No announcement yet.

Wanted: Hot but articulate pickup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'll not be voting because out of those pickups, I've only really used the DD a lot.

I have a CC, but not a regular Custom.

I have a Super D, but it's not in anything.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
      Actually, On Rust In Peace, he used a DiMarzio X2N.
      Really?
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Hot AND articulate.... TB-11 (Custom Custom)
        Smoother highs than the Custom. I think the Custom can get a bit shrill at times.
        Great mid tones as well.
        -Rick

Comment

"Progressive Death Metal". ...There's a Spinal Tap joke in there somewhere.

Comment

"Progressive Death Metal" sounds like you'd like a somewhat scooped sound? For that, I'd recommend the X2N. Excellent pickup! It has tight bottom, and is hotter than an EMG, but without being fizzy. It also has a great singlecoil sound when split, which is more than I can say for most humbuckers.

Comment

Originally posted by Krymson86 View Post
              Well, a the risk of being mocked. If you don't want something that everyone else has you might want to check ebay for some old Jackson J-90C or J-92C pickups. Which were hot, but still had a clarity to their tone.
              This wasn't my experience at all. I had a J-90C in a Charvel Model 2 and thought it was the weakest thing around, next to maybe stock Fender Strat single coils.

It actually sounded great but I didn't think it was very hot.
              Last edited by PowerTube; 03-17-2010, 03:40 PM.
              Member - National Sarcasm Society

"Oh, sure. Like we need your support."

Comment

?

J90C seems very hot in my Charvel Fusion Deluxe.

Comment

"clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

X2N!! I love 'em. Great for that razor-sharp sound Chuck pulled on Symbolic and Sounds...

Also, though i've not tried one, maybe consider looking into the Dimarzio Drop-Sonic. From my understanding it's sort of a combo of the X2n and the PAFPro

Comment

Who's Chuck???

Comment

OK just as an experiment, I just did a back-to-back comparison of my SL2H (stock JB) vs. my SL1 which has a TB-5 in the bridge, no EQ changes, just popped the cord out of one and into the other.

I determined that I need to buy another TB-5 for my SL2H.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                          Really?
                          Yup
                          I like EL34s.

Comment

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
                            Who's Chuck???
                            Schuldiner....

Grim mentioned his band was going for a similar sound to late era Death

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by Krymson86 View Post
                                Another option might be Anderson H3, H3+, HN3 or HN3+, which are all supposed to be very hot, but clear and tight in terms of tone.
                                I've used those for years in some of my guitars with very good results. I really like the H3 and H3+: very articulate and warm, while still being high gain. In addition, they're priced right there with Duncan and Dimarzio, despite coming form Anderson.

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post
                                OK just as an experiment, I just did a back-to-back comparison of my SL2H (stock JB) vs. my SL1 which has a TB-5 in the bridge, no EQ changes, just popped the cord out of one and into the other.

I determined that I need to buy another TB-5 for my SL2H.
                                That would have been my first choice for what you listed. I love the Custom. The JB works well in some guitars and sounds horrible in others. (I would note however that I change my EQ settings to work with different pickups so dialing in a great tone with the Custom and then switching to the JB is pretty much guaranteed to make the Custom sound better.)

Comment

Working...
                                X