Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Wow! Installed the Brass Big Block in my Chlorine PC1!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Wow! Installed the Brass Big Block in my Chlorine PC1!

Holy shit is this worth every penny!!!!!

I ordered the Brass Big Block from www.floydupgrades.com and it arrived today. It literally took less than 15 minutes to install and the difference is bloody unbelievable to say the least!

Even before I plugged the guitar in there was a noticeable difference in tone. Now while I do not claim to have the ears of say Steve Vai or Phil Collen, there was no disputing the difference straight away.

Notes just rang out clearer and the sustain was more pronounced as well.

Plugged in was even better!!

This is my absolute must upgrade for all my other PC1's and any other Floyd equiped guitars.

I can not stress how much of a difference this brass block made and it was just $39.95!

A word to the wise though. I ordered the "L" shaped block to take advantage of the extra brass. This does somewhat limit the trem's travel unlike the standard brass block. Or else be prepared to whip out the Dremel and shave away a little off one side.

Trust me folks. A VERY worthwhile bang for your buck when it comes to Floyd bridges!!!!

Last edited by vklobucar; 01-23-2009, 06:21 PM.

So youd recommend not getting the L block if your not willing to shave some of it off?
    Marshall JCM800 2203
    G12K-100w Cabinet
    Jackson RR24

Comment

It almost looks as if the L-shaped part would turn the bridge into a dive-only bridge, which would work very well for me. I think I'll wait till I add an OFR to my Jackson before I get one of those.
      "Dear Dr. Bill,
      I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

I've got the titanium block from them. I've just been too lazy to install it. Looks like I might need to get off my rear and do it if it makes that much of a difference.

Comment

The "L" type does indeed need some wood shaved off one side in order to restore more movement.

The standard block would not require this modification.

Comment

I wished I'd see that big of a difference. I went from a 32mm to a 37mm big block (not L) and I really didn't notice much change. This SL2H aready sounded great.

I sleep better at night knowing it's in there. That's all.

Comment

Ya know at some point somebody is going to have to record some before-and-after mpg's playing the same riffs on the same rig. Yes, I'm talking a double-blind test here.

Comment

vklobucar- Good move brother, I installed one in my King V a year ago. It took me about an hour and I couldn't believe how much it improved every aspect of the sound. A big block is a "must have" for any axe with a Floyd.

Comment

There's a whole lot of spring action going on in there!! I got the Floyd stopper from Floyd upgrades which works great. But he was talking to me about this block. Sounds like I might have to try it.
                  "You have a pud..your wife has a face. Next time she bitches..I'd play cock bongos on her cheeks..all four of them!" - Bill Z.
                  I just just had a sudden urge to sugga dick..! If I wore that guitar and didn't suck male genitalia..somethin' is very wrong! - Bill Z.

Comment

"There's a whole lot of spring action going on in there!!'

That PC1 is strung with GHS 12-52 and tuned down a step hence the 5 springs. My other two PC1's are 11-50 at E

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
                      Wow! Installed the Brass Big Block in my Chlorine PC1!
                      can we get a look at the finish?
                      198? Charvel Model 2B s/n 245085
                      1987 Charvel Model 6 s/n C707218
                      2001 SL2H Black Pearl s/n U09404
                      2006 SL2HT Burnt Cherry Sunburst s/n U18151
                      2008 USA C/S Soloist Soft Arch Carved Top Tiger Eye JA0510
                      2009 Adrian Smith Dinky s/n 006666 (Ebony Fretboard)
                      2009 Adrian Smith Dinky s/n 007066 (Maple Freboard)

Comment

Originally posted by DonP View Post
                        I wished I'd see that big of a difference. I went from a 32mm to a 37mm big block (not L) and I really didn't notice much change. This SL2H aready sounded great.

I sleep better at night knowing it's in there. That's all.
                        i'm not looking to block off, but it looks like a great product to boost sustain. do the sustain models limit the floating effect, and do the bigger blocks restrict floating more than the small ones?

thanks!

Comment

"Do the sustain models limit the floating effect?"

As a general rule no but it really depends on the route of your trem cavity. Some are more generous than others.

"Do the bigger blocks?"

Yes

Comment

BTW just exchanged a few emails with Adam Reiver of www.floydupgrades.com

Very cool and extremely knowledgeable fellow.

He mentioned that they had recently installed a Brass Big Block in Phil's Bela guitar.

Keep in mind that while this old Jackson was pulled out and played live now and again, it was all done for the fans as its tone was rather dull shall we say.

This was in no small part to a "lesser quality" Floyd bridge. Once Adam swapped that unit out for an Original Floyd Rose WITH the Brass Big Block upgrade the tone was pronounced, alive and very much to Phil's liking!

Comment

Originally posted by vklobucar View Post
                              "Do the sustain models limit the floating effect?"

As a general rule no but it really depends on the route of your trem cavity. Some are more generous than others.

"Do the bigger blocks?"

Yes
                              thanks for the tip; i think that i want to try one in my sl2h. would you start with the smallest one and go from there?

Comment

Working...
                              X