Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Riffmeister View Post
    Nor,

I got long shaft pots, the length isn't what I am worried about , it's the diameter, or do I even need to be worried about that ? When I heard SMALLER pot, I assumed it was the shaft diameter and not the length.

In any case, the diameter on the ones I got said they were 3/8 I beleive.
    The diameter is what I was addressing first - if the casing of the pot is wider than the cavity-side recess (if there is a recess) then it might be difficult.
    750xl, 88LE, AT1, Roswell Pro, SG-X, 4 others...
    Stilletto Duece 1/2 Stack, MkIII Mini-Stack, J-Station, 12 spaces of misc rack stuff, Sonar 4, Event 20/20, misc outboard stuff...

Why do I still want MORE?

Comment

For some reason the pots they sent are 2 different sizes, DOH! The push \push is a 5/16 and the gegular volume is a 3/8.

Just curious here , but can you take a push \push pot and use it for the volume of one pickup and use it to split another pup or does it have to use both functions on the same pup. I'd like to just have the one volume, but don't want the brige pup slpit , only the neck.

Also wondering - Since you can use a push\pull type pot to switch pups( George Lynch wiring) can you use a 3 way blade switch to split coils etc.

Also, with the push\push, will the pup be split with the shaft pushed in or out?
      Madness Reigns......... In the Hall of the Mountain King!

Comment

Ok , my first soldering job was a success, well kinda. Everything works and sounds fine, and the connections all seem strong, but some of my joints are that dull grey and I know they aren't supposed to be. Some are real shinny, but I don't know what I did to them to come out like that.

The first job was just a simple singe vol, songe hum.

The next one will be more complex, at least for me, it is 2 hum, 2 vol and the push\push pot.

I used the existing wiring on the first one, but got a wiring kit for the next job. It has some thinner wire, and a piece of braided wire. Is that the wire that I should use from the jack to pots?

My other guitar had some cloth covered stuff in it, so I don't know if it is braided or not.

Comment

Originally posted by Riffmeister View Post
          Ok , my first soldering job was a success, well kinda. Everything works and sounds fine, and the connections all seem strong, but some of my joints are that dull grey and I know they aren't supposed to be. Some are real shinny, but I don't know what I did to them to come out like that.

The first job was just a simple singe vol, songe hum.

The next one will be more complex, at least for me, it is 2 hum, 2 vol and the push\push pot.

I used the existing wiring on the first one, but got a wiring kit for the next job. It has some thinner wire, and a piece of braided wire. Is that the wire that I should use from the jack to pots?

My other guitar had some cloth covered stuff in it, so I don't know if it is braided or not.
          The dull gray coloring is a sign that the solder cooled too fast, usually from someone blowing on the connection once it's made to cool it. Generally, that's not good because it can weaken the joint. Double-check those "dull" connections to make sure they're solid. If they feel solid, I'd say you're fine to leave them as they are.
          My Gear: Stoneman SG-1, Hufschmid Tantalum H6, ESP KH-6, Sully #8 JCF One-Off, Templar GuitarWorks Relic Prototype, James Hetfield Tribal Hunt KL Explorer, Coobeetsa CCG-10-DX PRO Eagle, Schecter Hellraiser C-1 Hybrid, Daly Heiro Custom, Gibson Les Paul Custom, Gibson SG Menace, Peavey Vypyr 60 Tube

"You are dog shit in my shoe." -Newc

Comment

I tried like hell to not blow on anything, but the stupid fumes and smoke seemed like it was coming right for me

Comment

Ok, So I got my fisrt amp switch built now, everything went good, starting to get the soldering thing down.

I buil this switch using 2 leds and the only problem with it is the LEDS Blind the crap out of me! What can I do to tame them down a bit? The power for them is coming from the amp somehow, I don't have a battery or anything like that hooked to them.

Comment

Dab a bit of trans paint on them.Use a trans fingernail polish.
                Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Working...
                X