Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Guitar Day: PC-1 Back in the Stable!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by AlexL View Post
    One thing I noticed; I am pretty sure that my "sears headstock" PC-1 had a flame maple neck, whereas this one has a flame maple fretboard and a regular maple neck. Has my memory failed me, or did Jackson change the neck construction? If so, when?
    The only neck construction changes they've done were:

- stopped using quilted maple for fretboards, switched to flamed maple. (Rumor has it quilt isn't as stable.)
    - swapped the headstock to stratheads.

The never used flamed maple necks. Nonetheless, every once in a while, a flamey-ish neck randomly comes out of the custom shop on a guitar - PC1s and others. You probably just got lucky with that old one.

Comment

Originally posted by shreddermon View Post
      Is it just me, or does it look like the headstock might be angled back like a pointyhead? Just an optical illusion in the pics? Or maybe that's the reason for no string retainer bar?
      It's all an illuuuuuuuuusion!

No, the headstock isn't angled.

I emailed Brian McDonald, and he got back to me right away and said that it should have the retainer bar. We're working out a plan to see what to do about it. If he can send me one, I'll install it. If he wants an authorized center to do it and we can find one locally, I'll do that. But I'm not going to send it anywhere. This guitar is PERFECT, and I don't want to risk shipping damage just to get a retainer bar added.

- E.
      Good Lord! The rod up that man's butt must have a rod up its butt!

Comment

The never used flamed maple necks. Nonetheless, every once in a while, a flamey-ish neck randomly comes out of the custom shop on a guitar - PC1s and others. You probably just got lucky with that old one.
        OK, thanks. Yeah, I'm almost positive my old one had some flame on the back; must have been a fluke.

- E.

Comment

http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/brid...Rose_Parts.pdf

$5.50 from Warmoth. I'd just order one up, and not deal with the hassle of a repair center or whatever.

Comment

Absolutely fricken beautiful. I too, am a sucker for chlorine.
            I still keep practicing though.... Mostly because I hate my neighbors.-MakeAJazzNoiseHere

Comment

Awesome quilt on that one! Congrats!!

Comment

I have yet to play one but they sure look good, especially that one. Those have a mahogany body and a sustainer, right?
                Just one more guitar!

Comment

http://www.warmoth.com/hardware/brid...Rose_Parts.pdf

$5.50 from Warmoth. I'd just order one up, and not deal with the hassle of a repair center or whatever.
                  Thanks. I'll see if Brian can get me an exact replacement, and if not, I can go down that route. I have to order a gold humbucker ring like I had on my last one, too.

- E.

Comment

Originally posted by scotty View Post
                    I have yet to play one but they sure look good, especially that one. Those have a mahogany body and a sustainer, right?
                    Yes on both counts. Brought it to jam night last night and used it on a Paul Stanley song we were messing around with; sounded very, very good. I love mahogany.

- E.

Comment

That's such a nice guitar. I wish the local music shoppe would allow me to try the one they've had on their wall for the last year collecting dust because they won't let anyone try it.
                      "Dear Dr. Bill,
                      I work with a woman who is about 5 feet tall and weighs close to 450 pounds and has more facial hair than ZZ Top." - Jack The Riffer

"OK, we can both have Ben..joint custody. I'll have him on the weekends. We could go out in my Cobra and give people the finger..weather permitting of course.." -Bill Z. Bub

Comment

Be grateful you've got one to gawp at. The only USA Jackson over here I can find is a snakeskin DK1 caked in body scratches and they still want £1800 ($3600). And they won't let anyone touch that either (note: AFTER it's already been mullered).
                        Fuck ebay, fuck paypal

"Finger on the trigger, back against the wall. Counting rounds and voices, not enough to kill them all" (Ihsahn).

Comment

Originally posted by Ben... View Post
                          That's such a nice guitar. I wish the local music shoppe would allow me to try the one they've had on their wall for the last year collecting dust because they won't let anyone try it.
                          Interesting business strategy.

- E.

Comment

Originally posted by srommes View Post
                            Best bolt-on guitar made as far as I'm concerned.
                            Certainly as good as you can get without going full custom.

I have played all the top boutique guitars - Suhr, Anderson, Langcaster, Baker, Warrior, Zion, etc... The PC1 IMO is as good as high quality as any of them.
                            PLAY TILL U DIE !!!

Comment

Beautiful guitar. This may be a stupid question but why do they use a string retainer tree on a guitar with a locking nut?

Comment

Originally posted by sparky View Post
                                Beautiful guitar. This may be a stupid question but why do they use a string retainer tree on a guitar with a locking nut?
                                You want your strings to be flat across the nut before you lock it down.
                                One, it keeps even pressure and string contact on the nut, and two, it makes tuning a guitar with a Floyd much easier.
                                Try tuning a guitar with a Floyd and a non-angled headstock without a string tree and you will see what I mean.
                                As soon as you lock the nut down, everything goes sharp.
                                -Rick

Comment

Working...
                                X