No announcement yet.

Any thoughts on wall hangers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I can't see them having a negative impact on the guitar. Just make sure you screw it into a stud. The hangers I have came with drywall anchors. I would never trust those. I just used regular screws and they worked fine.
    "Dear Dr. Bill,
    I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
      I can't see them having a negative impact on the guitar. Just make sure you screw it into a stud. The hangers I have came with drywall anchors. I would never trust those. I just used regular screws and they worked fine.
      Most drywall anchors will be okay up to 50lbs.

So unless you're hanging a Les Paul you should be fine

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
        Most drywall anchors will be okay up to 50lbs.

So unless you're hanging a Les Paul you should be fine
        I have a seven string made of mahogany that weighs as much as most LPs. I mainly don't use them because I'm insecure and paranoid that they'll unhook.
        "Dear Dr. Bill,
        I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
          I have a seven string made of mahogany that weighs as much as most LPs. I mainly don't use them because I'm insecure and paranoid that they'll unhook.
          Yeah. Makes sense. I was paranoid about mine and I actually mounted a 1" thick board across an entire wall into the studs. Then purchased some extra long screws and screwed the guitar hangers into and through that board as well as the dry wall. It was pretty overkill.

I have two hanging now, mounted with drywall anchors. I periodically check them but they're pretty secure. It would take a lot of work/weight to rip the anchors out.

Comment

drywall anchors scare the hell out of me.

so do people who dont use coffee filters.
            "clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

i used industrial strength anchors from the hardwar store. the ones that the hangers came with didn't want to stay in the drywall where there was not a stud. so far, no problems.
              Widow - "We have songs"

http://jameslugo.com/johnewooteniv.shtml

http://ultimateguitarsound.com

Comment

You have to be careful of calling theories "old wives tales" and "myths" without full knowledge of the facts! There are many (probably the majority) who will have never experienced any problems from displaying guitars on hangers and stands and they are lucky enough to have the comfort of a stable atmosphere. Personally as a professional luthier of 20years, I can tell you that a month never passes where I don't see at least half a dozen guitars which have been affected by such storage. This ranges from simple corrosion of strings or more seriously, corroded trem parts, to fretboard shrinkage, warped necks, sun damage, drying-out of woods, swelling of woods... And for acoustic guitars it's worse!
                This is all due to local changes in atmospheric conditions, temperature changes, general humidity etc. Everytime you open the door, every morning when the heating kicks in, everytime the sun shines through the window the guitar expands and contracts very slightly.... That's why, if you want to be safe, keep it in a case. Yes you will hear that someone kept his guitars on hooks for 20 years with no problems and that's fine, but I left a Kramer neck outside the workshop through five winters and summers... It was a bit cruddy... but straight!!! But I still wouldn't recommend it!
                P.s. I VERY much doubt that the weight of the guitar on the hanger would have ANYTHING to do with it.
                Cheers, Simon Jones
                SGLGuitars.co.UK

Comment

FYI... I have put mine back on the hangers... 2 hours now and still no problems...
                  Hardware: all black, all the time.

Comment

Originally posted by Charlz View Post
                    FYI... I have put mine back on the hangers... 2 hours now and still no problems...
                    :ROTF:

That was beautiful.
                    GTWGITS! - RacerX

Comment

Originally posted by Charlz View Post
                      Hehe!!

Comment

Working...
                      X