Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Riffmeister View Post
    Sorry to confuse you man, I'm already confused enough for the both of us

I just double checked to make sure I was right, but the cloth covered wire has only ONE wire in it.
    You're talking about the wire inside the cavity between things and not from the pickup, correct? If so, you're right. I was thinking you meant from the pickups...which need to have two wires.

So basically, what are the lugs on a 3 Way switch. I don't know if the wiring to the switch should stay the same for the passives that are replacing the EMGS. I don't have them yet so I cant jsut start experimenting , which I would rather not do anyway.
    Wire it the same. That doesn't matter for EMG vs. passives. The switching works the same. All you need to change are the pots to lower values due to the active pickups.

Another thing that is screwing with me is that the hot output wire had two wires at the switch end, one going to the case of the switch, I guess for ground, but the other end only had the one wire from the middle swithc lugs to the output jack.
    Sometimes that's done to act as a shield against EM interference. Other times it's done because the person was sloppy who did the work!

Comment

It was the wiring in the cavity that I was talking about.

I left the switch wired all the same, and I got 500k pots to replace the ones with the EMG's.

I had thought about using the braided wire like Straycat mentioned, but the outer mesh stuff just fell apart after stripping off the outer jacket. It wasn't like the stuff pictured above, the braided stuff actually had a PVC jacket around it,as well as the inner wire having a PVC jacket as well, apparantly this stuff is pretty cheap and not good for much

Plus it was hard to manuver around in the cavity, it's not very flexible.

Thanks guys for all the help, now I am a little less of an idiot when it comes to wiring a guitar
      Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

I totally misread you and didn't provide much help on the wiring then. Sorry.

It sounds like the wiring you have is similar to an instrument wire for design, but obviously smaller. It gets used for shielded cable in guitar amps all the time btw and works fine. (Perhaps not the stuff you have, but the general style of wire.) There's a knack to stripping it to get to the shield without destroying it, and then stripping down to the inner core wire.

Comment

Working...
        X