No announcement yet.

B string buzz.. still

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I checked the height and there is no fret buzz from any contact, i can see that clearly.
    This is also the 4th set of strings...

It happened with the set it came with, which i initially replaced with 9s.
    Then i noticed it still buzzed with new 9s, so i researched how to get rid of buzz with a possibly ruined nut (to save money replacing the rubbish nut) and it swapped it for what i thought was 10s, but thanks to daddarios stupid string labelling system the bag said XL110 (which i thought meant 10s...) but it was actually 9s....
    So i had to take off the perfectly new set to put on some XL120's which were the proper 10s...

All of these buzzed, hence i gave up and ordered a brand new nut.

Comment

110s ARE 10-46. 120s are 9-42.

Comment

Same difference, i lost track because they dont tell you on bags what sizes they are and i have about 10 bags all mixed up and they all have 120 or 110 on them.
        Either way something messed up happened and i strung up the wrong set.

Comment

I see how that could happen. I'm really anal retentive with string gauges, so I usually always pull out the dial calipers and check each string......takes about a minute to verify all of them. That makes sure I have the right gauge and I also like to see how accurate the strings are. I have found D'Addarios to be very consistent/accurate.

Comment

If its not fret buzz, & its harmonics, Does it do it unplugged? Could be a pickup.

Also you can mark that nut slot, the bottom side of the nut block, & area of the nut that the block seats against with grease pencil. Do this with the string tuned to pitch & just pulled out of the way. Then carefully set the string straight back down in the slot, tighten the block down & play. See if it still makes the sound. If so, pull the block back off & look at the impressions. If the string is vibrating in the nut, you should be able to see where.

Woman's eyeliner pencil will work. Shhhhhhh
            Last edited by Tricky; 01-27-2010, 04:30 PM.
            Models
            The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
            I dont need furniture.
            If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
            If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
            And rock that sucker.

Comment

ok. open string buzz = the nut is too low. you have to SHIM THE NUT, not the bridge. OR you can do this:

with everything in place and the strings locked, take your pick and push down on the string right next to the nut. do it pretty hard. enjoy.

Comment

tried both

no difference, although putting a thin flat headed screw diver under the string in the nut did clean the sound up right away... so it does appear to be the nut.
                I have now taken the nut out and im looking at it wondering why this thing is buzzing...

Is the groove better smooth or sharp?

Comment

smooth. sounds like there's a burr or something in the slot.

sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Does it make any difference if the string is locked unlocked at the nut?

If string clearance is at least .021 over the first fret & your still getting open string buzz, I would send the nut back.
                    If they will give you a refund, try another brand & supplier.

I have bought them from Carvin. High quality.
                    Same OFR nut that they use on their new guitars.
                    Models
                    The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
                    I dont need furniture.
                    If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
                    If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
                    And rock that sucker.

Comment

After months of tinkering i have finally fixed this motherF****R!!!

Okay all i did in the end was get a staple and cut off a tiny portion of the middle, this gave me a tiny flat piece of metal which i then slipped into the nut under the string.
                      Its soft enough to mold to the string, as well as give it a bit of lift without damaging the string or the string holder. It doesnt even effect the E next to it and i now get a lovely clean ring from the open B!!!

I have also done this on my DK1 Bengal, which has a slightly buzzy B too.
                      It was nowhere near as bad and cringeworthy as the WR1 but it still made me think twice about picking it up to play. Again this tiny little fix has completely removed any buzz and make it sound bright and clean.

So here it is the OFR nut fix youve all been dreaming of...

1/4 of a staple!
                      I will be selling these on ebay $10 for 6, who's first?

Comment

sounds like the first fret is a little high on the B string. Next time you're changing strings tap the first fret at the B string location lightly with a hammer. It could be as simple as the fret is not seated well. If that doesn't solve it, just file it ever so little and I bet it would perminantly fix it without a staple in the nut.

Comment

Working...
                        X