SL2H-MAHQ vs Alder with maple top

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Rupe View Post

Builders like Anderson and Suhr typically use it with a maple top when combined with a trem due to the fact that it is rather soft...Floyd posts have been known to "crush" the wood in front of them or even pull out of the guitar.
    Agreed, the maple definitely helps with stability, but probably the primary reason is that it extends the tonal range of the basswood and makes it better.
    GM,
    www.aftershok.com

Comment

Originally posted by HiOctane View Post
      Agreed, the maple definitely helps with stability, but probably the primary reason is that it extends the tonal range of the basswood and makes it better.
      "Better" is subjective...it would enhance the highs which would make it different, but not necessarily better, depending on the application. I'm fairly confident that I have heard it is done more for stability and appearance than for any tonal considerations.

Comment

Floyd posts have been known to "crush" the wood in front of them or even pull out of the guitar.
        I think that's why Jackson used the oversized bushings with basswood guitars.

Comment

Originally posted by Mickey_C View Post
          While we're on the topic of Jackson tonewoods... do they make a basswood model?

I know that basswood is considered cheap by many us companies, but it's a musical wood that's been used in the frankenstein creations of a number of legendary guitarists.

Best of all... it's lightweight!

My Ibanez RG's and PGM's are basswood and they actually sound "thicker" than some of my Alder Jacksons. I will always pick basswood over Alder and Mahogany if I have a choice.

Based on my experience I don't think a Mahogany J/C will get you Les Paul tone. Oddly enough the Alder guitar I have that comes closest to a thick LP tone is my $900 Production Tele Model (Style 2). That Tele body has a nice chunk of wood.
          Last edited by Big D; 02-26-2009, 12:12 PM.

Comment

My 750xl didn't sound like a Les Paul, regardless of the similarities in specifications. I agree that a Soloist sounds like nothing but a Soloist. It's a very distinctive sound of its own.

Comment

Originally posted by pro-fusion View Post
              My 750xl didn't sound like a Les Paul, regardless of the similarities in specifications.
              I didn't see a post that said it did.

Comment

"Better" is subjective...it would enhance the highs which would make it different, but not necessarily better, depending on the application. I'm fairly confident that I have heard it is done more for stability and appearance than for any tonal considerations.
                OK, I stand corrected, "better" probably falls under the realm of opinion...but the rule of thumb is that maple on basswood extends both the highs and lows a bit. And while I think the stability is a definite benefit, I have not heard that is the main reason it is used. Lots of companies offer basswood guitars without the maple top, and the high-end builders that I am familiar with always talk about the sonic advantages, even though they offer their models in basswood without the maple top.
                GM,
                www.aftershok.com

Comment

You also gotts to gets the Les Paul pickups too. Nothing sounds like a Les Paul except a Les Paul. But for that matter, not every Les Paul is going to sound the same either. I went through probably 15 Les Pauls till I found my baby, and it ended up being a studio.

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                    I didn't see a post that said it did.
                    I didn't mean any malice in my post, but simply to clarify that a 750xl is it's own thing, not a "Charvel Les Paul."

Comment

Working...
                    X