How screwed am I?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

+2 what Toe said.

That headstock took quite a shock. From the looks of the paint fracture lines, it looks like the neck scarf joint is upset as well. Not good, as the scarf joint is very structurally strong to begin with.

What a Dweeb for shipping it without a properly padded box
    Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

Originally posted by Bengal65 View Post
      Indeed. Some people are just idiots. I once got a Kelly XLR off ebay, the guy wrapped one piece of duct tape around the case by the handle area, taped on a piece of carboard with my name and address, and that was it. I don't know if he couldn't find a box big enough for the Kelly cases or what the deal was, but luckily it arrived fine.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

+2 what Toe said.

That headstock took quite a shock. From the looks of the paint fracture lines, it looks like the neck scarf joint is upset as well. Not good, as the scarf joint is very structurally strong to begin with.

It looks like the scarf joint has come apart a little, to upset the paint like that. Looks repairable, but why should you have that pain, you paid for a mint guitar.

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          Indeed. Some people are just idiots. I once got a Kelly XLR off ebay, the guy wrapped one piece of duct tape around the case by the handle area, taped on a piece of carboard with my name and address, and that was it. I don't know if he couldn't find a box big enough for the Kelly cases or what the deal was, but luckily it arrived fine.
          Anytime I've ever shipped a guitar I always got a box from a local guitar shop, they have loads of them left over, and generally give them away.
          I also loosen the strings to take pressure off of the neck due to climate and weather changes during shipment.
          I've also taken the neck off to be safe if the buyer agrees with it.
          Some people have no clue....such as the 'case' here.
          'Howling in shadows
          Living in a lunar spell
          He finds his heaven
          Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

Well

Well..I must be an idiot, cause I've shipped 3 guitars just in their cases, and they arrived fine. I DID pack extra bubble wrap around the headstock, under the entire neck, and also at the base of the guitar, so it wouldn't move back and forth in the case. I also used non-stick tape and wrapped it around the case at all 3 release points, to prevent opening it up. I then shipped UPS.

I've also recieved 2 guitars like that as well..and no damage what so ever.

Comment

No offense meant, but I suppose there could be a right and wrong way in this method as you just described. Thats why I said initially about the sender not 'mummifying' it with packing tape.
              Some cases offer more movement and area to allow packing foam than others. My Jackson KV case is molded very tightly except for the headstock area, but in the end I'd rather be on the safe side. That's great that you've had good luck so far with that method.
              'Howling in shadows
              Living in a lunar spell
              He finds his heaven
              Spewing from the mouth of hell'

Comment

I had received 2 guitars just in the cases. One was fine and the other was chipped on the side of the body. I made $70 off the damaged one when I flipped it.:ROTF:
                Make the seller take it back. He should have put bubble rap around the headstock and it woudn't have been OK.

Comment

Originally posted by mustaine-who? View Post
                  I DID pack extra bubble wrap around the headstock, under the entire neck, and also at the base of the guitar,
                  you got lucky, because you may have overpacked it. if those guitars were pointy heads, you want to keep the headstock suspended in the case; you don't need to have bubble wrap around the headstock. pack the body tightly so that the guitar can't move in the case, and you'll be fine. if you wrap the headstock in bubble wrap so that it butts up against the top of the case, you may be asking for trouble.

+2 what Toe said.

i think that the scarf joint may be a little lower down the neck. don't be fooled, though, that neck has a crack in it. my LTD had similar (although worse) damage. it's not just the paint.

sorry man.

sully
                  Sully Guitars - Built by Rock & Roll
                  Sully Guitars on Facebook
                  Sully Guitars on Google+
                  Sully Guitars on Tumblr

Comment

Guess I was lucky too, because my WR1's headstock was covered in bubble wrap but that wasn't touching the end of the interior. I've seen a lot of pix where RR1's and Soloists' headstocks touch the ends without any bubblewrap. Are J/C making shorter cases nowadays?
                    Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
                      Well, at least in your case he taped the case shut unlike this guy. What the hell was he on?! I'm frankly surprised it came with the guitar still in the case. Get your $$ back.
                      "Your work is ingenius…it’s quality work….and there are simply too many notes…that’s all, just cut a few, and it’ll be perfect."

Comment

Sully is correct on the not wrapping the headstock. If the case takes a hit or falls over. The wood in the headstock would need to expel that energy created by the hit. If it cant vibrate to expel that energy the headstock will break usually clean off. The tighter the wrap of the headstock the worse the damage. Like a closed fist and a firecracker blowing your fingers off.
                        Gil

Comment

Effective packing also is dependant on the type of case, thermoplastic, wood or ATA etc, and the fit of the guitar within it. Dan Erlewine has a great packing section for guitars and amps in his book, "Guitar Player Repair Guide". I've received some vintage guitars through vintage dealers and they must have read Dan's book, because they were packed as Dan described. They were packed very well, I might add.
                          Tone is like Art: Your opinion is valid. Listen, learn, have fun, draw your own conclusions.

Comment

I had a very similar experience when I ordered a Dominion last year:

It came in a box like this (without a hardshell case):

and ended up with this:

I got it replaced no problem so it wasn't a big deal, but it fucking sucked opening up a guitar I was excited for and finding the neck cracked.
                            Last edited by TVTiZtiK; 09-30-2008, 04:27 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by TVTiZtiK View Post
                              I had a very similar experience when I ordered a Dominion last year:

It came in a box like this (without a hardshell case):
                              That's because it's an import model as opposed to USA, and imports don't usually come with cases. A lot of manufacturers do that, and it sucks how they just send them out like that. You'd figure they would put more packing material in the box, double box it or even thrown in some kind of gig bag, but most companies don't seem to care.
                              I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

I've talked to the post office. Everything will be refunded. I'm getting all my money back. The story got a haapy ending after all (Except I'm a Jackson short).
                                '08 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
                                '09 Jackson Custom Shop Soloist
                                '09 Fender Stratocaster American Deluxe Fatstrat
                                '12 Charvel ProMod SoCal Japan
                                '17 Gibson Les Paul Classic
                                '13 Gibson M-III
                                Taylor 214CE
                                Dean 6-string Bass
                                Morgan Ukulele

Comment

Working...
                                X