Fixed bridge as a OFR replacement?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonP View Post
    All of the issues you mention are solved in seconds by cutting a block of wood to wedge the trem solid and flat, then crank the springs really hard so that the trem can't dive. You put the block of wood between the trem block and the body under the springs. Get 5 springs if you can to lock it in.
    +1

I say block the trem like sugested above. Tighten the fine tuners on the trem all the way down & just don't lock the nut. You will be able to rest your hand anywhere on the trem without it going out of tune.

As for corrosion. You will have that problem with any hardware. Unless it is stainless or brass. You may just have keep a hand towl handy. A little 3-in-1 oil and a good wipe down before you put up is a good habit.
    Models
    The prudes may snub them, but I don't care.
    I dont need furniture.
    If its tough, shreds, and screams, Its all good.
    If it gets jacked, I'll get another one.
    And rock that sucker.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
      You need to work on your technique then. I've never understood how people do this.
      Just rest your hand on the top of the Floyd by the post, and you don't need to apply much pressure. I'm a pretty heavy picker, but don't ever put the Floyd out of tune by lightly resting my palm on it.
      They actually push down on the bridge while picking, without realizing it, thus taking a Floyd out of tune. I did this when I started using a Floyd, but I wanted a floating trem so I resolved to adjust my right hand technique, and it helped my picking so much!
      Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by T0M= View Post
        Oh crap,it looks like i'll have to make a block first,couse there is no store in Croatia where i can buy tremolNO

Well,here's the thing i hate about OFR:

1.I cant rest my arm on it(like for example on TOM bridge),allways fells uncomfortable...and strings go little out of tune...fells almost like i'm "walking on ice"....this is the main reason acctually!
        2.When i bend one string,other strings also change pitch.
        3.I rarelly use trem arm at all...

I dont have money to buy new guitar,and U.S.A. Jacksons with TOM bridge are allmost unknow here in my country(in terms to trade mine for one)
        Save yourself some money and heartache, and simply block it with a piece of wood, temporarily. Don't glue it or screw it in, it will stay in place if you use the methods described in this thread. Otherwise you will ruin the resale value of your guitar. We have laughed at such cases in the Ebay section of this forum several times over the years - laughed, or cried, seeing someone ruin a perfectly good guitar with an abortion of a conversion from Floyd to tunomatic.

Trust me, you will hate yourself one day if you do something irreversible to that guitar...
        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Originally posted by Tricky View Post
          As for corrosion. You will have that problem with any hardware. Unless it is stainless or brass. You may just have keep a hand towl handy. A little 3-in-1 oil and a good wipe down before you put up is a good habit.
          Well, it's clearly not a problem with any hardware. In fact, I've never had the problem with any other hardware than the black Floyd Roses I have on my USA Jacksons, except for some cheap pickup and pickguard screws. And I started using oil on my Floyd Roses when I first realized it was a problem--but that's just another reason to avoid the Floyd Rose in the first place.
          Last edited by javert; 01-12-2010, 12:44 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by javert View Post
            Well, it's clearly not a problem with any hardware. In fact, I've never had the problem with any other hardware than the black Floyd Roses I have on my USA Jacksons, except for some cheap pickup and pickguard screws. And I started using oil on my Floyd Roses when I first realized it was a problem--but that's just another reason to avoid the Floyd Rose in the first place.
            I meant no offense and do agree that the black licensed Floyd's do rust easy. You mentioned you sweat allot. I just suggested a solution.

And yes, any hardware will corrode whether it is high quality or not. Unless it is stainless or brass. I have seen Gibson, Fender, Schaller, Wilkinson, & also original Chrome Floyd's off of 80s Kramer's, etc Rusted & seized up. Not to mention pickup poles. Some hold up better than others, but in the end, they all meet their fate.

Again, no offense. Just trying to help here.

Models
            I dont need furniture.
            And rock that sucker.

Comment

No problem, Tricky. And, for the record, I wasn't claiming that metals don't corrode, but rather that I had not observed the problem with anything but the mentioned items. Anyways, my point was merely that if you don't use the Floyd Rose anyway, it's just a nuisance that it needs extra maintenance. I don't expect the hardware to last for twenty plus years, but that the black ones seem to rust in just a few months is annoying--at least it has for the three I had.

Nice gear!

Comment

Hay, another thought. I know you want to get away from the Floyd, but maybe an original Floyd II would work for you. Their string through, so no messing with saddle locks, and if you blocked it & tightened the fine tuners down it wouldn't go out of tune if you lay your hand on it. Also if you get a Chrome one they hold up better than the black ones. Unless you want to keep everything black. As far as I know, a Wilkinson wont have the same stud spacing.

If you went with a hard tail body on thebay you would still have to get a bridge. More bucks.

:idea:
                You could mount a hard tail Kahler. Perm mod though.
                http://cgi.ebay.com/Kahler-7330-6-st...item2eaa4604bb
                Models
                I dont need furniture.
                And rock that sucker.

Comment

Threadjack: Hey Tricky, is that VM100 halfstack yours, and if so, how do you like it? I love mine, personally, just can't beat the bang for the buck either!! Nice Kramer as well!
                  Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Thx guys for comments!

Well it never hit my mind that maybe i could look for some other type tremolos other than OFR,now i have to explore that area more carefully!(i forgot to mention that fine tuners can get in a way sometimes also)

@Tricky-Will this Khaler fit?,haven't googled speceifications yet.
                    proud member of Jackson guitars fan club

Comment

Originally posted by lerxstcat View Post
                      Threadjack: Hey Tricky, is that VM100 halfstack yours, and if so, how do you like it? I love mine, personally, just can't beat the bang for the buck either!! Nice Kramer as well!
                      Your a lucky man.

I bought it new in 96.
                      Excellent clean channel & the lead channel will rip your head off.
                      Right up my alley. My main amp.
                      Models
                      I dont need furniture.
                      And rock that sucker.

Comment

Originally posted by Tricky View Post
                        Your a lucky man.

I bought it new in 96.
                        Excellent clean channel & the lead channel will rip your head off.
                        Right up my alley. My main amp.
                        Cool! I got mine new as well, in '97 when they were closing them out and introducing the MTS Series. Paid $379 brand fucking new with FREE FS-22! And yeah, it's not even a bang-for the buck thing, I am just REALLY happy with the amp. I have a pair of the 212 slants instead of the 412 slant though, and have an X-seriues straight 412 as well. anyway, threadjack over!
                        Ron is the MAN!!!!

Comment

Kahler makes an adapter plate to cover Floyd routs. Then the bridge mounts over it. You would have to make sure you have everything lined up correct. I'm sure Kahler can help you with measurements/template. Once you do it, you will have at least 4 new bolt holes in the body. I've never installed one. Just seen them on the Kahler site.
                          Models
                          I dont need furniture.
                          And rock that sucker.

Comment

Working...
                          X