Bolt on vs Neck thru

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by bombtek View Post
    Mine are both Model series Charvels. One is a Model 3A and the other is a Model 5 FX.
    I think of them as cars when comparing them.

The 3 (bolt on), is the equivalent of a late 60's early 70's muscle car that has seen a whole lot of fun through its life. Not beat on just pushed, not fearing to get it dirty. Step on the gas hard and you're rewarded with unrestrained wheel spin from the raw power. Still as potent as the day it rolled out of the factory, just a fun car.

The 5 (neck through) is the equivalent of a modern high powered Lexus/Infinity/Mercedes/BMW or the like. A high level of refinement, as well as unquestionable power. Step on the fuel and you feel a linear power push the car just as hard as the old muscle car, just in a different more refined fashion. Again, fun as hell.

Two different animals accomplishing the same thing. Just feeling completely different doing it. Neither one better, just different.
    well said sir!
    The Truth Hurts Only If It's Supposed To !

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
      Example of claims that can be proven:

- Better upper fret access
      - Fewer neck pocket cracks
      - Allows for combination of different neck and body woods
      A major and proven advantage is the bolt-on can be replaced and the neck-trough can't.

Comment

Originally posted by DR5Guy View Post
        A major and proven advantage is the bolt-on can be replaced and the neck-trough can't.
        I guess I'm fortunate that this isn't a consideration for me - I've never broken the neck on a guitar, bolt-on or neckthrough.

I can confirm that I have fewer neck pocket cracks on neckthrough guitars, possibly on account of them not having neck pockets
        Hail yesterday

Comment

I love both. Horses for courses.

There are so many variables when it comes to construction. Bolt-on, set neck or Neck-thru will affect the over all sound of a guitar perhaps only as much as what woods its made from, which fretboard you choose, which bridge type you have and the electronics etc...

Its probably true that neck-thru construction will smooth the tone out more than bolt-on construction. Maybe take away a little high frequency. But then, if you prefer neck-thru construction and want to add higher frequency response you could have a maple fretboard or a maple cap or use different pups. Conversely, if you prefer bolt-on construction but want to warm the tone up have a rosewood fretboard and/or Mahogany body... etc.

I feel a typical Jackson USA construction offers the best of most worlds. Especially for rock guitars.
          Alder is a good mid to high-mid response tone wood, the maple neck running the length of the guitar adds brightness, the Ebony, whilst bright, smooths out the maple a little and the Neck thru construction overall warms it up just enough. Then you can alter the electronics to taste but the (typically) stock SDs tend to be a good match.

I find sustain to be more dependant on set up and electronics rather than what type of neck construction is used. You could have the best woods and appointments imaginable but if it has a lousy set up its pointless.

Anyway, regarding the orginal question. Dinky is a great guitar. I prefer Soloists but thats just my personal taste at the moment. I think neck-thru looks and feels better, sometimes sounds better but one isnt more relevant than the other. Again, horses for courses.
          All men play on 10. Never gonna turn down again.

Comment

I can sling either. What I prefer is based on, well, personal preference. Amazing how that works for (or against) me.

If I am going to buy a neck-through I prefer that the neck and body are made of the same material. Preferably mahogany. I find little to no advantages to having mahogany wings on a maple neck-through. I also do not like mounting my pickups into maple. I just do not prefer the results. Others like or love it. I have found that it's just not right for me. YMMV.

If the neck is maple I generally prefer to have a bolt-on or (not mentioned as an option) a set neck. My preference is to have the pickups mounted into mahogany, alder, poplar or (my last choice) basswood. Pickguard mounting is also not part of the thread topic but is a consideration for my selections.

There are exceptions to the rule for my preferences. If the guit sounds good then it doesn't really matter to me what type of neck or body it is made of. I once had a super strat style w/maple body, maple neck and maple fret board. The pickups were PG mounted. Didn't seem to matter which pickups I put in it as they all sounded very similar. And I did try quite a few in it over the years. The upside was that while they all sounded very similar, they also all sounded quite good. Only reason I flipped it was due to the weight. Everything I sling these days is on the lightweight side.

So, as a general rule for me, bolt-on or set neck unless it is mahogany/mahogany.
            In an insane world, only the sane seem crazy.

Comment

Originally posted by DR5Guy View Post
              A major and proven advantage of acoustic guitars is, if the world's supply of energy runs out, or in the event of total thermonuclear destruction, you will still be able to play your acoustic. Major advantage! Better trade your electrics in, boys!

Really, the ability to be fixed after a major mishap is not something I consider when purchasing a guitar. It's never been a concern for me. And aside from that, it's nearly impossible to get a new replacement neck for a DK1 that actually fits properly, and a pain in the ass to find a used 24-fret USA Jackson neck for a DK1 for a reasonable price.

Anyway, I really prefer neck-throughs to a regular-old "huge block of wood for the heel" style bolt-on 21 or 22-fret guitar (Strat) if it's a guitar I'd be playing a lot of lead on. I absolutely LOVE the Soloist for the ergonomics.

But, when you're talking about a DK1 or PC1 in comparison to a "Strat" you've got the neck moved away from the cutaway somewhat, and the contoured heel, and unless you're meedly-meedling away at the 24th fret a lot you've got a lot less difference in playability between the Soloist and the DK1/PC1.

So, to be honest I really prefer the Soloist to the DK1 but it's not as if the DK1 is terrible to play or isn't already a huge ergonomic improvement over the typical "Strat" bolt-on type of guitar, or even a big fat set neck Gibson.

Comment

I say just play the damn thing and see if "You" like it. Who gives a fuck what everyone else thinks its not them playing the guitar. No offense to anyone here who has stated thier "opinion"

Comment

Blitz nailed it on the head there.

Personally, there are some bolt-ons I wish I never sold, of note: a DXMG and DX10DFS. But I will always favour the overall feel of the painted neck on a USA Neckthru.
                  Last edited by wilkinsi; 09-19-2009, 08:57 AM. Reason: crap grammar
                  Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

well, I have a stratocaster which I love, I have no problems at all getting to the very highest fret, although it takes some getting used to.

it IS a welcome relief being able to slice through the highest frets though when I play my NT V's

Comment

I'm surprised that there isn't more of a strong bias towards NT's on the JCF, considering most of Jackson's USA models have NT construction and they are really known for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Axewielder View Post
                        I'm surprised that there isn't more of a strong bias towards NT's on the JCF, considering most of Jackson's USA models have NT construction and they are really known for that.
                        A - a lot of guys have import bolt-ons

B - Plenty of Charvel love
                        -------------------------
                        Blank yo!

Comment

The main thing for me is how it plays and sounds not if its NT or bolt-on.
                          Really? well screw Mark Twain.

Comment

Let's not forget about the increased sustain! :ROTF:
                            "Some days you're the dog, other days you're the hydrant." - on the back of the business card for Bella the Pomeranian

The comments expressed here do not necessarily reflect the opinions of management.

Comment

Even more so when you buy a Custom Shop piece!
                              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by stevoc View Post
                                Let's not forget about the increased mustain! :ROTF:
                                You get that on the KV1.
                                The only solution to GAS is DEATH...

Comment

Working...
                                X