No announcement yet.

Basswood vs Mahogany

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Basswood, like all wood, has good and bad varieties. Many crapass import models that flooded the shelves in the 80s (Hondo, etc) that weren't made of plywood were made of the Asswood everyone thinks about.

Basswood is a fairly soft wood that dents easily, much like mahogany. However, since mahogany is associated with expensive furniture and Les Pauls, everyone thinks all mahogany is superior to anything else. That's a false assumption, clearly.

Though I love my Jacksons, Alder and Poplar sound a bit "plain" to me. Like there's no real character other than what the pickup and amp can provide. My old Ibenhad EX350 nailed certain "trademark Ibanez" tones like Satch (Surfing, though Satch said he used a Kramer Stagemaster for that album) and Skolnik (Souls Of Black, particularly the opening solo to the The Legacy).

The only Jacksons I've had that could nail certain specific tones are my JacksonStars NASLs (mahogany body & neck for that early Sabbath SG tone) and my USA Charvels for Iron Maiden (NOTB-Powerslave).

While the others don't sound "bad", they don't sound "familiar". To be honest, I can't recall listening to anyone who actually played a Jackson when they were doing it. At least not enough to cop their tone. Ratt, Jake Lee, Stryper. That was pretty much it from the Jackson camp. Most of what Rhoads did on record was his LP, the Sandoval, or his Concorde, as I recall. Don't recall ever hearing anything about what specific tracks he used the black one on, if any.

And say what you will about the Lo-TRS Floyd, it has a unique tone. Hollow, yes, to a degree, and not as tight as an OFR, but I like that certain harmonic degeneration sometimes. It's a tonal Crayon not found in the Floyd box. While the OFR may last longer, it's always going to be missing that certain tonal characteristic. Ibanez can kiss my ass till the end of time, and I'll never own another one if I can help it, but that EX350 with the shitty wood and the shitty fretwork and the shitty trem and shitty pickups had a sound I miss.
    I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Makes no difference. A good guitar is a good guitar, be it a Fender HM Strat or a R0 LP.

You can have shit guitars made out of either wood. And you can be tricked because there is "good" and "bad" versions of either wood.

Comment

One thing to ponder:

The Charvel 750XL was always listed as having a "Mahogany body with maple top". ...and that's what everyone thought they had, until someone recently discovered that the ones in non-transparent finishes actually had basswood bodies with maple tops.

Comment

Perhaps for the similar density of the wood and thus a similar resonance factor? Hmmmm.

At any rate, if something's advertised a certain way, it should be that way. Though most companies do throw out the disclaimer of changing the specs without notice, and without changing the price to reflect the less-expensive manufacture.
          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I have alot of Korina guitars for tone, Fenders that are all Alder. My Basswood setneck Musikraft guitar I didn't worry about the wood mainly cause of the pickups used. Seymour Duncan Blackouts will make a fence picket rock!!!!

Charvel CST 060 1992
            Charvel CST 070 1992
            Charvel CDS 090 1993
            Gibson Les Paul Standard 1993
            Gibson Les Paul DC 2007
            Gibson Les Paul Traditional 2013
            Gibson Les Paul Classic 1999
            Duesenberg 49er 2012
            Duesenberg V-Caster 2007
            Duesenberg Starcaster 2006
            History TH-LS Limited 2009
            History SH-LSV 2010

Comment

a duncan distotion sounds great in basswood.
              DK2 EERIE DESS
              KE3 CUSTOM
              KELLY PROFESSIONAL
              KELLY PS6T W/ DK2 NECK
              RR3 PRO
              BC RICH MR-7 STEALTH
              KRAMER VOYAGER
              LINE6 HD150 SPIDER IV HEAD
              TWIN CRATE 4X12 CABS

Comment

I'm a whore.
                I pretty much find something to like, or use, with all kinds of wood/pickup combos.
                Some favs not yet mentioned: Maple, Koa, Lacewood
                My Warmoth mahogany bodied-Chandler necked mutt took me the longest to find pickups that I thought were flexible enough for me.
                Ended up here (PATB's):

I have two Schaller trems sitting in my parts box, and prefer the JT-6 in this guitar, believe it or not.
                "Wow,... that was some of the hardest rockin ever. Hardest to listen too."
                --floydkramer

Comment

Just bought my third Fusion HH about a month ago and I am replacing the PUPS with duncans....have not even played through an amp yet...cant help but love the tonal quality of the mahogany body...trying to collect of few of the old PROS....really looking for an old Kelly..early 90's MIJ

Comment

Mahogany! hands down! best damn wood ever chopped into a guitar!

Comment

Working...
                    X