No New Models.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by pott View Post
    Playability doesn't make a guitar. Playability is for the most adjustable. Accoustic sound isn't. For me THAT's the difference. Same for build quality. The Xiphos may be a good guitar if it's well setup, but every guitar SHOULD be well setup. Not just US ones. What extra you SHOULD get with more expensive (regardless of country of origin) guitars should be overall timber quality and build quality, as well as more pushed R&D. Setup can always be altered later.
    Xiphos...Mah body-5 pc maple/walnut neck thru with DiMarzio pups...under 1000 with a case. So far...if a neck adjustment is all I need...its worth it. Frets level....yup! I set my action as low as possible so...anything out of whack is going to buzz....nothing.

I received a custom shop XTRR right from Jackson...It needed some adjustments too...Not much but for my needs it did. Guitars shipped from another climate are probably going to require some sort of adjustment so...

Acoustic sound is important??? Why? Do you mic you electric guitars without plugging into an amp? I have an LP that sounds awesome unplugged....But it doesn't sound like that coming out of my amp....lol I know a lot of people go on that...I'm just ribbing...But at the same time...It makes little diff and is not a good way to judge a guitar...as long as we are talking tone and not things like sustain.

Playability: is the neck profile right for me? Is the radius right for me? Fret size? Body comfort? balance? These things can not be changed eisily or at all...so...
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-6M4lm9Ahz0

Comment

If a guitar sounds like ass unamplified, chances are it will sound like ass amplified.

If a guitar sounds amazing unamplified, a good player/electronics setup/amp will make it sound amazing amplified. As simple as that.

A bad player could make anything sound horrible, I know I do

These things can't be changed, true. But that's the subjective part. You can change everything relative to string height, relief, nut height/material, saddle types...

A guitar that doesn't play well is NOT the same as a guitar that's not what you prefer. I make the difference in that a guitar that even wouldn't be for you can be setup to play very well, though you still wouldn't like it as much.

Comment

Disagree with the `only one line of boltons` alot of peeps go foboltons for their modability. Theres also a thread in the artistssection (i think) about bolt on sig models, where alot of peeps expressa preference for boltons over neck thrus.
        Yeah, sure but :
        1) afaik Jackson doesn't have a standard size for neck pockets
        2) why on earth won't they make an all-access type neck joint is just beyond my understanding (It's not that you can't play on the one with the neckplate - hell you can be a shred god on a strat just like Yngwie/Impellitteri/Stump prove to us but it shouldn't be a biggie and it's simply easier to play on a such thing + imho it looks better

If you cant tell the jap fretwork from korean look closer or get more experience.
        Well regarding fretwork - I've seen some really good fretworks done in both countries - it's not dependant on the country of origin - all that matters to me is that the guitar has to intonate correctly (of course if a correct setup is provided) - so that the frets are put in the correct places on the neck with minimal tolerances.

Acoustic sound is important??? Why? Do you mic you electric guitars without plugging into an amp?
        Imho it's one of the most important things i look for in my guitar.

You can get a good sounding guitar with mediocre setup to sound great with the correct choice of pickups and the action/setup can be easily adjusted but if you'll get a harmonically dead wood then even with the best pickups it'll like sh..

Believe me - I've seen guitars that just HAD TO sound good - NTB construction, top of the line woods, top of the line pickups and when i plug them in I think - hmm , kinda quiet and dead - then i check it unplugged and the body and the neck doesn't resonate at all, you get no or very little harmonics unplugged etc.

About the fact that Jackson imports are MIJ not MIK - well , sure it's a nice thing but we have to remember that unlike ESP and Ibanez which originate from Japan, Jacksons top of the line is made in US which kinda puts the MIJ guitars in a second place and the goal is to rival with the "second lne" of their competitors (or the first line dependant on the view) - I'd guess that at least 90 percent of all revenue comes from the sold imports (be it LTD for ESP, MIK Schecters, MIK Ibanez, MIJ Jacksons)

If they'd increase the selection on MIJ guitars and would add some nice features (come on, what's the price difference on buying 1000 OFR units vs producing - as Takeuchi IIRC doesn't make 'em anymore - 1000 jt-580lp's ?)

We all know what features do Schecter/LTD/ even Ibanez right now offer.

Look at the LTD line - they do offer things like OFR's and ebony fretboards on neck through body guitars - yet they still have a custom shop and a standard line - Jackson ? nope - of course i have to admit that it's slowly getting better (offering duncans as standard pickups)

and an important issue (for me) BINDING...

No black on black binding -> It really adds some class - it doesn't have to be LTD's mop binding - looks bad imho - but some guitars really need it and not in the same colour as the fretboards of those guitars (RR24 hint, why does the SL3 have no binding etc)?

I don't know if those things are cost cutting or that the headquarters doesn't want to cut into the US made Jacksons sales but financially i'd say that they'd be better off offering more options on MIJ guitars.

Comment

I was really hoping that 2008 would bring some new Jackson imports. I'm still considering a WRMG, damn I wish they were neckthru, or at least used an all access neck joint w/ a painted neck.
          Looks like my next guitar will probably be a Xiphos or this BC Rich NT Deluxe JrV

Last edited by Deadlock; 02-02-2008, 09:43 PM.

Comment

I hope Jackson never gets like ESP, or Kramer from the 80's for that matter. Both have flooded the market with a bunch of shitty, mediocre guitars. ESP even moreso is a joke, as I could probably sell 5,000 records on iTunes and get a signature.

Comment

Then do it

Fact is, ESP shells out, and not just for random no-name guys, but they make the smart choices as to who's a rising star, and pin them down early, and it sells them guitars. Jackson are cheap.

Comment

Originally posted by CharvelRocker View Post
                I hope Jackson never gets like ESP, or Kramer from the 80's for that matter. Both have flooded the market with a bunch of shitty, mediocre guitars. ESP even moreso is a joke, as I could probably sell 5,000 records on iTunes and get a signature.
                +1

Comment

Working...
                X