Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by DonP View Post
    Then just buy a used guitar

I have a Charvel Fusion Deluxe. Normally these go for up to $300. Mine has a chip in the front to the wood. It's relic'd now, so I'll sell it for $400
    It is a challenge to make a new looking guitar look old. I had a friend that wanted a SRV # 1 Clone & he aproached me because he had seen the guitars & Mandos I have built & wanted to know if I could take his Strat & convert it. I have to admit knocking the 1st big chip of paint off the body was hard to do but after you get passed that part it is a great way to get rid of all your frustrations. Plus the guitar was way cooler after it was finished as you can see.

http://http://viewmorepics.myspace.c...mageID=8220366

Comment

Holy Crap, it looks pretty sexy if you ask me... Now i should really go play Fallout, lol!
      Facebook - Youtube

Comment

I'm new here. It seems like a passionate meeting place for Charvel/Jackson fans. I'm glad to have found it.

As an introduction, I have played guitar as my sole means of financial support from 1964-1997. I have gotten back into playing very recently.

I came up through several periods of rock music. Many fads and fashions hold the stage. One thing is clear, in my opinion. Good gear is good gear.

I, personally, was a Gibson guy for many, many years. Les Paul guitars for the most part going back to 1966. I have owned a bunch of them. Most being 1954-1960. Occasionally I would buy a Fender "Nocaster", "Broadcaster", Tele or Strat as a 3 or 4 song guitar of choice, but the LP was the mainstay.

I never owned a Fender amp. For me it was either a genuine Vox, Rose Morris Marshall, non-master volume Hiwatt, and brief fling with Mesa Boogie, followed by a return to pre '65 Vox and a short lived Hiwatt 30 watt head that came forth in the mid '80's.

I bought Jackson neck throughs beginning in 1985. I had a Soloist Student and Soloist Custom from the "San Dimas" period. < It was a major personal move for a Gibson devotee >. I was told at the time that my Soloist Custom was the last neck-through built at the original plant. I don't really know if that is the case. It was #1001 and was an HSS, Ferrari Red painted piece, Kahler tailpiece purchased through Thoroghbred Music in Tampa.

My all time fave guitar for me.

That is considering many vintage Les Pauls, Korina Flying V's, Strats, No-Casters, etc. It's merely a personal preferance opinion.

The important thing to consider in a guitar is that it's just one guy's take on the deal. It's a guitar by guitar choice.

Grover really made a big stride which took the best from Gibson and Fender and took it a step beyond when he decided to build the Rhodes and subsequent guitars. His Soloist is the one for me...

Recently I have gotten the itch to have a Jackson again, as I sold off my original collection of a Student, Custom, and very early Archtop.

Happily I found an '88-'89 Soloist Custom which awaits some new pickups from England which I spec'ed to make it work for me. I could be more specific if the guitar had serial numbers, but as it was either a employee or endorsee guitar, there's no absolutes here. The axe will work for me, and that's the real point of my post. A no serial number Jackson... I have always been fortunate in finding guitars of interest.

Now pardon the long intro, if you will. There is an on-topic point to this...
        If a neck's radius, feel, or even "relic" look inspires some real music from your hands? BUY IT! It really doesn't matter what it takes to make the spark...

Inspiration comes as it comes and there is no valid or invalid set of parameters involved.

Bottom line advice I give is play it for awhile before you pull the trigger and purchase. Tarnishes or untarnished, torn up or pristine, a good one is a good one. As an example... I found a 1958 Cherry Sunburst Les Paul which was totally original, thin fret wire, spotless... I bought it for $300.00. It was an OK guitar for me. Had I taken a chain a beat the daylights out of it? It wouldn't have been worth a dollar more < acually less in the vintage market > and it would have still been and "OK" guitar regardless of condition. I have no doubt the guitar is now in Japan or hopefully, in the hands of someone that hears it "talking" to them. Either way I don't miss it. My 1st Jackson Soloist Student was a far better guitar after a pickup switch. My Soloist Custom was even bteer once I put in the stuff that did it for me.

1fastdog
        Last edited by 1fastdog; 09-17-2008, 01:47 PM.

Comment

Very nice post 1fastdog. It's an honor to have you here.
          Facebook - Youtube

Comment

Originally posted by kuerbo View Post
            Very nice post 1fastdog. It's an honor to have you here.
            Wow, what a very nice thing to say. I hope I can interject a thought or two that might help someone. I, like everyone here, has a taste for really special guitars.

At any rate, thanks for the welcome. I'll do my best to deserve it.

1fastdog

Comment

Originally posted by nsubulysses View Post
              true
              +2.
              Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by jacksonpc1 View Post
                It is a challenge to make a new looking guitar look old. I had a friend that wanted a SRV # 1 Clone & he aproached me because he had seen the guitars & Mandos I have built & wanted to know if I could take his Strat & convert it. I have to admit knocking the 1st big chip of paint off the body was hard to do but after you get passed that part it is a great way to get rid of all your frustrations. Plus the guitar was way cooler after it was finished as you can see.

viewmorepics.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=viewImage&friendID=293168391& albumID=845022&imageID=8220366
                Great "@·$%"!"ing job on that one
                '87 Kramer Stagemaster Custom
                '81 Kramer Pacer Standard
                custom made Les Paul
                VOX Tonelab LE
                Epiphone Valve Jr. moded!!!
                ADA MP1
                BBE 422A
                Lexicon MPX-G2
                ADA Microtube 100

AFFA
                Support Your Local 81

Comment

Yep! The title says it all.. It's a piece! That has got to be the ugliest Jackson I've ever seen in my life. I think the neon Jackson painted accross the body especially ugly.
                  Prosecutors will be violated...

Comment

Working...
                  X