Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Jackson King V Project (almost complete)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Thanks for the compliments guys.

Metalchurch - It wasn't so much that I completely forgot I had it, but it has been in the case completely stripped of all its parts for the last 8 years or so. Most of the parts I took off it I had put on other Jackson guitars I had picked up over the years. Every so often I would move things around in my house and come across the case and pop it open and go "yanno I should get this refinished and put back together" but never got around to it.

I ordered a TB Duncan. I had to go back and find some of my late 90's Jackson catalogs to see what spacing they used with the Kahler bridges on the KV-1's to be certain. I don't think the pickup itself is any bigger, just the spacing of the pole pieces is a lil different.

My father also plays guitar and he has all his new toys shipped to my place (so his wife doesn't find out ) so I wind up storing quite a few different guitar cases. After a while I forget what, if anything, is in 'em. I think there's actually an old crappy Hamer in the garage somewhere.

Newc - hehe I am sure the Mustaine fans would pay pretty good for an old DM serial# Jackson. But there was no way I was going to sell this guitar. It's the first customshop Jackson KV I ever got. My folks had been putting away around $100 bucks a year for me so I would have some money to purchase a used car when I turned 16. After I begged them for about 6 months to get me a King V in 1992 they finally said I could spend the money they were putting away for a car on the guitar if I wanted to but that would mean no car at 16. As you can see, I went with the guitar.

Wanna hear something crazy? The guitar cost me $1400 bucks in 1992. Yep, customshop Jackson guitars for $1400 bucks. Wish I had a time machine, lol.

Nazgul - Yeah, the "Made in U.S.A." is a little bit larger than the factory logo. Same with the little circled R above the "N" in the logo. There are a couple of sites that sell decals of the logos. Size wise they're a little bit closer to factory, but the person I had paint the guitar said she could airbrush the logo and it wouldn't be a problem.

Brooke - I like the Silver too. I had considered just getting it refinished in Silver but there are so many different Silver paint variations out there I was afraid that I wouldn't be able to find one I liked as much as what was already on it. So I went ahead and did this project with this guitar. I have an order starting with Jackson right now for a new Silver King V. Still not sure if I am going to go with Silver Sparkle or Mercedes Silver. Waiting for some samples. My guitar was "Silver Metallic" according to the work order.

Thanks again for the compliments guys. I'm itching to get this thing set up and playable again. Will be my first guitar in a long while to have passive pickups. I've been using EMG's for a while, and frankly I am getting sick of 'em. :ROTF:
    Last edited by Brian; 08-28-2008, 09:39 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
      I ordered a TB Duncan. I had to go back and find some of my late 90's Jackson catalogs to see what spacing they used with the Kahler bridges on the KV-1's to be certain. I don't think the pickup itself is any bigger, just the spacing of the pole pieces is a lil different.
      Don't Kahlers have adjustable saddles so you can actually set the string spacing to what you want?

I prefer the silver, but the black does look very good. Nice job.
      I feel my soul go cold... only the dead are smiling.

Comment

Good gawd...

At first I was like "what did you do to that cool guitar?!?!".

But now you turned it to something really cool!
        This will be the ultimate Dave-replica guitar

Don't forget to post pix when it is done

Comment

Originally posted by toejam View Post
          Don't Kahlers have adjustable saddles so you can actually set the string spacing to what you want?

I prefer the silver, but the black does look very good. Nice job.
          Yep, the Kahlers do have adjustable saddles. I am not 100% positive if they can be adjusted exactly for a SH6. I just went ahead with what they used on the KV-1's. I also came across my work order for the cracked Mirror KV-1 I used to have (wish I never sold that one ) and they used TB spaced pickups on that one as well.

Comment

Great guitar, man. Mustaine's Megadeth logo KV was the one that lead me to order a King V (the KV1,2,3 names weren't around yet) way back in 1990/91. It's one of the two I really wish I'd kept.

Comment

Originally posted by TreeFitty View Post
              Great guitar, man. Mustaine's Megadeth logo KV was the one that lead me to order a King V (the KV1,2,3 names weren't around yet) way back in 1990/91. It's one of the two I really wish I'd kept.
              Nice! What were the specs?

Comment

Nice work, man!

But I do like a silver v...

Comment

GATDAM dude! That was great looking in silver sparkle, but the new version kicks ass too. I admit I once made a Megadeth sticker exactly like that, and put it on my KV-pro. Having it painted on is even cooler!!
                  Sleep!!, That's where I'm a viking!!

http://www.myspace.com/grindhouseadtheband

Comment

Awesome guitar bro! Keep the pics coming as it progresses along!
                    - Adam

Comment

Working...
                    X