Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My NAMM trip

Thursday

I got in around noon and drove up to Glendora to visit Lee at GMW Guitarworks (http://www.gmwguitars.com/). GMW is one of the best builders in the business. I have 4 custom ordered guitars already and got to see my latest GMW while I was there - it is finished other than waiting for Dimarzio to deliver the neck pickup. While I was there I went through his wood stash and picked out some absolutely stunning flamed redwood that I'm going to have him build an archtop 7-string from. Lee took me and Ian (YouThinkYourFish) out to lunch - it was a fantastic afternoon!

Friday

I got there early and headed straight to the Fender section. The CS stuff was cool but came with way high price tags. The road worn models looked OK - still not sure about these. I completely forgot to check out the new MIM Blackmore Strat - D'oh.

I checked out the Jackson/Charvel guitars. Again some cool stuff but the Custom Shop prices were outrageous.

I ran into Custom Shop artist extraordinaire Mike Learn and talked jazz guitars - always cool to hang with Mike.

Then I hit the main floor.

I played around with the TC Electronic G-Natural - this is a fantastic sounding unit for acoustic guitars - this one goes on the wish list as does the new G-Major 2.

PRS was a zoo but they had some fantastic looking stuff as usual.

I spent some time playing a THD Flexi-50 - very nice amp, quite a versatile range of Marshall tones.

The Boogie Mk. 5 was there - looks impressive - didn't get a chance to try it.

Lunch Box amps were surprisingly cool - http://www.musicgadgets.net/2007/12/...ox-future-amp/

Ran into ~K~ and wife and the Tekkies - then I got sidetracked into the Suhr booth. Suhr's stuff was amazing - they do such great work.

In the evening I attended Steve Vai's master class at the Slidebar in Fullerton. This was fantastic. I've been a huge fan of his since his days with Zappa. He was charming, entertaining, insightful, and just plain fun. This was a fantastic way to spend three hours.

I left the Slidebar and picked up Ron (RacerX) and we went to see a friend of his perform. Unfortunately it was a very bad rap band. Eeek. We went back to his place and cranked some guitars.

Saturday

This day was all about the Deke Dickerson Guitar Geek show. I was there helping Jennifer Batten. I had never heard of Deke or the Guitar Geeks before. It was a great time. There were some great players, great music, and great guitars. Jennifer kicked ass as usual. Guitar Zack was smokin'. Deke was great - he did a set of "Gilligan Guitar" that was a blast. The Rickenbacker Bakelite set was fantastic!

Now for the cool surprise for the night. As it turns out, Jennifer knows Fender Custom Shop legend Fred Stuart very well so he was there. I had a great time talking to Fred - what a gracious and knowledgeable dude! He had some great stories and shared some of his thoughts on building guitars.

This was a fantastic day! BTW, if you were there I was the big guy with big glowing skull shiirt

Sunday

I wanted to get to the show early. Heh.

I went straight to Bogner to try out the Duende Seco Mojado. This is a BRILLIANT amplifier. It starts as a standard Duende 1x12 combo. Then it adds an additional Duende power amp and 2 Weber 8" speakers. By default the second amp is fed just the reverb signal. So your guitar tone comes out dry from the 12" and the side speakers push out the "wet" reverb. This is a huge and clear sound. You can also feed the second power amp the full signal so it sounds like a wide 2x12 combo. You can also use the effects loop to feed the second power amp rather than reverb - I tested it with an MXR Carbon Copy and it was fantastic. They are also releasing just that secondary power amp as a head and 1x12 combo. This is fantastic stuff.

Egnator is introducing a couple more models in their import line - these are really great sounding amps. But the Egnator modular amps are in a whole other league. This system is fantastic. The modules are so versatile and sound so great. Bruce Egnater was very cool - he started using me and Eric (AlexL) to demo the amps for a half hour

Taylor guitars had a nice setup. I played a couple new custom shop guitars - man were they nice! I spent a bunch of time with the new T3 - this is a great guitar! It's the T5 body style but with a solid center block and it has a pair of humbuckers. You can get it with a Bigsby as well. They added a trem option to their standard electrics.
    I want REAL change. I want dead bodies littering the capitol.

- Newc

Cool story, thanks for sharing! Got pics?
    http://www.myspace.com/officialuncreation

Comment

I took a few pictures, haven't looked at them yet.

- Newc

Comment

Sounds like a killer time Tim! Thanks for sharing...

Comment

Originally posted by hippietim View Post
          Thursday I completely forgot to check out the new MIM Blackmore Strat - D'oh.
          Ask and ye shall receive...

Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

By check out I meant play. Thanks for the pic!

- Newc

Comment

Actually, the highlight of the show for Tim was seeing Verdine White from Earth, Wind, and Fire in the Fender booth!

- E.
              Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

First im green with envy... VaI, AND Jennifer, And Lee ??
                Man, i need to go with you next year!! (buying a few axes off
                of Tim, should get my foot in the door? :ROTF:

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL View Post
                  Actually, the highlight of the show for Tim was seeing Verdine White from Earth, Wind, and Fire in the Fender booth!

- E.
                  Possibly the only 8 foot tall person I've met that weighs 80 pounds...3/4 of which is hair...:ROTF:
                  Crime doesn't pay. Neither does lutherie...

Comment

Originally posted by AlexL View Post

- E.
                    Verdine rules. I saw Earth, Wind, and Fire in concert last summer - they totally kicked ass. Phillip Bailey still hits high notes that are unbelievable.

- Newc

Comment

Sounds like an awesome weekend!

Comment

Tim, re the Vai masterclass...how much was it? How did you hear about it? Details, please. Wish I'd heard of that, I would have tried to attend.

Comment

Originally posted by btx109 View Post
                          Tim, re the Vai masterclass...how much was it? How did you hear about it? Details, please. Wish I'd heard of that, I would have tried to attend.
                          It was in the regular e-mail that you get if you sign up at vai.com for e-mail news. I'm a Vai fanboy so I've been getting the e-mails for years. Also, it was on the vai.com homepage as well. It cost around $300 and lasted about 3.5 hours. He drew out of a hat to pick folks to come up and jam with him - unfortunately I didn't get picked (but fortunate for those in attendance ).

- Newc

Comment

Thanks for the story and pics! Sounds like a great time.

MIM Blackmore? I guess I'll have to build my own USA version. Nothing against MIM guitars, just thought it was more fitting to build it to his 70's original. Hmm, parts donors here I come.
                            Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                            X