Wanted: Hot but articulate pickup.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by tonemonster View Post
    I am sure many will disagree with me, but IMO you cannot go wrong with the Duncan JB. most practical and useful rock pickup out there. as your title states, its hot and articulate.
    Agreed. Love the JB in my SL2H.

But it sounds like the OP needs a Full Shred.

Comment

The only things I can say here for certain, and that is that all Duncans I tried in my SL2 were too bright, and the Tone Zone is a very articulate pup.
      Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Custom or TZ

Comment

Originally posted by 6string40 View Post
          Custom or TZ
          my two faves
          Hail yesterday

Comment

Well, a the risk of being mocked. If you don't want something that everyone else has you might want to check ebay for some old Jackson J-90C or J-92C pickups. Which were hot, but still had a clarity to their tone.

Another option might be Anderson H3, H3+, HN3 or HN3+, which are all supposed to be very hot, but clear and tight in terms of tone.

Comment

Originally posted by Grim View Post
              @ ToneMonster, I'm aware it's hot and articulate. The problem is it's so damn bright!
              Then it sounds like the Duncan "Custom 5" is your pickup to me. its similar to the JB, but not as bright. I have one in my CS Jackson. its a good pickup, but if I had my choice, I would go JB every time.

not only that, but bulldykes love JB pickups too.
              "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Duncan Trem-spaced Distortion (TB-6, not SH-6). It's hot and articulate. Almost sounds like running a clean and distorted channel at once. Kind of annoying, actually
                I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Then it sounds like the Duncan "Custom 5" is your pickup to me. its similar to the JB, but not as bright. I have one in my CS Jackson.
                  The C5 is more on the vintage-sounding side and closer to a '59 with its slightly scooped mids.
                  I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I am sure many will disagree with me, but IMO you cannot go wrong with the Duncan JB. most practical and useful rock pickup out there. as your title states, its hot and articulate.
                    My all-time favorite pickup. All of my guitars have a JB in the bridge.

Comment

the jb seemed to do great tight fast palm muting riffs for Dave Mustaine for years.
                      Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                        the jb seemed to do great tight fast palm muting riffs for Dave Mustaine for years.
                        Yeah, it seemed to. :dunno:

Comment

Oh people just diss the JB cuz it rocks better than what they have. Its the same reason ugly women hate beautiful women........they got it goin on.
                          "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

Originally posted by Krymson86 View Post
                            Another option might be Anderson H3, H3+, HN3 or HN3+, which are all supposed to be very hot, but clear and tight in terms of tone.
                            THIS is the answer....

All of these pickups are absolutely flawless. Clarity personified.

All of them are HOT too.

For my experiences, the H3 has enough output for ANY application.

But, what do I know I've only got 100+ guitars!
                            Kahler...Killing guitar values DEAD since 1981.

Comment

Originally posted by Dreamland_Rebel View Post
                              Actually, On Rust In Peace, he used a DiMarzio X2N.
                              I like EL34s.

Comment

Apparently my attempt at posting a poll failed. I wanted 7 options, with the Bareknuckle Nailbomb included....
                                I like EL34s.

Comment

Working...
                                X