Thinkin I want an AT-1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thinkin I want an AT-1

Have me some good metal and shreddin axes and I am starting to think I may want something a little different, but not too different. Any suggestions on where to locate one seems I havent been able to thus far.

Pros and cons of the at-1 vs the AT2 I know one is import etc. Anything to look out for. I have read a bunch of posts and know about the intonation issues but anything else?

Thanks!
    Haters gonna hate
    Dilluting the brand one MUTT at a time.

I took an AT1 (with the Wilkinson bridge) home for a test run a while back, but didn´t end up buying it. It was gorgeous to look at, with the thick maple top and ebony board, but the neck was pretty weird to me; quite thick and rounded with tiny frets. Normally thick necks don´t bother me, but with the small frets on there it just didn´t feel right. This was one of the earliest, and I hear that they made changes to both neck and body later in the run.

A pro was that even though it had the much-lamented Armstrong pickups, it actually sounded pretty meaty in a classic way. With better pickups it would probably sound awesome.

All in all, for twin-humbucker applications I still go to my 750XL.

Comment

I previously owned an import AT2T and currently have a USA AT1. As I mentioned in another thread, the intonation is off ever so slightly on mine due to the bridge placement being a millimeter off, but it is so minor as to be inconsequential. It is a beautiful guitar, and although the neck is different from my other Jacksons, it is far from uncomfortable. I didn't buy it to be a shredder or to sound like a "standard" Jackson. Being very familiar with Kent Armstrong pickups (JVA-1s in the ATs, JP-10/11s in my SL2 and old RR2) I don't expect them to sound like Duncans, and they don't, but they again are different in a way that you may or may not like. The JVA-1 in the neck is AMAZING for cleans, but I don't feel that the bridge pickup makes the most of the mahogany body and thick maple top.

My AT1 is not a light guitar, but being the only Jackson I've ever owned that has a proper maple top instead of veneer, I can live with the extra weight. Neck scale and bridge aside, I have no doubt that it could nail the traditional Gibson tone with the right pickups.

sigpic

Comment

http://www.chrisguitars.com/
        Chris posted one yesterday.

Comment

I love my AT1. The frets remind me of the San Dimas Rhoads frets.

EJ

Comment

beautiful tops, headstock kinda different, (although not a smurf hat)
            jackson pc-1 chameleon
            charvel model 4
            prs ce-24 emerald green
            ltd gl 600ss skulls and sword
            jackson rr ps 3t
            ibanez rg 770 lazer red
            engl thunder 50
            ibanez rg 565
            mesa boogie dc-5 head

Comment

Working...
            X