SL2H vs. DK1 body size/weight

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

hmm...

i played in a death metal band with a bass player who's brother had a 90's professional series dinky reverse headstock *not sure of the exact model*. i had it at the house for about a week, just to set it up for him and to check it out, and it just didn't seem as solid as my 6 or soloists.

i don't know, there's just something about the feel of one continuous neck that traverses the entire length of the guitar...
    198? Charvel Model 2B s/n 245085
    1987 Charvel Model 6 s/n C707218
    2001 SL2H Black Pearl s/n U09404
    2006 SL2HT Burnt Cherry Sunburst s/n U18151
    2008 USA C/S Soloist Soft Arch Carved Top Tiger Eye JA0510
    2009 Adrian Smith Dinky s/n 006666 (Ebony Fretboard)
    2009 Adrian Smith Dinky s/n 007066 (Maple Freboard)

Comment

Originally posted by laihojrxo View Post
      well, there's a reason why a neckthrough guitars are more expensive than most bolt ons one; they're supposed to be better than bolt ons guitars.
      No, neck-thru guitars are typically more expensive because it takes more work to make them. And better is a subjective term. There's plenty of bolt-on guitars that can sustain just as much as neck-thru or set-neck guitars.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Thanks Toejam. I feel better now . I actually saw an ebay shop selling two Yellow Bengal guitars - an SL1 and DK1, and they're priced identically. So if I do decide to sell/trade, I still stand a chance of getting a decent amount towards another USA. Yep, the DK1 can sustain just as good. I actually found it a little easier to shred fast on the DK1 than the WR1, though the binding, being not as generous, was less confortable. That said, Fender did level out the dots on the binding last week, maybe that's what makes the binding feel sharp. I may keep this DK1 after all.
        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

My experience after having owned just about 30 different guitars over the past 10 years and trying out yet an onknown number in musicstores is that the weight is totally individually and do differ even within same models....I belive that the ESP KH2 bolt-on I had a few years ago weight just as much as the two Jackson SL2H´s I have now...I have actually owned two ESP KH2 bolt-on´s over the years and they did sound different...

As for the tonal aspect....I would expect that the bolt-on DK1 have more bottom due to it having more alder wood than the SL1 but yet again nothing is completly sure when it comes to guitars...

Comment

Originally posted by P I K A View Post
            body sizes are the same but i think he meant if you put them side by side. I did that and the sl2h is about an inch or 2 longer.has something to do with where the necks meet the body. I've got rid of the sl2h but remember reaching more playing the e and f.
            thanks , that is what i meant

Comment

Originally posted by Foulacy View Post
              there are some damn nice bolt on's and I personally like bolt on's better than neck throughs for the sound of them. also the fact that most bolt on's have an unfinished neck.
              I completely agree Foulacy. I've had much better experiences tonally with bolt on's as opposed to neck-thrus. I have a SL2H Soloist (neck-thru) and a DK-1 (bolt on) which are almost the same exact guitar except for the bolt on/neck thru factor. My bolt on DK-1 sounds better. (not to mention my bolt on PC1's also sound better than my Soloist).

Comment

Working...
              X