No announcement yet.

What is this part called?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Just HTF did you snap the thinga-ma-jig? Forget to take bar off before slamming the case shut?
    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Naw! my idiot guitarist friend in my ex-band stuck a screw driver in while trying to set up the guitar!
      Sam

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
        ProRockGear.com has the socket listed separately, but they're out of stock:

http://www.prorockgear.com/tremoloarmhousingh.aspx

That's the only place I've ever seen them without a bar, and I'm wondering if they're just splitting up arm/socket sets or parting out whole trems. In a thread about loose trem bars awhile back, Zerberus (who used to work at Schaller) said that the way they are manufactured, they are supposed to stay together as a matched set in order to have the least amount of play.

They don't carry a hole lot of stuff but their price on Floyds was nice.
        I want to go out nice and peaceful in my sleep like my grandfather, not screaming and hollering like the passengers in his car.

Comment

Originally posted by emperor_black View Post
          Naw! my idiot guitarist friend in my ex-band stuck a screw driver in while trying to set up the guitar!
          :think::idea:
          Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by dg View Post
            ProRockGear.com has the socket listed separately, but they're out of stock:

http://www.prorockgear.com/tremoloarmhousingh.aspx

That's the only place I've ever seen them without a bar, and I'm wondering if they're just splitting up arm/socket sets or parting out whole trems.
            Highly likely that they´re either splitting up matched Schaller sets or selling Import collars.

In a thread about loose trem bars awhile back, Zerberus (who used to work at Schaller) said that the way they are manufactured, they are supposed to stay together as a matched set in order to have the least amount of play.
            This is correct, Schaller has a bin of arms and collars "ready to go" and individually matches the arms to a collar by hand to ensure best possible tolerances. These are then sent as a set either to the Floyd Rose production ares or to the bagging area.

Side note, one of the ways to tell that you´ve truly got a Schaller product in the baggie and not a repackaged import arm is to check if the arm and collar are screwed together or loose. The only time Schaller unscrews a Floyd arm from the collar is on a completed Floyd that´s being packed up in a box for shipping. Replacement arm+collar sets are essentially "screw in new collar with arm pre-mounted and rock out" 5 minute jobs

BTW, I´m not sure when I was supposed to have actually worked at Schaller, but I do know the guys well and have for over a decade.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
              It should still work fine like that, but you can buy a new bar with that assembly housing. I've never seen them sold separately.
              http://www.stewmac.com/shop/Bridges,...g_Tremolo.html
              Hey man, do you know if that would fit a JT6? I have one with a broken collar...

Comment

Lots of people put OFR bars on JT-6 trems. You have to do a slight mod to the baseplate to make it fit. After removing the socket (collet, bushing, whatever) from the JT-6, you'll have a threaded hole in the baseplate that is slightly too small for the OFR socket. You enlarge it just enough to accept the new socket, which means basically just removing the threads from the hole. It's extremely easy, because the metal is very soft. A rat tail file works well, or I've done it with the blade of a large screwdriver. The whole process takes about 5 minutes.
                Last edited by dg; 12-01-2009, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Cool, thanx for the tip

Comment

Originally posted by vitaming View Post
                    that, son, is what they call a "doo-hickey".

Comment

had i seen this earlier i woulda sent you one. next time i guess.

Comment

thanks! I got the part and it fit beautifully. Took less than 5 mins to change it out. Got a brand new whammy bar in the process. $20 on stew-mac.

Sam

Comment

Working...
                        X