model 5 is pretty rough these days and needs a lot of TLC to get it back to regular player status too so it is a little more dull sounding due to fretwear. And the intonation is out too. Anyways enough rambling, here is the MP3. I don't see myself having it up for a really long time so grab it while you can.

http://members.shaw.ca/dpcowan/blackouts.mp3
              GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Wow, I just listened to this MP3 at work and it sounds super aliased and has this crappy buzz over the top. I have no idea what happened to it. The version on my desktop at home sounds normal. I think my ISP is somehow doing something to it. Sorry about that...

If you want me to email the original or something let me know.
                GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Working...
                X