Best way to dull the frets on new San Dimas

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post

No worries, man. I've actually been dealing with it for a couple of months, working on the first Warmoth and trying to get them "un-sharp" and then more recently with another. I am certain that I can get them cleaned up (I already ground the ends down even with the binding) but, this is something I'm interested in doing/learning, already have a lot of the tools of the trade and some experience.
    I know what you mean. I'd like to be able to do this kind of stuff myself, but on the other hand (to quote Dr. Evil) "I'm not a real hands-on evil genius". It goes without saying that I would rather avoid ruining $2000 guitars in the learning process

Comment

Yeah, I would rather not ruin a $2000 guitar, too. Hopefully, I don't.

It helps to have a beater guitar to try stuff on.

Comment

Originally posted by MakeAJazzNoiseHere View Post

I honestly was not too impressed with these Charvels from a workmanship point of view. They have a deep-routed neck pocket to get the fretboard down nice and close to the face of the guitar, for example, and they did not trim the binding on the fretboard overhang, so it was smashing into the face of the guitar (causing a rise at the end of the fingerboard) which I fixed immediately, and I had to level the frets on the red one.
        I haven't been too impressed with any company regarding workmanship recently. It could just be bad luck that I keep running into lemons everywhere I look, but I suspect it's laziness on the shop floor, or a case of trying to speed up their output and cutting corners.

Comment

Yeah, I wonder if it isn't related to the economy... Can't trash a guitar because you fucked up the tremolo route a little, that costs money! Go ahead and ship it, maybe no one will notice!

I ordered an SL2H from a local shop and went to pick it up... It was dismal. Gouge in the fingerboard, big drippy paint run going into the tremolo route, tremolo route not straight (like bit chatter) and the MOP logo edges were "torn" like the mask lifted a little.

Of course, it had I. Martinez's name on it, but that's beside the point. I bet old I. Martinez wanted to bandsaw that sonofabitch, but they shipped it anyway, and I rejected it, and had them order me another one, which... It's been over 60 days so hopefully as soon as the boys get done screwing around with NAMM they will get my damned guitars shipped to me and they will be done right like a $1800 USA Jackson ought to be.

Comment

The economy is contributing I'm sure, but in my opinion quality hasn't been there for years. You can still find a close to perfect guitar but it takes more time, as you have to weed through a lot of shit in order to find the good ones.
            Sounds like you're running into more lemons than I have been recently.
            Last edited by spider murphy; 01-15-2010, 09:15 PM.

Comment

I think you're right, Spider, it's been a problem for years. But it's probably also not going to get better right now with the economy and all.
              Last edited by javert; 01-16-2010, 05:28 AM.

Comment

Working...
              X