No announcement yet.

Tonezone vs. JB

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I have a Full Shred in the neck of my WR1 and its paired with a BKP Painkiller in the bridge.
    I realy want a painkiller but i dont have the cash flow to drop 200 on a pickup.

Comment

I had a Full Shred in a Rhoads before and yanked it out very quickly. It just sounded too weak to me. The JB is fine and sounds better in some guitars than others. The Tone Zone is a current favorite of mine. The only thing about the TZ I'm not thrilled about is that the low E sounds too flubby especially for cleans. As far as the BK Painkiller, I just picked up a used one from the classifieds to try out. Heard lots of good things about all the BK pickups but never played one myself yet.
      Rudy
      www.metalinc.net

Comment

Originally posted by roodyrocker View Post
        I had a Full Shred in a Rhoads before and yanked it out very quickly. It just sounded too weak to me. The JB is fine and sounds better in some guitars than others. The Tone Zone is a current favorite of mine. The only thing about the TZ I'm not thrilled about is that the low E sounds too flubby especially for cleans. As far as the BK Painkiller, I just picked up a used one from the classifieds to try out. Heard lots of good things about all the BK pickups but never played one myself yet.
        You will absolutely love it.
        I wouldnt use a full shred in the bridge either but try one in the neck. Absolutely smokes.

I agree about the Tone Zone too with regards to the Low E. Its a minor quibble and I've managed to EQ it out mostly in the presets for my guitars that have Tone Zones.
        All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazrim View Post
          You will absolutely love it.
          I wouldnt use a full shred in the bridge either but try one in the neck. Absolutely smokes.

I agree about the Tone Zone too with regards to the Low E. Its a minor quibble and I've managed to EQ it out mostly in the presets for my guitars that have Tone Zones.
          Yes, I've worked around the low E thing with the Tone Zone as well. With regards to the Full Shred I meant it was weak as a bridge pickup as well. Its fine for the neck position. Now I just need to figure out which of my Jacksons will be recieving the BK Painkiller
          Rudy
          www.metalinc.net

Comment

If you still have the Full Shred, try and pair it up with the Painkiller. They work so well together you'd think they were calibrated. A very happy accident.

As which of your stupidly large and superb guitar collection you should choose, I cant help you there.
            Your favourite?
            All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

The JB is a good pup, but if I had to choose between the two, the ToneZone would get my vote. I love the TZ in my SDIII, but then it's a completely different wood.
              Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

i've never been a fan of the jb so tonezone would be my vote.

Comment

I don't care much for the JB. Very few guitars sound right with it. So, yeah, I'd try something else in a DK2.

I haven't specifically tried it in a DK2 but I am really liking the Tone Zone in the bridge of my Charvel Strat, it's great for heavy riffing, hard rock, thrash, whatever. Great, tight bass and none of that low-midrange "twang" and a clear but not harsh high-end.

Thinking about throwing one in one of my SL1's.

Comment

Originally posted by Mazrim View Post
                    If you still have the Full Shred, try and pair it up with the Painkiller. They work so well together you'd think they were calibrated. A very happy accident.

As which of your stupidly large and superb guitar collection you should choose, I cant help you there.
                    Your favourite?
                    I sold off the Full Shred to a fellow JCFer long ago. I'm thinking I'll probably put the Painkiller in one of my Rhoads' since I'm happy with my current gigging Soloist which has a Tone Zone
                    Rudy
                    www.metalinc.net

Comment

Guys, remember I'm talking about a Full Shred in a mahogany (burst, not painted alder) body string through 750XL.

Another thing that makes the bridge pickup in this guitar VERY fat is tha fact that the bridge pickup is far away from the bridge, probably twice as far as a regular guitar.

I think this combination gives the Full Shred the meat it needs to work with. Also, the 750XL is a short scale which fattens up the tone.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        Holy shit this thing is BRUTAL! Perfect nails Metallica for Kill em All, L, RTL, and MOP. Playing stuff from Kill em All on this thing is especially fun! The chunky tightness is killer.
                        Getting back to this post, my BL USA loaded RR1 with the L500XL smoked the Full Shred for playing old school Metallica.

The 750XL with Full Shred still sounds good, but the BL USA pickups just take things to a whole nother level of BRUTAL!

Comment

Originally posted by Endrik View Post
                          never had problems with JB, very easy to get the sound of Lynch or Warren D.

Ah, that might help to explain why I don't like the JB - never liked Dorken and wasn't a big fan of Ratt
                          I want to depart this world the same way I arrived; screaming and covered in someone else's blood

The most human thing we can do is comfort the afflicted and afflict the comfortable.

My Blog: http://newcenstein.com

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                            never liked Dorken
                            hey hey now...

Comment

Originally posted by Newc View Post
                              Ah, that might help to explain why I don't like the JB - never liked Dorken and wasn't a big fan of Ratt
                              Your being a dick again newc.

"clean sounds are for pussies" - Axewielder

Comment

I've heard some JB's sound fucking great, and I've heard some that sound fucking terrible. So terrible that I've never bought one because I didn't want to risk getting a "bad one".

I had a Tone Zone in a guitar I had for a while, and I really loved it. I've been meaning to get another one because it's great for lead guitar. Was pretty Racer X and VH sounding.
                                Originally posted by horns666
                                The only thing I choke during sex is, my chicken..especially when I wanna glaze my wife's buns.

Comment

Working...
                                X