Truss rod is all the way loose and relief is .005"

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Chad View Post
    Update: seller is refusing to help in any way at all. I'd like to set the guitar up with .010" relief. He is telling me that no one could possibly want that amount of relief and that it is crazy to expect a guitar to do that. :think:
    He's apparently retarded, because, give or take, .009 to .011 is around average (or even up to .020 for some people) when holding down the low E string and looking at about the 8th fret.
    I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Send it to us & we can put our neck heater to the neck to add bow. It shouldn't take much to get the relief you want. The only thing you will be out is shipping. I will do the work for free since the guitar was purchased here. Let me know. I hope this helps.

BTW, if anybody has any more info on how to fix this or a could refer me to a luthier who could, it would be much appreciated.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
        He's apparently retarded, because, give or take, .009 to .011 is around average (or even up to .020 for some people) when holding down the low E string and looking at about the 8th fret.
        I tend to agree, but the seller told me that he is a teacher and therefore intelligent and therefore fully understands truss rods, how they work, and how to adjust them. Considering his superior intelligence and the fact that he is already a member here, I sure wish he would enlighten us with some of his wisdom.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonpc1 View Post
          Send it to us & we can put our neck heater to the neck to add bow. It shouldn't take much to get the relief you want. The only thing you will be out is shipping. I will do the work for free since the guitar was purchased here. Let me know. I hope this helps.
          Bro, that sounds awesome! I am so frustrated right now and it is so refreshing to hear something positive. THANK YOU! I'll shoot you a PM.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
            Let me introduce myself, I am the seller of the guitar. Again as described by the buyer the trussrod when tightened increases back bow, when loosened it returns to the original position. My friends at Willoughby Music have offered to fix this for free and since I paid $100 more for shipping than I charged I hope this is sufficient. I do not disagree that it does not do what you want, I do disagree about the trussrod being defective. I will pay to have it shipped back once it is fixed.
            Last edited by jacksonsl1t; 03-16-2010, 06:22 PM.

Comment

Well, good for you, JacksonSL1T. I just think it's retarded for you to think .010 is crazy for relief.
              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonsl1t View Post
                Let me introduce myself, I am the seller of the guitar. Again as described by the buyer the trussrod when tightened increases back bow, when loosened it returns to the original position. My friends at Willoughby Music have offered to fix this for free and since I paid $100 more for shipping than I charged I hope this is sufficient. I do not disagree that it does not do what you want, I do disagree about the trussrod being defective. I will pay to have it shipped back once it is fixed.
                This is a reply to your pre-edited post...

If you have anything to do with Willoughby offering to repair the guitar for free aside from shipping costs, then.....well it's hard to say this considering what a royal pain you have been to deal with......but....thank you. If not, then please don't try to make yourself look good because of somebody else's good deed.

As far as shipping costs on Ebay, it is up to the seller to research and charge what they feel is adequate. What it actually ends up costing is totally irrelevant to the buyer and is no grounds to justify anything. i.e. if you short charged on shipping, then that's your problem. Research it better next time. And preferably pack it on your own using your own packing materials, so you don't get overcharged paying one of the shipping outlets to do it. I learned those lessons on Ebay many years ago.

Comment

This is a reply to your pre-edited post...

If you have anything to do with Willoughby offering to repair the guitar for free aside from shipping costs, then.....well it's hard to say this considering what a royal pain you have been to deal with......but....thank you. If not, then please don't try to make yourself look good because of somebody else's good deed.

As far as shipping costs on Ebay, it is up to the seller to research and charge what they feel is adequate. What it actually ends up costing is totally irrelevant to the buyer and is no grounds to justify anything. i.e. if you short charged on shipping, then that's your problem. Research it better next time. And preferably pack it on your own using your own packing materials, so you don't get overcharged paying one of the shipping outlets to do it. I learned those lessons on Ebay many years ago.
                  Ok, I was trying to be very carefull to make sure that your guitar arrive safe. Because my good friends at Willoughby Music have shipped many guitars and have had guitars show up broke and UPS would not pay for the damaged item because they claim it was not properly packed. I shipped it from a ups store instead of from a drop. Now that you have continued to air your laundry how about you let the good people of the forum know that I gave you my phone number to discuss this and you have not been man enough to call. As for your buddy Toejam congrats on creating your opinion from a one sided story. I never said .010 was out of line, I said .020 was. As for your wonderful knowledge of measuring you can enroll in my precision measuring class that starts in the fall, it will be more accurate then a set of mechanics filler gages.
                  Last edited by jacksonsl1t; 03-16-2010, 07:48 PM.

Comment

Ok, I was trying to be very carefull to make sure that your guitar arrive safe. Because my good friends at Willoughby Music have shipped many guitars and have had guitars show up broke and UPS would not pay for the damaged item because they claim it was not properly packed. I shipped it from a ups store instead of from a drop. Now that you have continued to air your laundry how about you let the good people of the forum know that I gave you my phone number to discuss this and you have not been man enough to call. As for your buddy Toejam congrats on creating your opinion from a one sided story. I never said .010 was out of line, I said .020 was. As for your wonderful knowledge of measuring you can enroll in my precision measuring class that starts in the fall, it will me more accurate then a set of mechanics filler gages.
                    Yes, you did give me your phone number, but I don't see how that says anything. If I recall correctly, I believe I read that message at midnight....didn't think I should call then. Plus, I prefer to have conversations in writing especially when things appear to be going south like this transaction was. On top of that, I despise talking on the phone. You are welcome to poll my family, co-workers, etc. on that one.

Anyway, if I understand correctly, you are gonna pay for the shipping once the guitar arrives at and is repaired by Willoughby. Is that right? If so, that's cool.

As for the other comments you made, I'll leave those alone. The dead horse has been so harshly beaten on that subject that I can't even comprehend how you can still hold that viewpoint.

Comment

Sorry I forgot to add, yes I did have something to do with them fixing it and I will be there when the work is done. I will be paying for the shipping to send it back to you once it is fixed.

Comment

Last edited by Chad; 05-30-2010, 07:20 PM.

Comment

Ok, I was trying to be very carefull to make sure that your guitar arrive safe. Because my good friends at Willoughby Music have shipped many guitars and have had guitars show up broke and UPS would not pay for the damaged item because they claim it was not properly packed. I shipped it from a ups store instead of from a drop. Now that you have continued to air your laundry how about you let the good people of the forum know that I gave you my phone number to discuss this and you have not been man enough to call. As for your buddy Toejam congrats on creating your opinion from a one sided story. I never said .010 was out of line, I said .020 was. As for your wonderful knowledge of measuring you can enroll in my precision measuring class that starts in the fall, it will be more accurate then a set of mechanics filler gages.
                          Just wondering, what else would you use besides feeler guages to make this measurement? Also, last time I checked feeler gauges are percise measuring tools. At least they have been for the last 22 years that I've been an auto tech.

Comment

I use a height gauge if I needed to be that accurate. In my 18 years of machining and seeing how some of the feeler gauges are made, most people do not pay the money for precision gauges. If you check them with a micrometer they are probably not as accurate as a lot of people think unless you spend the money to get high quality. However a height gauge is accurate down to .0005

Comment

I have absolutely the same problem with SL2HT, I wanted to increase a bow a little bit to remove slight buzz at open D and G, but truss rod already was all the way loose. I suspect that previous owner used really tick strings and the buzz came from the low height of the nut cuts. Action is incredibly low, it is around 1,2 mm from 12 to 24th frets, and there is no buzz, only with two open strings which I mentioned (I use 9-46 at the moment).
                              I suspect that is better to replace nut and enjoy the incredible stability of soloist's neck.

Comment

Or if you want to get it fixed, I'd highly recommend Jake at Willoughby Music. He used some heat on my SL1T's neck and now my range of truss rod adjustment is excellent. Jake is the man!

Comment

Working...
                                X