No announcement yet.

Floyd Rose "Original"?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The ones stamped "Floyd Rose Original" are the German made, real deal Floyds. There are also Floyds stamped "Floyd Rose" that are also German made, real deal Floyds. And now we're seeing the Korean Floyds like on the Charvel Pro Mods. But the "Floyd Rose Original" and the older "Floyd Rose" stamps are both made in Germany.
    "Got a crazy feeling I don't understand,
    Gotta get away from here.
    Feelin' like I shoulda kept my feet on the ground
    Waitin' for the sun to appear..."

Comment

You can simply just flip the trem over and read on the back if you want to know if it is MIG or MIK. A MIG Floyd has "Made in Germany", stamped into the back of the baseplate.

Comment

Sometimes it's stamped on top right next to the bar collar.

As I recall, the "Original" was stamped on them during Fender's ownership, because this was at a time when the licensing got way out of hand, and there had to be a definitive way to differentiate between the "original" (i.e. Fender-managed) and the Asian-made "copies", but not give credit to the "true original" (Kramer-managed) models which could still be found in Kramer-logoed boxes in stores.

I've got one now that's stamped "Floyd Rose Original", and have had one previously that was stamped "Original Floyd Rose".
        I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

I saw a misprint in a musicians friend once on a RR1,it said "original floyd rose original".Just thought that was funny
          BLS/SDMF

Comment

I just found one of those (Floyd Rose Original) in my parts stash from 1988. Damn I'm old.
            My hair is on fire!!!!!My hair is on fire!!!!!!
            Marshall 2205, 6100, 6100LM, JMP-1, EL84 20/20, VHT 2/50/2, Marshall 1960A & B cabs, '79 Strat, '84 Pacer, '98 Wolfgang, '08 Charvel San Dimas x 3.

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
              Sometimes it's stamped on top right next to the bar collar.

As I recall, the "Original" was stamped on them during Fender's ownership, because this was at a time when the licensing got way out of hand, and there had to be a definitive way to differentiate between the "original" (i.e. Fender-managed) and the Asian-made "copies", but not give credit to the "true original" (Kramer-managed) models which could still be found in Kramer-logoed boxes in stores.

I've got one now that's stamped "Floyd Rose Original", and have had one previously that was stamped "Original Floyd Rose".

yeah, floyd rose "original" tremolos were made from 1988-1992ish. the OFR become "floyd rose original" when fender introduced the floyd rose pro. still made in germany, just as good as OFR.

Comment

Floyd Rose Original tremolos

Hey everyone. I'm new to this forum. I found your discussion by Google and I thought I'd try to give everyone a simple piece of information about the whole Floyd Rose "Original" Tremolos debate. A lot about the history that has been mentioned is, for the most part, correct. However, if you want to know exactly about the "old" and the "new" Floyd Rose tremolos, just visit the the Floyd Rose website - www.floydrose.com. It also explains the difference between the Original, the 1000 series, the Special series, as well as the Speedloader model and their guitars. The "Original" as it's named is their flagship model made in Germany. The 1000 series and the Special series are made in Korea. The website discribes the 1000 series as "an excellent unit mirrored after the Original and is only available OEM." As a matter of fact, the FRT-1000 is not even a catagory in the parts list. It is just considered the same as the Original model. So, I hope this helps. I myself am having a guitar built by Mitchel at Mean Street Custom Gutars and have opted for the FRT-1000 as my choice of Floyd Rose. Even the Ping models that Mitchel provides for his guitars is an excellent choice for a FR tremolo, without the MIG price tag.
                Last edited by DesignRol; 02-02-2011, 12:23 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by DesignRol View Post
                  I myself am having a guitar built by Mitchel at Mean Street Custom Gutars and have opted for the FRT-1000 as my choice of Floyd Rose. Even the Ping models that Mitchel provides for his guitars is an excellent choice for a FR tremolo, without the MIG price tag.
                  Just make sure you designate that he retrofit a MIG bar and bar mounting hardware - unless you like floppy loose bars.
                  -------------------------
                  Blank yo!

Comment

As a matter of fact, the FRT-1000 is not even a catagory in the parts list. It is just considered the same as the Original model. So, I hope this helps. I myself am having a guitar built by Mitchel at Mean Street Custom Gutars and have opted for the FRT-1000 as my choice of Floyd Rose.
                    Well, it is actually different. The saddles are different, the base plate is thicker and a slightly different shape, the bar/collar is different, the bolts are different... Everything can be replaced with "regular" Floyd parts in the event of loss/failure though, so maybe that is why they don't have a separate parts category.

Many recessed tremolo guitars that are set up for a Floyd Rose cannot use the FRT-1000 because of the different base plate shape, and in a case of closer tolerances like replacing a JT580LP with a FRT-1000 the base plate thickness may limit travel.

Comment

it's just that in '88 to '92 floyd rose started to stamp their floyds with "floyd rose original" when when they introduced the "floyd rose pro."
                      Last edited by moku; 02-03-2011, 06:13 PM.

Comment

I agree with rjohnstone's comments. The FRT-1000 is not a licensed Floyd. It is an actual Floyd Rose. It's just made in Korea. The proof is at Floyd Rose.com. http://www.floydrose.com/bridges/index.php Also, supposedly you are not able buy an FRT-1000 as an actual guitar accessory or part. It is only available OEM (original equipment manufacturer). Floyd Rose doesn't even offer replacement parts specifically for the FRT-1000. They only show the "Original", "Pro", "Speedloader" and "Speedloader - Fixed" for authentic replacement parts. So, I'm assuming that the "Original" and the "FRT-1000" are compatible for replacement parts and are both designed and built to the same spec's. My new USA Fender-made EVH Wolfgang doesn't have an "Original" or MIG Floyd Rose. There is no "Made in Germany" stamp under the baseplate of those EVH Floyd Rose tremolo's. So I'm (again) assuming those Floyd's are the FRT-1000 with EVH paying for the licensing to have his name added above the Floyd Rose name at the top of those tremolo's. The MIG saddles are square cornered on all sides, whereas the MIK has a bevel at the rear of the saddle. The EVH Floyd's are beveled. Hope this helps for clarification. Keep it Rockin'!

Comment

So, I'm assuming that the "Original" and the "FRT-1000" are compatible for replacement parts and are both designed and built to the same spec's.
                          Except they aren't designed and built to the same specs, so you can stop assuming that.
                          Last edited by MakeAJazzNoiseHere; 02-24-2011, 01:26 PM.

Comment

All I know is that I love the flutter of my SL2H and it has MIG floyd (of course). It must be jelly cuz jam don't shake like that!

Comment

Working...
                            X