Best in Show NAMM 2006

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Best in Show NAMM 2006

I'm going with Mike on this one, and not just because I consider him a friend.

I am always floored by his work. I am not into the whole skull and death themes (but you paint what people want to buy...), but his Biohazard Rhoads series, his recent Pinup girl designs, and his Airplane design with the original "Swastika kills" really impressed the hell out of me. And can anyone beat the realism of his flames?

I am sure both Mike and Dan would be a little embarassed by this thread; I think they are both humble artists (though I've never met Dan), who appreciate each other's work, and use it as motivation to push themselves on their next designs.

Mike will be painting a guitar for me in the future. Right now, the biggest decision is what the design will be...

- E.
    Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
      I abstain, because they both KICK ASS and are probably pushing each other (in a good way) to be more creative and killer with every guitar they do.

[/ QUOTE ]

I think we were both typing this at the same time, Ralph! You just hit send before me!

- E.

Comment

Mike's pinup girls are badass
        "There is nothing more fearful than imagination without taste" - Johann Wolfgang von Goethe

"To be stupid, selfish and have good health are three requirements for happiness, though if stupidity is lacking, all is lost" - Gustave Flaubert

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
          I'm going with Mike on this one, and not just because I consider him a friend.

I am always floored by his work. I am not into the whole skull and death themes (but you paint what people want to buy...), but his Biohazard Rhoads series, his recent Pinup girl designs, and his Airplane design with the original "Swastika kills" really impressed the hell out of me. And can anyone beat the realism of his flames?

I am sure both Mike and Dan would be a little embarassed by this thread; I think they are both humble artists (though I've never met Dan), who appreciate each other's work, and use it as motivation to push themselves on their next designs.

Mike will be painting a guitar for me in the future. Right now, the biggest decision is what the design will be...

- E.

[/ QUOTE ]

This isn't a who do you like more as a person thread. you guys stop being so PC. It's a who painted the baddest ass graphic guitar at NAMM Thread, that's it.

I have stuff painted fron Dan, and Mike is painting a guitar for me soon, if not already. I have had contact with both guys, and both are very nice and helpfull.

I agree with Ralph, if you read "my NAMM pics" thread about bringing on Mike has really semmed to bring out the best in both of them.

Like I said for me that Kelly Samurai was just awesome, don't like that guitar shape, but that graphic makes me want that guitar.
          Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

If that's the case, then my favourite graphic at NAMM is the Eldred HRF or the Warren D Swords / French, so my vote goes for Dan or whoever painted the HRF....
            Popular is not the same as good
            Rare is not the same as valuable
            Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
              If that's the case, then my favourite graphic at NAMM is the Eldred HRF or the Warren D Swords / French, so my vote goes for Dan or whoever painted the HRF....

[/ QUOTE ]

Well that's alittle better, but come on that stuff is standard. I'ts been done a million times to the point where it's probably a stencil [img]/images/graemlins/wink.gif[/img].

I'm talking original new stuff.
              Come and get one in the yarbles, if you have any yarbles, you yunick jelly thou!

Comment

Sorry, don't really like any of the one-offs [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                Popular is not the same as good
                Rare is not the same as valuable
                Worth is what someone will pay, not what you want to get

Comment

Ralph I think you said it best....

Fish, Fish, Fish

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                    Mike has super skills, incredible hand. He is doing stuff wich probably appeal more for younger players, I do find some of his graphics really amazing but I just don't dig the whole skull, gothic, dark, etc. thing.

I like Dan's oldschool stuff the most.

[/ QUOTE ]

I have to agree! But I voted for Mike. I may not like some of his stuff but I think his paintings are much more skillful if that's the right word [img]/images/graemlins/laugh.gif[/img]
                    Check my bands!
                    www.myspace.com/magicktr
                    www.myspace.com/sinif64
                    www.myspace.com/dementiatr

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                      This isn't a who do you like more as a person thread. you guys stop being so PC.

[/ QUOTE ]

Relax. I was saying that my decision wasn't biased. And believe me, I am far from PC.

- E.

Comment

I think Dan wins this round, which kills me to say because Mike is awesome and is such a cool dude here on the JCF. The reasons are 2. The samurai colored pencil Kelly is utterly amazing. My brother is an artist so I can appreciate how incredible that work is. The other one is the ghost flame quilt guitar. Which I believe was painted by Dan. Several of Mike's designs I really like this year. The celtic, the dragon skull and the pinup are awesome. The one I like least out of all the graphic guitars is the X Kelly. Its just too busy. Skittle vomit as someone so eloquently said. And I'm not sure why that is cause I usually like full body designs. THe Koi, the recent ones that went to DCGL, I liked all those, but the Dogs of War is just to much. Part of the problem is the painted fretboard I think.

Comment

None of these replies have anything to do with being PC. I'd say the tone of some of the replies, mine included, is diplomatic, if anything.

Mike & Dan are both very gifted artists. Vote for Pedro.
                          Tarbaby Fraser.

Comment

Dan is the reason why I have any graphic guitars. Nuff said!
                            "I''ll say what I'm gonna say, cuz I'm going to Hell anyway!"

Comment

[ QUOTE ]
                              I voted Dan for bringing back the classics this year.

I think Mike is flat out amazing, his skill is unparalleled.

But, I have a soft spot for Dan this year.

Mike

[/ QUOTE ]

+1 I agree. They seem to be out doing themselves as time goes by. Even with the Retro stuff! [img]/images/graemlins/cool.gif[/img]
                              Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Working...
                              X